When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1665 DRSD BUILD - *UPDATE*

AGONZCA

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 11:21 AM, AGONZCA said:

@panerai153 What dial did you use on this build?

Man,

I had  to go back and look at old emails and old PM's from back in 2010, when I built my 1665. I bought the dial from flex who is a member here, back in 2010. This is a dial that was one of two that Freddie looked at for his 1665 build. according to him it was a really close choice between the dial in his 1665 and this one. I suppose if it was a close second for Freddie, it is indeed a very nice dial. I believe that from and old PM conversation with Flex, this was an NDT dial, but I would have to ask him or Freddie to be sure. According to flex, these dials were "the rarest of the rare". What will seem strange to some, I bought this dial sight unseen, no photos, nothing, based on Freddie and Flex's descriptions!! At any rate the dial and all the rest of the components were sent up to Rob (Zeigmeister) who was the best of the best. Rob put the watch together for me. Sadly Rob left our ranks several years ago, retired and moved to and undisclosed location. He was the best and was and is sadly missed.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

After a while, this is the result of my build. Just got this pic from Misiekped.

Although I'm not 100% happy with the dial (accuracy issues), I do love the look of it.

I'll take a few pics when I get it and I'm still on the quest for a more accurate dial, hope I can make it happen soon.

Parts used:

- Phong case

- Tonny watches dial

- Gen serviced movement

- Gen correct silver DW

- Gen MK3 fat font insert

- Gen hands

- Gen NOS T39

- Gen 702 crown

becc454e85728ac0b5e28f5d0d02a52b.jpg

• Like 1

After a while, this is the result of my build. Just got this pic from Misiekped.

Although I'm not 100% happy with the dial (accuracy issues), I do love the look of it.

I'll take a few pics when I get it and I'm still on the quest for a more accurate dial, hope I can make it happen soon.

Parts used:

- Phong case

- Tonny watches dial

- Gen serviced movement

- Gen correct silver DW

- Gen MK3 fat font insert

- Gen hands

- Gen NOS T39

- Gen 702 crown

becc454e85728ac0b5e28f5d0d02a52b.jpg

Is it me or the lume looks too raised?

I'm glad you went with a phong case. After all those parts the MBW case would have been a major let down. I think it looks great. I wouldn't get hung up on the tiny details of the dial. At least you can use it until you find a better replacement. I would be very happy with that build if I were you though.

I'm glad you went with a phong case. After all those parts the MBW case would have been a major let down. I think it looks great. I wouldn't get hung up on the tiny details of the dial. At least you can use it until you find a better replacement. I would be very happy with that build if I were you though.

Thanks@Umpahimself.

I'm also glad I decided to go with phong. As I said I'm happy with the final result, but having all these gen parts, it bugs me not to be able to go gen on the dial or at least a more accurate one. I will just enjoy it the way it is till I can find the right dial for this.

Looks very nice. You might contact some of the Rolex experts about sourcing a better dial. cc33 has built some outstanding vintage subs, he might be helpful in your dial quest.

Honestly, a genuine DRSD dial in good condition will cost you a fortune. Might want to spend some time on the Vintage Rolex Forum marketplace. Search DRSD dials, at least this will give you a sense of price and condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice build. The 1665 has got to be the best Rolex ever.

Here's my build (similar spec: phong case with gen dial/hands/bezel/insert/movement etc).

The phong CGs are waaaay too FAT and need reworking IMO.....which is a little disappointing considering the price.

I actually stuck with the phong tube as it is very high quality.

6ef923c44bb0d7f31e929302e3d6f092.jpg

Thanks for sharing pics.

1 hour ago, mech500 said:

Very nice build. The 1665 has got to be the best Rolex ever.

Here's my build (similar spec: phong case with gen dial/hands/bezel/insert/movement etc).

The phong CGs are waaaay too FAT and need reworking IMO.....which is a little disappointing considering the price.

I actually stuck with the phong tube as it is very high quality.

6ef923c44bb0d7f31e929302e3d6f092.jpg

Thanks for sharing pics.

That is superb. Some of the builds on here blow me away. Time to up my game, stop ordering more reps and start sourcing parts for frankens.

@mech500 - how much are NDT dials?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Isn't NDT out of the game? That's what I have heard. 

NDT dials are around $400. Think they use gen plates (not that matters).

I believe they are still in business. Had email contact last August.

Ingod44 sold the same stuff (at cheaper prices) but are out of the game

OP, have you considered a dial from nd trading?

Available with matching patina hands at: http://ndtradingcorp.com/cata-11-dials--rolex//5

46b962a303d568bd1072737b90fe6990.jpg

b91813f8113c3ed52bbc7070e975852a.jpg

I have seen NDT dials and I can say they have almost same issues as MQ and Tonny's dial.

I'm currently working on a custom dial which I hope turns out as I expect.

• Like 1