When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

2007: No Dropshipping For Me Anymore

bigmouth

So true, first thing i look when i see a rollie sub on a wrist in the wild is the alignement of markers, then datewheel/mag, then crown/crownguard.

A lot of reps have misplaced markers, for me it's also the nr.1 giveaway of a fake.

You can see the allignment of a marker on a persons wrist while passing????

Then you should be called eagle eye.

I`m already glad if i can make out the brand and the model.

I think a lot of the people are used to blown up pics and magnifying glass to see the flaws and forget thats not how other people see them.

I think a lot of the people are used to blown up pics and magnifying glass to see the flaws and forget thats not how other people see them.

LOL :D No not when they are passing, but for example when they are sitting in front of me in the metro, train or next to me at the restaurant, bar etc. Don't want to offend the rollie fans but a lot of rolex owners really like to show off their watch in public :rolleyes:

You are right about the 6 marker, seems like they have problem with the "12" as well; particularly if it is a numeral since the 1 and 2 have to be properly alligned and centered.

I am guessing the markers are attached by hand? I can't think of why else they would be so bad...

So True,.. 12 or 6.. sometimes both are always off,... 12 is usually to the right or left of center,

and stuck up too high touching the minute lines., and 6, though usually pasted center is always pointing

at 11:58 or 12:02,.. :blink:

I have yet to Own or See one rolex in the trading forum that does not suffer from this flaw....and it has

totally turned me away from most rolex reps,.. I just wish the vintage rollies weren't so small

otherwise I would have alternatives,...rather than purchasing genuine dials which are so expensive...

Iwc gst also suffers from this at 12 or 6 but they can be fixed in a jiffy even by a moderate modder

like myself...

Breitling reps seem to be fine though.... Anyone have reports on VC ?

I have only owned one, an overseas, and the 12 lume triangle was twisted,..

I plan on buying two more of the 42mm new version overseas,.. and hope for the best....

Very interesting thread. To be sure, like most noobs, I used I expected a rep to be, well...a replica, an exact copy of the overpriced watches, you know, Panerai, tricks all their customers into shelling out waaay too much money for. Sooner or later we all find out that reps ain't...replicas. They're cheap watches masquerading as overpriced watches. Some of them manage a chameleon act that is truly amazing, but I can count the reps that have indistinguishable-from-gen fit and finish on half of one hand. So, yeah, misaligned thingamajigs and maybe even a nickiepoo or two are to be expected.

That being said, it seems a little glib and a lot too easy to write off the OP's dissatisfaction as noobian misaligned expectations. Every rep collector should expect to receive a watch that's at the very least in good working order, and it's certainly not unrealistic to expect a watch that is reasonably similar to the obviously best-of-the-batch piece in the dealers' pics. IMO, most of the OP's complaints represent pieces not reasonably similar to the pics he saw in the dealers' albums.

Drop shipping....is definitely not WJWD, but it is a fact of life in the rep biz....but we can

t really defend drop shipping, can we...let's face it, drop shipping lends itself to more wrong and defective watches than hand picking does which is not to say that hand picking results in 100% Customer Satisfaction no matter how many reasons there are that hand picking is better.

Very interesting thread. To be sure, like most noobs, I used I expected a rep to be, well...a replica, an exact copy of the overpriced watches, you know, Panerai, tricks all their customers into shelling out waaay too much money for. Sooner or later we all find out that reps ain't...replicas. They're cheap watches masquerading as overpriced watches. Some of them manage a chameleon act that is truly amazing, but I can count the reps that have indistinguishable-from-gen fit and finish on half of one hand. So, yeah, misaligned thingamajigs and maybe even a nickiepoo or two are to be expected.

That being said, it seems a little glib and a lot too easy to write off the OP's dissatisfaction as noobian misaligned expectations. Every rep collector should expect to receive a watch that's at the very least in good working order, and it's certainly not unrealistic to expect a watch that is reasonably similar to the obviously best-of-the-batch piece in the dealers' pics. IMO, most of the OP's complaints represent pieces not reasonably similar to the pics he saw in the dealers' albums.

Drop shipping....is definitely not WJWD, but it is a fact of life in the rep biz....but we can

t really defend drop shipping, can we...let's face it, drop shipping lends itself to more wrong and defective watches than hand picking does which is not to say that hand picking results in 100% Customer Satisfaction no matter how many reasons there are that hand picking is better.

Wisdom as usual.... I would like to point out however, that it seems from past experience

that some dealer's eyes, may not be up to the task to what we may personally expect, be that due to

optical weaknesses, time contraints or whatever,... people, are people and like watches, prone to fail you...

Add that to the fact, that it seems that most small operators have limited selections, or buying power,

to compete price wise,.. makes for a complicated issue that will continue to plague the most thoughtful buyer...

That's exactly right. Mis-aligned markers are not the #1 tell of a rep. Usually, the person wearing the watch is a #1 tell of a rep. I could wear a gen Sky Moon Tourbillon and 99% of the people who know me, or what I do for a living, etc would assume it's a rep--a Sky Moon tourbillon, or any watch much beyond 5 or 6 grand or so, just isn't plausible on me.

IF you can pull of owning and wearing a gen sub, 99% of the people who know you won't see past the "Rolex" and will assume it's a gen, misaligned markers or not. If you can't pull off wearing a gen of the reps you own, you might as well head down to the corner and buy a $20 day-date "daytona" because everyone is going to think you're wearing a fake anyway.

For me,.. Mis-Aligned markers are the worst and most obvious mark of a replica,..

I don't care what others may think, .. it's a matter of personal preference,..

Have you heard that the mark of beauty in faces of people is closely related to alignment

of features ?

The face is also the most important aspect of a watch,... after all,.. it's the Face,..

that we look to our time keeping....many times a day..

I can overlook a bucket full of flaws,..won't even bother to look at cg's ..

but for me,.. unlike my taste in women,.. which the body plays an important role,... :wub:

a watch is 90% face,...and genuines have above all.. aligned markers,...

Strangely enough, I bought two Planet Oceans in 2006, plus received a third because one of the two was an incorrect combination of strap and case and therefor wouldn't fit together. All three had crooked 6 markers.

I found it much easier to just straighten them......

Did the ULTIMATE suffer from the same problem?... what is the best way to straighten them?

Thanks!

I can overlook a bucket full of flaws,..won't even bother to look at cg's ..

but for me,.. unlike my taste in women,.. which the body plays an important role,... :wub:

a watch is 90% face,...and genuines have above all.. aligned markers,...

LOL! My favoroite watch/women analogy of all time, and so true!

• 2 months later...
Excellent analysis - as always...

I also think that the original poster did have a run of bad luck, if I compare it to what I have gotten, I never had anything but minor minor issues.

Unrealisticly high expectations can lead to disapointement, as well as unrealistic expectations if trying to "mod" your watch to be 100% genuine in all aspects when viewed under a microscope...these are reps after all...nothing more...

RG

@The Zigmeister

i am sure that ALL dealers will NEVER send you a demaged watch. This were a very bad idea :thumbsupsmileyanim:

i think all dealers will get you the BEST controled watch, because they are afraid for your review

maybe this is the reason why you get mostly correct watches without issues. But other gets more times watches with small flaws

@The Zigmeister

i am sure that ALL dealers will NEVER send you a demaged watch. This were a very bad idea :thumbsupsmileyanim:

i think all dealers will get you the BEST controled watch, because they are afraid for your review

maybe this is the reason why you get mostly correct watches without issues. But other gets more times watches with small flaws

I got a pretty bad feeling about this if this is true.

Why? which means some of the high profile, well known member(s) will always get a watch with better quality in case they will post a "review" about the product.

*** I have no evidence to proof that or try to create a new storm, nothing more than my curiosity ***