When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Good 5512/5513/7928 square/pointy CG cases?

hologramet

nope, those were the two initial he sent. I'm going to ask for more angles.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Make sure you check all sides, especially the lug profile, bevels (chamfers) and lug holes!

The case I received only had bevels cut on 1 lug. The lug holes were not drilled at the same height on both sides, which meant I had to re-drill them at an angle to fit spring bars. Also the lug-shape ended up being completely different in the case that I received vs the case I saw on the pictures.

It's very easy to hide all this at the right angle. So make sure you get straight facing shots from the sides (check out Robert maron for example pics of how to take good shots of vintage Rollie's).

Make sure you check all sides, especially the lug profile, bevels (chamfers) and lug holes!

The case I received only had bevels cut on 1 lug. The lug holes were not drilled at the same height on both sides, which meant I had to re-drill them at an angle to fit spring bars. Also the lug-shape ended up being completely different in the case that I received vs the case I saw on the pictures.

It's very easy to hide all this at the right angle. So make sure you get straight facing shots from the sides (check out Robert maron for example pics of how to take good shots of vintage Rollie's).

yea, your story makes me very hesitant to make a $600 jump, especially given those two limited selected shots "showing off" the case. perhaps he will be a great source, but a decent dial maker doesn't necessarily make a decent case maker. still hopeful.

slay, what was Tonny's response to your case's issues?

yea, your story makes me very hesitant to make a $600 jump, especially given those two limited selected shots "showing off" the case. perhaps he will be a great source, but a decent dial maker doesn't necessarily make a decent case maker. still hopeful.

slay, what was Tonny's response to your case's issues?

Nothing really, aside from 'oh so sorry, watchmaker send different case'. Even wanted more money when I asked how much a different reference was. I didn't ask for any compensation, but I doubt he would have given me anything. I'm handy with tools, so I just fixed it myself. Not worth arguing over this for nothing (the vibe I got was that he didn't really care if I I order again or not, he does have limited stock/capacity to make new stock that he can sell and he won't be able to sell 10s of cases or dials at a time anyways).

Oh and please don't reference me in any convos with him, since I'm still waiting for a dial from him for over a month now and I am still hoping to get that dial.

Weird choice of pictures to share, I think this guys business has gone boom overnight, maybe that's the reason for crap pics as his eBay pictures and Instagram pictures are very nice... Who knows, however slightly dubious.

I've been in contact with him for some tropical gilt dials and he seems responsive but almost like he's not that "interested" almost as if he's a middleman for other parties. Oh and tropical gilt are $500 to $600. I passed.

Those are the same SCG photos I was sent as well. The case itself looked good to me, but as others have said, I'm hesitant to order given slay's experience. Dealing with the fake bad english and run-arounds is endlessly frustrating.

I got enough of that from Phong when I ordered a case and he sent me a case with a crooked crown tube as well as a bezel insert folded in half like a potato chip - and then shipped the same insert back to me. Patience is the name of the game in this hobby, I have learned, but I'm crossing my fingers this guy is a better source! 

Edited by Revere

Those are the same SCG photos I was sent as well. The case itself looked good to me, but as others have said, I'm hesitant to order given slay's experience. Dealing with the fake bad english and run-arounds is endlessly frustrating.

I got enough of that from Phong when I ordered a case and he sent me a case with a crooked crown tube as well as a bezel insert folded in half like a potato chip - and then shipped the same insert back to me. Patience is the name of the game in this hobby, I have learned, but I'm crossing my fingers this guy is a better source! 

Interesting that you mention fake English... What makes you think that? The replies I got were all in the middle of the night (4am) for most parts of south east Asia, which made me question whether he's really based there.

Otherwise Definitely a middleman. He admitted that someone else send the case when I confronted him about the case that didn't match the picture he send me.

I like some of his dial, and the SCG case look good from back.

Obviously as Beachcomber says, and whit the Slay not too good experience, i'm not too confortable to pay his price not too cheap for uncertain item that not match is QC pic.

Edited by LovesOldsWacthes

Interesting that you mention fake English... What makes you think that? The replies I got were all in the middle of the night (4am) for most parts of south east Asia, which made me question whether he's really based there.

Otherwise Definitely a middleman. He admitted that someone else send the case when I confronted him about the case that didn't match the picture he send me.

I actually meant more generally, not necessarily with Tonny. Tonny has been super responsive and very communicative. 

The SCG case posted above looks good... The chamfers also look better than the sort of chamfers I've seen on the two phong cases I have received.

• Like 1