When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage/Aged Distressed 1016 Explorer

playboycaviar

I had a very cheap 1016 dial that already had some minor damage and had been sitting around for a long time, so I decided to try and build a "vintage" or "aged" 1016. The hands came from an Ofrei multi-piece kit, and the crown is gen from an old DJ. Bracelet is a generic rep with light steel wool distressing. 

The case is JMB's with a T21 "superdome." I asked him to distress the case, and it was absolutely gorgeous upon arrival. I took a little bit of light steel wool to top of the lugs and by complete accident scratched the crystal, but it actually ended up adding some character that fit the look. JMB's custom bezel is really gorgeous so I tried to not touch that. His craftsmanship in general is always first class, so even lightly distressing the case made me feel some guilt. 

I know the "aged" or "vintage" look is not for everyone, but I wanted to give it a try just to see how it would turn out. The aging of the dial and hands is a mix of methods found both on this forum and others. Please let me know what you think or if you have any tips. Thanks!!

IMG_0791_zpsqe23ne0f.jpg

IMG_0792_zps1rgt0xvt.jpg

IMG_0795_zpskydznvjq.jpg

IMG_0793_zpsrts5z4yl.jpg

Edited by playboycaviar

Aged is good, abused is not unless you live waaaaaay up north and have to fight off polar bears on your way out back to the crapper!  Yours looks good and I think that, if it's to be worn, makes it look a bit more believable.

• Like 1

Aged is good, abused is not unless you live waaaaaay up north and have to fight off polar bears on your way out back to the crapper!  Yours looks good and I think that, if it's to be worn, makes it look a bit more believable.

Haha. I raised the contrast a bit to make the details more visible for web, but on the wrist it actually barely draws the eye. Which is what I really love about the 1016...very inconspicuous unless you know what you're looking at. Plus I know a guy who makes cases that aren't half bad...

Looks amazing... and as somebody who likes to add a little age and patina to builds you've given me something to think about with my own JMB 1016 build.

The dial/hands look to have come out really well. I know many if the methods but could you share which processes you used on this particular build - dial/hands mainly?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk