When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Phong and MQ's shop in HCMC?

mir36

MQ's address is on their website and there's a picture even.

I would go unannounced , perhaps with someone who speaks Vietnamese and ask for prices, perhaps you can make a few good deals while you're there!!

Phong is based in the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although Phong has a USA business address, I believe many of his resources are VN based. He & MQ have the best aftermarket parts which leads me to believe they share some resources. if you look you may find  some of the  best resources that exist in Ho Chi Min City. Several stories exist about many   vintage Rolex rep finds that emanate from that city!

A report following your visit would be wonderful!

best, mcotter

So I visited MQ's shop today. It's right in the main high street shopping area, near the 5 star hotels in Saigon. He was out playing golf but his assistants were kind enough to help. 

First the 6538 case:

54F128D8-6F38-40AA-B253-AC04F115E03B_zps

36C1ED85-62AA-4B40-A6A1-8EDC9DBD0828_zps

0C7A09D2-BC89-471D-AD1C-70718EB8F301_zps

What I really wanted though, was the 5508 in his showcase:

F8C0912E-15CD-4D82-9E60-3C0C3BF0A896_zps

A69570B3-16E3-4779-AE2E-CBBA060F833C_zps

he had a 5508 case available:

10BB5BD5-4704-4881-9624-E247517CDBBA_zps

what do the experts think? 6538 or 5508  I'm here another day and debating whether to pick one up  

thanks for looking  

Phong is in the US.  I had a 16610 case made by him.  There was an issue and he had me mail it back to him with the band and he fixed everything and gave me a new case with a new number matching my movement.  He is amazing IMO.  Pricey but amazing.  I am about to pull the trigger on a 1665 case.  I sent him pics of the Gen dial I brought and he offered me a deal and a half which covers everything but the movement and band.  I just need to recover from all the other builds I have going on.  

I'm not crazy about the 5508 case, the lug holes look to large, are too close to the edge especially the one on the right, and the lug angles look different from the complete watch just above it.

So what are you looking to buy, the complete watch or just a case set ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just want a case set. They're offering full builds but the dials don't compare to the dark lord's work. To be honest the prices I was quoted weren't that much better than what you would get buying online. I thought they would give me a sweet deal for a face to face transaction. I'm still thinking it over. 

Frankly I would pass on both cases. First of all, engravings suck donkey balls. If you got one, make sure it's sterile and get it done by neckyzips or other.

The case of the complete 5508 is better than the mid case so definitely pass on the loose mid case.

So really, I'd say pass and get a phong instead. His recent cases seem to be better and more consistent than in the past (with the exception of the bevels. His bevels still kinda suck for the most part).

Here's a gen 5508 for comparison

41607bda9b5ddaeb93023c5b2f4f30be.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just want a case set. They're offering full builds but the dials don't compare to the dark lord's work. To be honest the prices I was quoted weren't that much better than what you would get buying online. I thought they would give me a sweet deal for a face to face transaction. I'm still thinking it over. 

Who is this Dark Lord you speak of please? I'm a big fan of Phong cases, but his dials could be better.