When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Spacer ring between dial and movement DSSD - A2836

richard591

Yes, understood. Thought that would be the case.

It's the noob V6s DSSD D-Blue with A2836. Am looking to get a couple of spacers (one spare) to finish the parts for assembling the spare hands/dial/movement I have. Intent is to simply have a complete drop in ready to swap when one needs a service. That saves me from dis-assembling one movement before sending it off. Was hoping someone might just have one on the bench.

Did order it ALL assembled. Sods law strikes again!!

Hang on, sorry, just noticed you're referring to the mid-case spacer. It's not that. It's the plastic dial to movement spacer which holds the dial face off the movement at a specific distance to provide clearance for the date wheel to rotate freely.

On the noob V6s the dial feet do not have "slots" which lock into the retaining clips on the movement like the ETA version. The feet themselves are slightly non-perpendicular to the dial face, providing a kind of primitive interference fit in the holes. The dial/movement spacer then seems to hold the whole lot firmly at the correct distance. Once in the case the whole thing is then solid.

Just one more example of how to cut corners with a cheap, but effective, solution I guess.

This isn't anything more than an anecdote, but my oldest four reps are about fifteen years old. In that time I have never had a rep refuse to tick while my omega has had three breakdowns and my Rolex one. Not really casting any doubts on the quality of genuine watches, but reps without complications aren't that unreliable. Buying a whole new movement, dial and hands is pretty much guaranteed under Sod's law to mean it is never needed.

I do enjoy them, fake and real, which is why I want to preserve them in as idiot-proof a way as possible. These movements are, from what you all say, very little QA'd on assembly and, also from what's been said, rarely lubricated the way they would/should be if they were genuine. This almost automatically means a potential for error or failure or limited time before problems.

By acquiring a spare movement etc I 'm ensuring that what you suggest is guaranteed with a minimum of fuss. I just happen to think that the V6s version DSSD deserves that. If I adopted the same idea of "leave it till it goes wrong" with my race cars - never would have completed a race. it's generally called "planning ahead"

The other problem I have specifically is that I live in France. In the UK, finding somone to deal with this was easy, to say the least. Not here. I took my Rolex Sub to what used to be our Rolex agent (no longer) for a price to service it. They wanted 950 euros. The standard worldwide price from Rolex is £460 or approx 575 euros or the equivalent.

Consequently, finding someone to fix a rep here is probably going to be frought with problems.

One of my happiest days was when I found a watchmaker here in Houston that would work on my reps. He also works on my gens and is reasonably priced. I don't know where you reside in France, but if you're in a big city, I'm sure there are independent repair guys that wouldn't be opposed to working on your reps. Also, there are watchguys on this  forum that work on watches and are in the EU. You need to start looking around. Also, your watches aren't a race car so that comparison doesn't hold water.

If you're worried about your a2836, the smart thing to do would be get it serviced and quit worrying! 

Hi alligoat, yes you're right and I have now found a little UK watchmaker who will do that. Just not trustworthy here in France. However, just let me put the issue into context.

The total capital outlay on new movement/dial/hands is $130. I have 3- reps being:- 1-sub and 2 - DSSD's. The movement will fit all 3 with either of the 2 DSSD's (dial and hands fitted) just being a simple drop in. For the sub it needs the dial/hands switching over.

The aggregate cost/investment per watch is therefore $43-33 and I can fix either of the DSSD's in 1 hour, or the sub in probably 2-3. Then I can send the movement off to be fixed at my convenience with all the watches still working. Also, don't have to risk the watch in the post, yes they do go missing and it's happened to me and a friend.

The cost of any skilled labour in France is approx 45 euros per hour, or around $50. Sometimes double that in the Uk, not sure about USA. Maybe that's why they wanted to charge me 950 euros to service my gen sub. So, in the great scheme of things I generally consider the investment to be good value. Yes I know I then also have to pay for the repairs, but the convenience factor outweighs the cost for me - maybe not everyone.

I tell you in all honesty, if I could find a source of Rolex caliber 3135 movements at the same price I'd buy a box load - did I hear someone say "yep, so would I"?

I must say that since joining this forum I have been absolutely amazed at the quality and quantity of posts from what are genuinely very enthusiastic buyers/wearers or collectors, plus some of you who are obviously very skilled in watchmaking. However, it's those comments that I've read which made me think this was a reasonable strategy.

Dare I say that I've also come across a potential problem of self detaching bezel inserts on subs/DSSD's. Probably not - as I'm likely to be seen as the angel of doom!! But I've fixed mine.

The movement holder varies from model to model, different factories have different construction, so you need to source the specific movement holder for the mid-case you have.

Hi Micky. I think he is speaking about the dial spacer, not the movement holder ring.

To the OP: any 2836 dial spacer will do the job. They can be found for 2€ on ebay. Ah, and they are metal made.

• Like 1

Where did you source your ETA from? When I purchased a new one from Ofrei, it came with one. Only it was a metal spacer used between the dial and DW. You should have had one. The spacer is usually standard and is tied to the movement as it needs to maintain the proper clearance from the DW. I may have a spare, but contact Ofrei to see if they may have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Am buying the A2836/dial/hands from the TD I bought the watch from - Ryan at Intime. It was supposed to come fully assembled, but as explained isn't, so will have to be done by me. It's just that the spacer ring is missing and I needed to send Ryan a photo to show him exactly which bit I was talking about.

Have subsequently found a photo of a whole packet of them for sale on e-bay, so have sent him that! He should be ble to work it out from there, that's what I paid for.

Well I wasn't saying your idea was in any way wrong and in the end you are free to do as you like. I admit I have spare parts in my watch drawers, just in case. My only point was that none chronograph movements aren't really that unreliable apart from the dreaded s3135. 

I tend to maintain my cars well and carry out a lot of preventative maintenance. On the other hand I have always had a policy of running the light bulbs in my house to failure. :-)

Hi Sogeha.

Yes I agree with you and rather ironically I'm currently using the noob DSSD (which I've re-regulated) to actually check the timekeeping on my Rolex sub, which has just returned from service. It's been running at about + 7 secs in 9-10 days so far. Hopefully, this might mean I have a reasonably assembled and lubricated movement. It helps a bit to use the face up or winder up routine at night.

I'm hoping I'm going to be surprised with the reliability and so far all 3 are behaving very well. Lets hope it continues.

14 hours ago, richard591 said:

Have subsequently found a photo of a whole packet of them for sale on e-bay, so have sent him that! He should be ble to work it out from there, that's what I paid for.

You got a link to those please?