When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Repair to a Girrard Perregeaux Quartze

pessa

Hi all,

Just wondering is there anybody out there that can repair a GP352 Quartz movement. I have a NOS GP in beautiful condition but the movement is not working. I have read a couple blogs that they can be repaired but I have been unable to find anybody willing to take the repair on. Can you recommend someone ?

Regards

pessa

• 3 months later...
On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2015 at 7:38 PM, SSTEEL said:

Can you detail the issue you are experiencing with this movement?

SSteel,

I am sorry I never replied to you but some big things come up with my family and I had to ignore my watches for awhile. I am still interested in getting my GP fixed.

In answer to your question the watch is completely dead although it appears brand new. I took it into a watchmaker who replaced the battery but it still did not work. Do you know of anybody who could fix this type of watch and maybe has the parts required. Any information you could give me would be much appreciated and I am prepared to pay what ever it costs within reason.

Rgds

pessa

The movements in these GP quartz are old- circa the early 70s. http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&Girard-Perregaux_353

From reading automatico's links it look like they can be finicky. Batteries that work are possibly the 386 and the 357. You really need to find a watchmaker that works on quartz watches. Don't know where you're located, but even a GP dealer would be a good option if you had one close by.

Questions that need to be asked on old quartz watches like this:   1...How much will it cost to repair it?   2...How much is it worth after repair?   3...Is it going to be reliable considering the lack of parts and skilled repair?   4...Is it an 'in demand' watch that can easily be sold when the time comes?

Answers (imho):  1...A lot.   2...Not much.   3...Probably not.   4...No.

Unless the case is solid gold, like new, and cheaply priced...I would pass on it. Lost cause headaches are a dime a dozen.

I have three mid to late 1970s quartz watches in this category that I have held on to for years. Here is why I kept them:   1...One is nos and two are 'like new'.   2...They all are solid gold.   3...They all were running when put away.   4...They are all Bulovas so there may be parts floating around.

Are they desirable and easy to sell?   No, the only things going for them is they are solid gold (I bought them far below current gold prices, around $150 each), and the fact that being Bulovas, they are not worth much more than the gold content so I can put a non Bulova movement in any of them without lowering the selling price much, if at all.   Otoh, the GP has value only as long as it is all original and running.

The same 4 questions above applied to the Bulovas:

1...Very little.   2...Depends on gold prices (Bulovas usually have the heaviest gold cases of them all).   3...They will be reliable.   4...Always easy to sell at the current gold price, maybe sell for more as a dress watch.

First up, does the movement go into hand setting position ok?

does the date change over ok when the time passes 12pm?

Does this movement have "quick set" date change? If so is it working ok, does the date change over crisply?

if all these functions are ok, then take it to a decent watchmaker who has a Quartz testing machine.

there are a series of 3 or 4 easy tests that will determine what is wrong with the movement.

with this information you can start the hard part of sourcing the replacement part/s.

Join watch forums, introduce yourself, be polite and explain in a sympathetic manner what the watch is, why you want to repair it, what you have done so far to repair it and lastly...what you require.

I have just read a blog "RaulHorology" he repaired one of these. Make contact, but above all do not steam in with "can you sell me the part I require"

with a bit of patience and the correct approach, you may get it running.

good luck.

• Like 1