When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Crystal for my Ranger project?

Vibes

Hi there, 

I have finally finished my ranger project and I am getting a little fogging under the crystal when washing dishes. I am wondering if there is moisture still in there from when I cleaned the threads for a new case tube with alcohol/ water. Anyway, the crystal is a Clark 25-123 and wasn't a very tight fit in the first place. I sealed it with crystal cement. The case is a Yuki 74000. Is there a better fitting crystal I should be using? Is there a chart with the measurements of the different crystals?

IMG_0590.JPG

There's not a chart that I'm aware of.

Yuki's site says this is a 34mm case so you could try crystals for 34mm cases w/o the cyclops. Maybe a 25-12 would work- the old T12 crystal was used on 5500 Rolexes. The 117 crystal fits the 1500 Date which is also a 34 mm case but then the cyclops could be in the wrong position. You could try some other 25-123s from other suppliers- plastic crystals do vary.

Also, investing in a set of calipers would be a good idea- $15 at Harbor Freight.

If you have moisture in the case, it will keep showing up from the heat of your wrist. Maybe you reseal the crystal, check your case tube and then dry out the works w/ the caseback off using a hair dryer- close her up and see how you do.

Thanks alligoat. I have ordered some new crown gasket as well. I will replace the crown gasket and dry out the watch before sealing it back up. I glued in the crystal quite well, so maybe I will get a pressure test after that. I have a set of calipers, so knowing the measurements of the different crystals will save me from having to just buy a bunch to try them out. The 25-123 is designed for a 34mm tudor and has the date window in the correct place. There is also the 25-141 and 25-125 and possibly others. 

I did a project a while back using a genuine rolex 1002 case, cal 1560, Yuki AK Explorer dial, and JMB 34mm tudor '74033' smooth bezel, with unknown brand of aftmkt crystal. The bezel came from a 34mm JMB 'tudor 74033' case and was the same size as a genuine spec 1002 bezel (1002 is an Oyster perpetual no date watch). I tried probably 5 or 6 different aftmkt crystals before I found one that was a good fit. It usually turns out this way and maybe you could gather up a few crystals and try them starting with an aftmkt rolex 25-12. A genuine tudor 74000 uses a 25-143 crystal but they are hard to find in the aftmkt. You will need to precisely measure your case neck OD and bezel ID and see if it is the same as oem in order to have an oem spec aftmkt crystal fit properly. Being a Yuki case, it should be the same as oem but you never know. The JMB cases are same as oem and look exactly like the Yuki cases except the Yuki cases have better engraving.

If you have to use crystal cement...something is wrong and it may not seal against water. Modern type 25-112 crystals have sharp top edges but older styles are rounded if you can find one.

The case necks of the JMB 34mm tudor '74033' case and genuine rolex 1002 and 5500 are all 28.15mm. The bezel ID on the JMB 34mm '74033' tudor case is 29.15, same as rolex 1002 and 5500.

'JMB' case = this is where I got them a few years ago.

I have always used a Clark 25-123 when I built Rangers and had no problems with the cases I use.  Maybe the rehaut is a bit small or the bezel is not putting enough squeeze on it.  When water resistance is vital I have pus a light "smear" clear silicone adhesive/sealant where crystal and case meet then press down the bezel.

"This is great info Automatico. Thank you very much! I will buy up some crystals, most are cheap enough."

The 1002 'explorer' I put together is a no date watch so no date magnifier problems. You can get in a mess with date mag offsets when swapping  crystals but since your watch uses a standard Eta movement maybe it will not be a problem. Where the trouble begins is when you have a watch with an Eta standard date offset and replacement crystals are made to the rolex offset standard.

I supplied the crystal part number from a rolex parts catalog using the tudor 74000 case number...the 74000 crystal is sapphire. There is probably a tudor watch with the same case dimensions that used an acrylic crystal but I do not know what the reference number might be. Maybe someone familiar with tudors will know as I am not versed on tudors. An acrylic crystal made for a 34mm rolex will have the wrong date offset.