When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help greatly needed & appreciated for both a 9401 & 1665 build

RageRover

I know you've been asked this a million times!  But, I can use some help!  ANY & ALL with a Tudor SnowFlake 9401 and also a 1665 would be GREATLY appreciated!

I've read all the guides (on multiple sites), unfortunately, a lot of the links don't work anymore.

Yes, I've used the search feature, it helped a bit... But still dead links and/or no pics.

1) I'd like to build a Tudor 9401/0, aka a "Blue SnowFlake"
2) and a 1665 "Great White" (Unless you think the Double Red " DRSD" is a better choice, I'm happy w/ red too.  If you look at the pics, Trusty seems to have both correct 1665 case backs)

My budget for each watch, as low as possible ($500? +/-).

* For 1665, It seems my choices are basically "Cartel" (which supposedly has better crown guards now), the unavailable MBW or possibly another TD.  Any other choices?  Most seem to go Cartel for a budget build.  I can't afford a Yuki, Phong, NK, etc now.  Hopefully in the future.

From Trusty: 
RVIN024A "DRSD" or 
RVIN024B "Great White" 
which are both the cheaper 1665 versions, not the revised version for $50 more.  Just to making sure I order the correct watch!

Do the Cartel 1665s (like above) have the proper dimensions (thickness, diameter, etc) to gen or are at least are very close? And even closer after working on the case?

How about HR/"Helen"?  I haven't seen a newer 16600 or old 1665 SD case offered.  But maybe it's available? Toro has a decent looking 1665 "DRSD".  As do some of the other TDs, although most say they're the same?  Does anyone/any TD have access to "NOS" MBWs?

I understand that PT/Andrew's 1665 is different than Cartel.  Im not happy with the case back either (sorry Andrew).

* Now what about the 9401?  Once again, most seem to go with a 5513 Cartel?  Maybe a 1680?  I understand they're stamped 1665, but does that mean their shape is based off the 1665 and they're very "off"?  Like too thick?  Or it just needs some time with a file or Dremel and you can get pretty close to something from Yuki or Phong? I know every case has it's fault and nothing is perfect!

**Does a 5513 or 1680 Cartel case have the proper dimensions (or very close)? Or it's really a 1665 case and too thick?  Or... Is the 1665 too thin and really closer to a 5513/9401

Some have gone with the HR case for a 5513 or 9401 build, which may be closer in shape?

I had another idea, Is a 16600/16601 a decent start for a 1665 project?

How do 16600 dimensions compare to a 1665?

Yes, the 16600 case back may cause a headache, I'd have to drill spring bar holes and the helium valve is different.

For the 16600 valve, my friend welds... The valves are just glued in, even the Cartel 1665 have glued fake valves.  Maybe "pop out" the 16600/16601 valve, weld up the hole, finish the case and eventually drill it for a real valve from Yuki?

Yuki has an ETA 16600 $185 case/dial/hands/crown/crystal?  I was only able to find one post, it didn't get high marks, to put it gently.  And supposedly no amount of work can fix it?

I plan to do all/most of the case work myself (I used to make jewelry, silver cigar tubes & cases, etc as a hobby).  So I think as long as I go slowly and keep measuring, I'll be ok.  If I need help, I'll deal with it when I get there!  

Overall, I have a decent idea how to age the case, I was able to read that link! What parts to use (Yuki, HR or Frei hands, bleached Frei or Clark insert w/ Frei or Yuki 12:00 "pip", Clark Tropic crystal, gen or an Athena (sp?) crown, and maybe a Clark bezel (reports say Cartel bezel improved) or maybe try a round file to slightly "sharpen" the bezel?

If you think a part is better (in looks, quality, price, any reason!) than another, PLEASE tell me!

After the case, I'd say the major question/issue would be the dial.  Most seem to like Yuki?  But there's also Ken, HR, FleaBay (fake or re-painted Singer)...  There are others, I just don't have their links or address.  Feel free to PM or email me, I'd be forever VERY grateful!

If you have a preference for any parts or any tips, please let me know! 

Hopefully the Asian 3135 movement will drop in price & get a proper finish and Rolex factory engraving soon, like the Panerais!

Thank You Very Much for your time & help!

You could try this SD- 1665 Great White- from Josh- it's the same as the one Trusty has but for less.

http://www.pf-818.com/-p-7806.html

Might have to click on the link twice as is usually the case with Josh's site. You can start with that and make some mods if you're so inclined.

The old PT (Puretime Intl) GWSD was good also- had a 2846-2 movement in it which is the best for a vintage Rolex sub/SD. But I don't know if it's still available.

I bought a MBW DRSD almost 18 years ago and it was a great piece.  Over the years I replaced the usual parts (crystal, insert, crown etc) and gen parts worked just fine.  It was a very, very believable and solid piece. 

We have a member here, Rolexfinder, who put up a sale thread in the last couple days, and he can get a GW or DR 1665 from the last remaining MBW stock.  If you're really interested in doing it right, buy one of those.

Here are some comparisons between old MBW and gen:

valve.jpgback1.jpglugs1.jpg

• Like 2

First off, I agree with Nanug of the north!! Go with the MBW cases, for both your builds. The MBW 1665 as well as the MBW 5513/1680 case.both accept gen parts which is a big plus when you are building Frankens.

The a3135 movement is not what you want, mainly because it is a fast beat movement used in newer model watches,i.e the 16610, not the 1680. What you need for both of your builds are serviced ETA 2846 movements, which are slow beat.

You can send your MBW Caseback (1680) to jmb and he can engrave it properly for the 9401 Tudor.

AFA the choice between the 1665 white or red dials, one consideration is can you pull off the red? Gens are selling for pretty big prices, probably at least 50 to 100% more than comparable condition whites. Also remember the Caseback lettering is different so you will need to decide the color before you buy the case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What he said ^^^

The GW and DR are different beasts and the DR will attract a buttload of potentially unwanted scrutiny. You have to make that decision before you move forward.