When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

TC Repair in Seattle

Tiyal

Picked up a TC for a friend and it looks like she left the crown unscrewed and got it just a little wet. (Black residue near the stem) Anyway the keyless works is jacked up. It won't wind (maybe a twist or two then slips) same goes down the line for the time and date. Once it's set it's great.

anyone have a recommendation for a local shop that she could just drop it off and have them sort it out? 

Thanks 

image.jpeg

No recommendations for repairs, the two folks here that I use are mymanmatt and misielkped , and they aren't anywhere close to Seattle. But the USPS will deliver a package right to their front door.

Question, have you removed the Caseback and looked to see how much moisture is really inside? If there is any, the movement needs to be dried out, hopefully it wasn't seawater (salt)? Another thing, I'm not sure that a little moisture would mess up the keyless works, but I'm certainly not a movement expert.

To be honest, I haven't heard of anyone in that area that repairs reps. Droptopman is up in that area, so possibly he might know someone who could give it a look see. Also a lot depends on the movement. Is it and Asian clone, or an ETA? Some independent watchmakers will work on reps with ETA movements, most won't fool with clone movements or the cheaper 21j movements.

First thing tho she needs to make sure it's dried out inside. This may require removing the Caseback. In the meantime, unscrew the crown and pull it out to the 3rd position, then put it in a jar of dry rice that has a top that will seal. Also you can use a few of those silica packets, same principle, to draw the moisture out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. If any one ever digs this up and has a connection please drop a pm on me. @paneriai123, there was no moisture by the time I opened it up just the black residue, not sure what she did (TC Eta clone). I'll swap out the keyless works and maybe even the stem at some point. In the meantime it works fine just a challenge to set and wind. 

Heres some yesterday pictures crossing from Alaska into Japan for your visual enjoyment. #747

FL400 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

OP, just food for thought but the problem might be a bad crown clutch and not keyless? A number of TC subs have had crown issues. I believe TC posted a thread on it on his website.

Either way, good luck and beautiful pics- thx for posting!

+1

I've had similar issues with the crown. Feels as if it disengages while turning. I almost need to pull on it a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk