When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Modding the MBW

UmpaHimself

Hey guys!

There is a lot of excitement with the MBW NOS sale being posted. I didn't hesitate and bought all three Subs, 5512, 5513 & 1680. I have been slowly learning about the better mods but prior to the sale I was focusing on Cartel models so I am not sure how that applies with these watches. I would like to ask you guys, what would be the first things you would mod? I don't think I want to get too crazy, probably going to stay away from gen parts. I know the pearl needs to be changed. Would you change the whole insert as well? The crown and tube? The dials look good and the date wheel looks pretty good on the 1680 but not sure about the digits for each day. What's the best bang for the buck here?

I think my first mod will be an Otto Frei pearl. I'm trying to do my research, but all the threads on these watches are so old links and pictures are no longer working. There are tons of blanks. :( 

Edited by UmpaHimself

The Ofrei pearls are very good. At one time in the past, it was stated here that they were from the same source that makes the pearls for Rolex.

Probably the most common mods to these are

Gen Insert/pearl

Gen crown

Rework the crown guards

Drill out the lugholes to accept gen or aftermarket springbars

Nice thing is these watches have the correct movement I believe.

If not the best bet would be an ETA 2846 slow beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The Ofrei pearls are very good. At one time in the past, it was stated here that they were from the same source that makes the pearls for Rolex.

Probably the most common mods to these are

Gen Insert/pearl

Gen crown

Rework the crown guards

Drill out the lugholes to accept gen or aftermarket springbars

Nice thing is these watches have the correct movement I believe.

If not the best bet would be an ETA 2846 slow beat.

Thanks for the info. That's interesting to know about the pearls. I was more looking at a budget build though. Wondering if there are any glaring issues on the MBK that are an easy fix (not talking about CG or case reshaping just yet). Should I be worried about the crown, maybe change it for an Athaya? How about the crystal, should I go with a Clarks? Also, what is the most popular insert besides gen currently? I was reading a bunch about pmwf.com inserts but that site seems to no longer be active. Would a WSO insert be any better then the stock MBW?

I also see Otto Frei sells a generic insert with the pearl included referencing the 5513. It's only $10 more then the pearl itself. Would that be worthwhile?

http://www.ofrei.com/page_151.html#2569

See I duck out the door for a while and this happens............:bangin: not heard about this has anyone got a link for the sale ? 

Hahaha! Not sure how many are left but here is the thread. https://rwg.cc/topic/182328-vintage-rolex-5513-1680-5512-1665

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. That's interesting to know about the pearls. I was more looking at a budget build though. Wondering if there are any glaring issues on the MBK that are an easy fix (not talking about CG or case reshaping just yet). Should I be worried about the crown, maybe change it for an Athaya? How about the crystal, should I go with a Clarks? Also, what is the most popular insert besides gen currently? I was reading a bunch about pmwf.com inserts but that site seems to no longer be active. Would a WSO insert be any better then the stock MBW?

I also see Otto Frei sells a generic insert with the pearl included referencing the 5513. It's only $10 more then the pearl itself. Would that be worthwhile?

http://www.ofrei.com/page_151.html#2569

While you buy an Athaya Crown, pick up some acrylic pearls from him too.. They're worth the ridiculously low price he charges.

While you buy an Athaya Crown, pick up some acrylic pearls from him too.. They're worth the ridiculously low price he charges.

Thanks for the tip. Are they similar to the gen/ofrei or more like the WSO pearls? I am trying to look at the thread where he's selling them but the only picture is of another members Snowflake Sub and it looks more like the WSO.

Anyone know if the Athaya tube is a direct replacement on the MBK. I'm thinking not but crossing my fingers at the same time.

Edited by UmpaHimself

I've been looking for an athaya 702 crown and tube- I've checked the website but can't see them. Also checked their eBay store but no luck either. Anyone know where I can get them from??

I've literally just ordered a 700 crown and tube from Athaya (Aka Adrian). I did it through PM on the homage forum. I think your best bet would be to PM him over there. He responds pretty quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can also find the crowns on eBay, item number   171641398405

I leave MBK cases as is except for drilling the lugs out to 1.3mm and maybe exchanging the crown and pearl dot. The watches are probably worth more unaltered...so no grinding/reshaping for me. Better letters and numbers between the lugs would be good and maybe blow some $$ on a case back with better lettering if the watch is a keeper (the catch is with new numbers/letters and case back you are close to or over Yuki case prices). You can also remove the bezels and install the O ring in the case top under the crystal retaining bezel if desired, none of the MBK cases I have came with the O ring but they have the groove. I have a few DW cases with good case back letters so can I swap them out but DW submariner case backs come in two sizes so you have to match them to the MBK case.

The bottom line to all this you may be better off with a Yuki case and dial if you plan on extensive modifications to an MBK case using a genuine movement etc. My two Yuki cases (5512, 5513) do not have the groove under the crystal retaining bezel but the groove is easy to cut for anyone with a lathe. dbane said :   "Gen 5513's, prior to the mid 70's, did not have the gasket channel in the mid case."   so you would not want to go to the trouble of cutting the groove in a Yuki project 'made' before the mid 1970s. With an MBK case the gasket groove really does not matter because you can not see the gasket or groove when the watch is together and the shallow engravings between the lugs give them away as a replica anyway.

Etc, etc...

9 hours ago, Time taker said:

I've been looking for an athaya 702 crown and tube- I've checked the website but can't see them. Also checked their eBay store but no luck either. Anyone know where I can get them from??

Yeah, you can see his stuff on the homage forum

3 hours ago, automatico said:

You can also find the crowns on eBay, item number   171641398405

I leave MBK cases as is except for drilling the lugs out to 1.3mm and maybe exchanging the crown and pearl dot. The watches are probably worth more unaltered...so no grinding/reshaping for me. Better letters and numbers between the lugs would be good and maybe blow some $$ on a case back with better lettering if the watch is a keeper (the catch is with new numbers/letters and case back you are close to or over Yuki case prices). You can also remove the bezels and install the O ring in the case top under the crystal retaining bezel if desired, none of the MBK cases I have came with the O ring but they have the groove. I have a few DW cases with good case back letters so can I swap them out but DW submariner case backs come in two sizes so you have to match them to the MBK case.

The bottom line to all this you may be better off with a Yuki case and dial if you plan on extensive modifications to an MBK case using a genuine movement etc. My two Yuki cases (5512, 5513) do not have the groove under the crystal retaining bezel but the groove is easy to cut for anyone with a lathe. dbane said :   "Gen 5513's, prior to the mid 70's, did not have the gasket channel in the mid case."   so you would not want to go to the trouble of cutting the groove in a Yuki project 'made' before the mid 1970s. With an MBK case the gasket groove really does not matter because you can not see the gasket or groove when the watch is together and the shallow engravings between the lugs give them away as a replica anyway.

Etc, etc...

Thank you for the writeup. I think I want to stay closer to what you are talking about. To start I'm thinking just the crown and pearl, then maybe later drill the lugs. I am tempted to have the CGs refined a bit more but if something goes wrong there probably won't be an easy way to get another case. I may convert the 5513 to a gilt but other then that I plan on using the stock dials, caseback and movements as is. Not going for a genstein at all.