When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best eta hands for a 6542 build?

ogladio

That depends on what year build you are trying to replicate.

First off, the ETA 2846 would be the slow beat movement, use the same GMT conversion parts as the ETA 2836, and closer to the original.

Early 6542s had the 13mm minute hand, later and serviced 6542s had the 12mm, which was used in sport Rolex to 2006 when they went maxi. Helenarou is the only one I know of for the 13mm hand. The hands that most suppliers sell are good and quite acceptable. I like Clark's hands, sold as 'Tudor' to fit the ETA movement.   

The first pic is the 13mm minute hand on an ETA 2846. Both the minute hand and the GMT hand go right to the gilt ring when looking straight on.

The 2nd pic is a 12mm minute hand from Rafflestime on a DG3804b movement.

dial.JPG

Dial1.JPG

• Like 2

That depends on what year build you are trying to replicate.

Early 6542s had the 13mm minute hand, later and serviced 6542s had the 12mm, which was used in sport Rolex to 2006 when they went maxi. Helenarou is the only one I know of for the 13mm hand. The hands that most suppliers sell are good and quite acceptable. I like Clark's hands, sold as 'Tudor' to fit the ETA movement.   

Superb answer, think both those hands look good. What exact type from HR is it that you refer to, could you happen to have a link? E-mailed with him and we talked about "vintage 13mm" and he said he knew just what I was after - but was very disappointed about what I received...

They are impressive

Thanks for the photos, I will see if I have anything similar for P.

Thank you Micky, that would be awfully kind of you!!

Thanks! The dials took some work, time and patience, but I think I got it right. I do wish I had younger, more steady hands for the lume!  

I can't find the link for the 13mm minute hand on Helenarou's site. They were pictured in gold, and they said silver was available. I bought two sets, the first shipment was the 12mm, so they had to ship again. I bought them back in the summer of 2014.

On my 6204 Submariner, the longer hand is very apparent and striking. It makes the watch.  https://rwg.cc/topic/172220-look-ma-new-hands

On the 6542, likely because of the complications, it is not as prevalent. When I put my two 6542s side by side you really have to look to see the one with the longer hand.  So, I don't know how important it might be to you.