When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best 6536-1 / 5508 Small Crown Bezel?

pam007

http://www.ebay.com/itm/QUALITY-MADE-COMPLETE-BEZEL-SET-REPLACEMENT-VINTAGE-SUB-REF-7016-9411-/171044673988?hash=item27d30e99c4:m:mdeTbYtYDPbLyJFrzh06yWg

this is the closest I could get- I call this person 'son of Phong'- you might see if he can get you a bezel for the 6536/5508. Or you could try Phong...

My 5508 from NDT 8 years ago has the paper clip bezel- a crystal retention ring and the brass alloy bezel with the 8 sided wire in the bezel.

I think the 6536-1/5508 uses a coin edge bezel. 1st pic is a gen. 2nd pic is my 6204. 3rd pic is the new bezel. 4th is JMB's great work.

I used my 6542 bezel on my 6204 build. The GMT coin edge bezel differs from the Sub coin edge bezel by having the lower part of the coin edge, where it sits on the case, tapered or stepped in. Untouched, mine are made with that taper. My bezels are made of brass and lightly nickel plated. I used a bit of elbow grease and a scotchpad to take down the plating to expose the brass for an aged look. That flattened, or at least reduced the step to a more Sub look. Obviously it can be taken down further that I did. This is a clip on, gen styled bezel, with spring and retainer. The inside diameter of the stainless steel retainer is 30.226mm. You might need to make it bigger to work. I don't know if this will help, but it's a thought.

Also, our own JMB did my case engraving. 

6536-1.jpeg

3 2015 2.JPG

bezel.jpg

2015 Brevet.JPG

These are the profile you're looking for. Phong makes the best for a 6538, with MQ right behind him, so those are good starting points for a 6536/1 too. Be sure the bezel is for a 6536/1 or 5508, as the 6536 is a rare beast and takes a different crystal and bezel.

2.jpg

6536_finished3.jpg

Thank you everyone for your help.
There seems to be some inconsistencies with how wide the teeth are.

Anyone know why this is the case?  Nanuqs Bezel Vs Freddy's Bezel.. the teeth size is different. 

I found this Gen Bezel for a 5508 6536/1 and it looks like the teeth spacing is like yours Nanuq

The 6538 just seems taller / Deeper to compensate for the taller crystal.

Photo400.jpgPhoto402.jpg

There were at least 3 different versions of those early Sub bezels (that I am aware of). If you search the gen sites, you will see. This was typical of Rolex sport watches in the 50s.

My guess is Rolex either changed the design as production ran or the bezels were sourced from different suppliers, but that is only a guess.

• Like 1

Freddy, isn't that a tog bezel? They had thicker coin edges.. The 6536, 6204/5 and 5508 bezels had thin coin edges like on Nanuq's gen. Ask phong if he has the shorter ones (shorter then his 6538 version) if not ask Minh the same question, a 6538 bezel will look out of place and theres no way to shorten them at all.

Just had a look to refresh and the tog bezels were the same except for the size (smaller) I guess yours is a rare version with 'thick teeth", most I've seen have the thinner ones. 

7 hours ago, cc33 said:

Freddy, isn't that a tog bezel? They had thicker coin edges.. The 6536, 6204/5 and 5508 bezels had thin coin edges like on Nanuq's gen. Ask phong if he has the shorter ones (shorter then his 6538 version) if not ask Minh the same question, a 6538 bezel will look out of place and theres no way to shorten them at all.

Just had a look to refresh and the tog bezels were the same except for the size (smaller) I guess yours is a rare version with 'thick teeth", most I've seen have the thinner ones. 

6536-1%20vs%206202%20bezels_zps4gxnk6b3.

Image1.jpg