When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is there a Good Fully working Planet Ocean chrono out there

richard591

Didn't get very far with the last question, so here we go again.

I have scoured the posts here about the Omega PO-chrono's and run through the listed PO's on most of the TD's sites. Still none the wiser. Can anyone who has one help me out?

I'm looking for the very best PO-chrono with full working chrono functions that is currently available. Many are listed as Faux function (not working) for hour and min recording dials, but I want a fully working one to compliment my genuine 1969 Speedmaster Moonwatch.

Would be pleased to get comments from anyone who actually owns one of these, if they are actually available. There seem to be a couple on Ryan's website at Intime, but really not sure as they look (and are priced) the same as others which are described as not fully working.

Names of dealers and best make would be much appreciated.

I know little about the PO chrono, but I'd post the model you're looking for to get more replies. However if the gen uses a 7750 movement then you're more likely to get a working chrono as it's easy to rep. 

Thanks. This is the link to one particular version available from Intime:-

It's described as a functioning chrono and Ryan at Intime says it is. Has anyone had experience with this model or a similar one from the same stable? Apart from the overall quality of the case, bracelet etc, I'm most interested in a reliable movement and the 7750 does seem to be ok. There seems to be only one other (orange bezel) which is described as fully functioning, all the others being described as Faux (non functioning) hour and minute dials.

You'll get mixed advice on the 7750 chrono movement. Some say they will fail eventually, sooner if the chrono function is used often. I have a number of them and have yet to have one fail, but I rarely use the chrono feature.

Ryan at InTime is a terrific TD. I'd suggest that you go for it and consider having the watch serviced to ensure you get the most out of it. Especially if you plan to use the chrono feature regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, here they both are. The gen from the Omega Catalogue and the rep from Intime website.

I'd say just looking at them that the sub dial spacing is just about ok. There are obvious differences, such as orange colour on bezel (may just be a lighting issue when photo'd) and dial number colour, plus the rep version seems to have "blacked hands" apart from the lume itself. Not sure if this is simply due to the fact that the rep was copied from an earlier model, which may have been susequently updated.

I think overall if you walked in to an Omega dealer they'd be hard pressed to see the difference without some close examination. That was certainly the case when I walked in to my Rolex dealer wearing my latest noob  V6s rep DSSD D-Blue to collect my Submariner from its service. They couldn't take their eyes off it.

I think the rep looks fairly good and if the chrono functions do work, then all the better. I own one of the first gen Speedmaster Pro moonwatches which were released after Apollo 11 landed (mod ref 145022-69) and which has only been used for 9 out of its 46 year life. Even during the period when I was wearing it (1970 - 1979) I barely used the chrono function at all. Using the same logic/principal, the rep will probably last me forever! I've attached a photo of that also in case anyone is interested.Omega 1.jpg

Gen PO chrono.pngRep PO chrono.jpg

Edited by richard591
duplicated a photo

Not quite sure about the last comment. The comparison is only between the two versions of the PO, the gen Omega & the fake from Intime & others.

The Speedmaster is mine and only there as an example of what a great, understated and elegant classic chrono looks like before Marj Simpson and the Muppets get hold of it and re-design it out of boredom. Wearing the Speedmaster in full evening dress (that's jacket and trousers, not an actual dress) you fell like James Bond, and he did wear one at one point. Even the genuine Omega would make me feel a bit more like Homer Simpson in a tank top in the same environment. Other than that, they're motorsport v diving in functional intent.

So, that's the defensive insults over.

The comparison I was looking at was between the gen Omega and the fake only, so here are my immediate thoughts before I buy one.

To me I just don't understand why Omega went for the "broad arrow" kiddy clock hands, this is one obvious difference. Not sure if this was an issue with some people, which could be why the fake has only narrow strip lume before the arrow head with the rest of the hands blacked out. To me it looks more balanced that way, but may have been simply a copy from an earlier model style. You certainly don't need "kiddy clock" hands for diving, Rolex never did and none of mine have.

There is an obvious difference in the orange colour on the bezels and the numbers. Not sure if this is a photographic/lighting issue or actual. Still, again I think I prefer the fake colour as it's a little less in your face than the gen. Not sure if anyone who has one can confirm that as accurate or not.

pcardoza's post/reply above comments on the movements, which is about all I can ask for at this stage. I know they are just not (even the gen) going to be as good as the calibre 861 movement in my Speedy. According to a watchmaker I was talking to earlier they are about as good a chrono movement as there has been in his opinion, but I defer to his knowledge on that one.

The other issue was the spacing of the sub-dials. From the photo's (which are not the exact same scale) they look about right and not obviously wrong. I assume this has something to do with the actual configuration of the 7750 movement itself.

The other issue in my mind would be the accuracy of the date change mechanism and if it has any weaknesses or problems, such as displacement.

So, those were the actual issues I was looking for comfort/comment on before re-starting my atler-ego life as Homer Simpson! If anyone has any further thoughts or actual experience of one - glad to hear it.