When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need help regarding MBW lugs hole ...

themannier

Hi mates !

First of all, i don't know if last batch of MBW 5513 has the gen spec lugs hole dimension :g:

So, if it doesn't have the gen diameter(1,2 mm), i wonder if spring bars for Rolex datejust 16014 will fit into the stock case ? Seems that the pins have a smaller diameter ...

I am trying to find this option because i won't be able to drill the lugs hole !

Thanks for reading :)

First of all, I doubt the last batch of MBWs had the correct lughole size- they never have before.

I'd certainly give the DJ springbars a try- they're cheap from Clark's.

Also, someone else mentioned the Marathon springbars

https://www.topspecus.com/shop/genuine-replacement-marathon-stainless-steel-spring-bars/

• Like 1

"I wonder if spring bars for Rolex datejust 16014 will fit into the stock case?"

Yes they will work. They are .9mm at the tips and the tube is 1.8mm in diameter. One tip has a 1.25mm shoulder and the other end does not, it's .9mm all the way. The shoulder should rest against the inside of the lug but if the lug holes are a little bit oversize, the shoulder may go into the lug and cause the tip of the spring bar to stick out of the lug and you will need to trim it.

Submariner spring bars have 1.2mm tips and 2.0mm tubes so I usually drill lug holes out to 1.3mm to make a little extra 'wiggle room' because many (if not most) hood/bracelet combinations are not made to exact spec...1.2mm is too tight, 1.25 will work if everything lines up but 1.3mm makes it easier to r/r bracelets. You can also slightly taper the lug holes on the insides of the lugs when using submariner spring bars to help guide the tips into the lugs but do not taper them when using DJ spring bars. Do not cut any taper at all on the outside holes in the lugs and polish any burrs left on the outsides from drilling by sanding the sides of the lugs with 600-1000-2000 etc wet or dry sandpaper under running water with the sandpaper folded over or glued to a flat, rigid sanding stick. Also be careful not to sand into the bevels on the lug tops.

A small flat aluminum bar about 10 or 12mm wide, 5 or 6mm thick, and 100 mm long +/- makes a good sanding stick as it is flat and rigid. You can usually find aluminum bar stock at Home Depot, hardware stores etc. Do not use steel as it will really put a gash in a case if you slip.

All my MBK cases needed to be drilled and if you drill the lugs out, make sure none of the holes are too close to the bottom or top of the lugs. MBK cases are really good about being centered but it is always something to look for. I have seen a lot of cases ruined by enlarging lug holes that were already too close to an edge.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, automatico said:

"I wonder if spring bars for Rolex datejust 16014 will fit into the stock case?"

Yes they will work. They are .9mm at the tips and the tube is 1.8mm in diameter. One tip has a 1.25mm shoulder and the other end does not, it's .9mm all the way. The shoulder should rest against the inside of the lug but if the lug holes are a little bit oversize, the shoulder may go into the lug and cause the tip of the spring bar to stick out of the lug and you will need to trim it.

Submariner spring bars have 1.2mm tips and 2.0mm tubes so I usually drill lug holes out to 1.3mm to make a little extra 'wiggle room' because many (if not most) hood/bracelet combinations are not made to exact spec...1.2mm is too tight, 1.25 will work if everything lines up but 1.3mm makes it easier to r/r bracelets. You can also slightly taper the lug holes on the insides of the lugs when using submariner spring bars to help guide the tips into the lugs but do not taper them when using DJ spring bars. Do not cut any taper at all on the outside holes in the lugs and polish any burrs left on the outsides from drilling by sanding the sides of the lugs with 600-1000-2000 etc wet or dry sandpaper under running water with the sandpaper folded over or glued to a flat, rigid sanding stick. Also be careful not to sand into the bevels on the lug tops.

A small flat aluminum bar about 10 or 12mm wide, 5 or 6mm thick, and 100 mm long +/- makes a good sanding stick as it is flat and rigid. You can usually find aluminum bar stock at Home Depot, hardware stores etc. Do not use steel as it will really put a gash in a case if you slip.

All my MBK cases needed to be drilled and if you drill the lugs out, make sure none of the holes are too close to the bottom or top of the lugs. MBK cases are really good about being centered but it is always something to look for. I have seen a lot of cases ruined by enlarging lug holes that were already too close to an edge.

Thank you very much for your help mate...so, if i have well understood, i can install old datejust bars(0,9 mm) without mod ?

14 minutes ago, alligoat said:

First of all, I doubt the last batch of MBWs had the correct lughole size- they never have before.

I'd certainly give the DJ springbars a try- they're cheap from Clark's.

Also, someone else mentioned the Marathon springbars

https://www.topspecus.com/shop/genuine-replacement-marathon-stainless-steel-spring-bars/

Many thanns for the link !

8 minutes ago, automatico said:

"if i have well understood, i can install old datejust bars (0.9 mm) without mod?"

Yes, as long as the holes in the lugs are somewhere around 1.0mm.

I hope they are !

On 23/2/2016 at 4:13 PM, automatico said:

"if i have well understood, i can install old datejust bars (0.9 mm) without mod?"

Yes, as long as the holes in the lugs are somewhere around 1.0mm.

edit:   "Also, someone else mentioned the Marathon springbars"

The Marathon spring bars look like a good option too.

The marathon spring bars are fine but shipping to France is... usd 38,90 with priority mail international :huh:

Just ordered the same thing from Clark's http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spring-Bars-for-Rolex-Bands-Old-Datejust-20-mm-/252278094555 ;)