When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

how do you think the rep makers decide on which watches to rep?

tyrantblade

Im not talking about the usual AP, PAM, Rolex, or Tudor and to an extent Omega  (basically any variation of the Planet Ocean, Seamaster 300, Aqua Terra and a few others) either 

I mean models that actually haven't been done before and are quite different from models they have already done 

I personally think every model they do thats different, is different for the wrong reasons 

Either its ugly as hell and/or looks like the oddest "watch" (i wonder how some can be called watches) out there 

Or they just choose the wrong model, it doesn't sell well, and then they give up on the brand

Until they rep any model from a certain line of a certain brand out there Im decidedly not buying any models brand new, if i do buy any models  (it could be a while) of any reps it will likely be m2m

If what i want actually pops up m2m when im ready, which isn't very likely since im banned on 2/4 of the rep forums i know of that are any good, and im also picky as to what size watches i like and what models i like and always go full stainless

Who knows? Sometimes I believe that there isn't any rhyme or reason to their thinking. Maybe the guys in charge of the rep decisions see watches that strike their fancy, or watches they think will sell, maybe because of and association with a famous person, such as the Richard Mille "Bubba Watson or Rafael Nadal" watches. Sometimes they build a pretty darn accurate watch, like the BP Fifty Fathoms, sometimes they are so bad, they are almost comical. One thing that all of the examples that these not so well known watches have in common is that when you buy one, what you get out of the box is what you are stuck with! Unlike the AP's, Rolexes and Omegas that you mentioned which have lots of genuine and aftermarket parts available for modding, these brands have practically nothing available. So for all practical purposes, if the watch is inaccurate to start with, there is little hope of making it better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can say without reservation that the below is used, my sources are well placed.

Image result for wigi board

are you sure they don't do that "Charlie Charlie" thing where you ask yes or no questions to a Mexican demon named Charlie (should it not be Carlos at least since hes Mexican?) With pencils forming a cross and yes and no written on a piece of paper?

I saw a bunch of fake Seiko 5 a few years ago for $40 each and I could buy genuine gray market Seiko 5 back then for $45 if I got 20 at a time. The $45 price included the box/papers, for a few bucks less they left the b/p off. Still see fake 5 today but they are a lot cheaper, bought one for the movement a while back for $12, signed bracelet and all but it had a 'pot metal' case where the others had steel. Iirc the genuines are now up to about $50 with box.

Have a rose gold plated over steel manual wind dressy AP and a matching raw steel AP, never saw any like them on the cartel ads.

Also have a couple steel Oakley Time Bomb automatics from 6 or 8 years back, they look pretty good. Not many of them around I bet.

...and a few steel fake cartier jumbo size square Santos style from back before the genuine 100 came out. They were called 'convertibles' and have a white dial/black Romans with screws in the bezel on one side and a black dial with silver Romans and no screws in the bezel on the other side. They have two quartz movements and a /convertible' leather strap and buckle.

I'm sure they do marketing research like any company to determine whether or not they think there will be a decent enough market for a rep.

I think there would be some apparent sense or reason then, which there clearly isnt

I mean why that stupid Tag SpaceX? Pretty dam ugly if you ask me

It will probably go the way of the LW one, wont sell well and then they may see it as that Tags no longer sell well, just like how they seem to have given up on Breitling 

Method 1: They get their hands on a gen watch that can be dissected. This may be any watch, it´s repped because it´s there and can be dissected, for instance a SpaceX:)

Method 2: Somebody else replicated it; if somebody did it, it must sell well, get a copy for cheap and replicate it - including all flaws and spelling mistakes;

Method 3: a factory is producing a gen homage and there are many rejected casesets, parts, whatever; just print the logo on the dial and some other minor change and You have a new rep;

Method 4: just check what is the newest release from any brand and rep it.