When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5513 Sub rep. bezel really loose

RickFlorida

Hello gents and ladies,

I just got a Josh/Cartel 5513 Rep, (the one that comes with 21J/DG2813) and I'm impressed with the fit and finish but the bezel spins very freely.

Do they not use any flat tension spring at all or is there one in there I can adjust?    Have people used gen. replacement type tension spring washers?  I'd rather do that then make one.

The funny thing is, I only need the midcase and would not have cared if anything else was broken or not working.   I bought it for a build I'm wanting to do.  Such is my luck.   

thanks for any advice,

Rick

Edited by RickFlorida

Hi Rick,

The cartel 5513 bezel construction had indeed a similar bezel construction of the gen .

Midcase + Crystal with a retaining ring keeping the crystal on the case.

Then a washer/tension ring comes above the retaining ring and will retain the bezel to the retaining ring. Then you have the insert laying out on the bezel.

So the bezel assembly has 4 components:

Retaining ring

Washer/tension ring

Bezel

And insert

The bezel turns bi directionally with friction, no clicks.

Here is one of my gen specs bezel assembly (not cartel!!) + genuine inset .

d73ea41c231d1d7bc64d00b4c23a9a99.jpg

Hi Rick,

The cartel 5513 bezel construction had indeed a similar bezel construction of the gen .

Midcase + Crystal with a retaining ring keeping the crystal on the case.

Then a washer/tension ring comes above the retaining ring and will retain the bezel to the retaining ring. Then you have the insert laying out on the bezel.

So the bezel assembly has 4 components:

Retaining ring

Washer/tension ring

Bezel

And insert

The bezel turns bi directionally with friction, no clicks.

Here is one of my gen specs bezel assembly (not cartel!!) + genuine inset .

d73ea41c231d1d7bc64d00b4c23a9a99.jpg

Ah thank you.

I have much to learn.  Luckily, I'm a very fast learner and somewhat mechanical.

May I ask you then, how can I adjust the tension?   It's way too loose.  It has almost no friction.

Ah thank you.

I have much to learn.  Luckily, I'm a very fast learner and somewhat mechanical.

May I ask you then, how can I adjust the tension?   It's way too loose.  It has almost no friction.

Could you please show me a pic of your 5513 I will confirm you the maker so the bezel construction, because lately I saw a lot of 5513 that has a mon gen like construction with an octogonal spring retaining the bezel to the case and indeed the bezel turns freely with no friction at all and this is impossible to solve that way.

But in the case that yours is really a cartel 5513. Then you can put a knife besides the bezel and turn it until you pop off the bezel, then you will have to bend the washer/tension ring which is probably to fat and this explain the fact it rotates freely from the inside to the outside of the washer/tension ring

Yes, I would like that very much so I'll post a photo tonight.    There is a lot of confusion so I'd like to know what it is too.   For example, some of them come with 2836/46 clones.   But some have DG2813 which are very different.  I bought the cheaper one because all I wanted was the case.

I'll try to post later tonight.

Here you go.  Sorry for the blown out white balance.  I was in a hurry.

So is this the right kind of Josh/Cartel?  I bought it directly from Sead1999 (Sandro Lica?)

I like it.  Maybe I'm just too OCD and use to the newer clicking bezels, but I swear mine is way too loose.

If it's Gen. Like construction, I would even be willing to buy a different bezel and maybe with the new crystal it will all be tighter.

aahjte.jpg

qmzy4w.jpg

205aya0.jpg

ff0qrn.jpg

I don't have a picture, but I checked between the lugs.   It says "1665 registered design" on one end and "the funny "Stailess Steel" misprint.

So it is indeed Cartel but the 1665?      Luckily, the misprinted engravings are only laser engraved very lightly.  I will remove these in order to build my Tudor Sub.

So can I expect the correct tension/washer ring in the bezel to bend and add tension?

I am really confused as to whether this is the JoshCartel 5513 or not.

Anyone know from the photos?  I just need to be sure because I want to order a 26mm tudor dial for the case.

How are dials measured because to me it seems closer to 29mm .

the dial says yes.

its not a bad looking rep, tremendous value

its the new version of the cartel sub.

yes measure the dial across e.g at both sides 9 and 6

mods to consider:

better dial / hands

crown

closed 580 endlinks

bezel assembly

crystal

thats a $400 plan though

• Like 1

Anyone know from the photos?  I just need to be sure because I want to order a 26mm tudor dial for the case.

Yes, this is the new Cartel model. The old midcase with the stubby crown guards has been replaced with a 1665 SD midcase without an He valve..

That is indeed a Josh cartel 5513 (I had dozens of it lol for builds also )

That is indeed a Josh cartel 5513 (I had dozens of it lol for builds also )

As HH said,

I suggest you to catch a 702 Athaya crown and tube,

A better tropic 19 with lower some like a service tropic 19 style.

Lugs drilled to fit 2mm spring bars and WSO 580.

A Better bezel assembly with a gen insert (service insert they are not expensive compared to the fat font etc...)

A better dial,

The bracelet is IMO already very good but the clasp has an ugly coronet logo so a yuki 93250 clasp or a TC 93250 clasp will do the job if you don't want to spend a lot of dollars on a gen bracelet,

An ETA 2846 low beat + gen service tudor hands or TC hands (because of the big Mercedes circle hand !)?

We seem to be off in the weeds here... the original question was about tightening up a loose bezel. 

To really see whatcha got there, you'll need to pop the bezel off and post photos of all the parts and the case where the bezel came off.

Then we can tell you how to tighten it up.

OK, great.  I will open it up soon.  I already did order an Athaya 702 crown and will want to get a better crystal.

I'm just surprised that the dial is 26mm.  I'm guessing the super dome crystal magnify's the dial so it appears larger than it really is?

I will be very happy if I can just buy a better bezel or tighten up this one and add a better insert.   I might just be very used to the stiffer ratcheting bezels but I still think it moves very easily.

We seem to be off in the weeds here... the original question was about tightening up a loose bezel. 

To really see whatcha got there, you'll need to pop the bezel off and post photos of all the parts and the case where the bezel came off.

Then we can tell you how to tighten it up.

I will do this tonight.

Thank you.

Yes, this is the new Cartel model. The old midcase with the stubby crown guards has been replaced with a 1665 SD midcase without an He valve..

I think you are right because they laser engraved 1665 between the lugs.    I'm going to rub these off, they mispelled "stailess steel" on one side, LOL.  Got to love it.  So the fixed the crown guards but could not spell stainless steel?    

Thank you.

You could always have JMB do some custom engravings for you if you got to the very end point of the build and wanted Tudor engravings on it to finalize it. You could make your own serial #, too.

Yes, thank you.  That's what I indeed contacted him about already.  He is very friendly and quick to respond.   It's a bit expensive but he know's what he's doing so I guess it's worth it.  I will probably have him engrave between the lugs, but for the case back, I believe the Rafflestime Tudor caseback fits these.     Machine shot rates are probably 75 dollars an hour, and so his charge of about 2 hours worth at that rate sounds correct.  

Edited by RickFlorida