When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

coronet fell off

K12AN

Hello all

I bought a replica Daytona a year ago and am very pleased with its appearance, although I appreciate it's not perfect.

Similar watch: 

http://www.torobravos.xyz/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=6263&product_id=1048

Last week the rolex coronet fell off the dial and I'd like to place it back in...what is the best method? Should I remove the crystal or the movement? Is it something I can do or do I need to send it somewhere? Being a rep it may be difficult to find a shop willing to do the work.

if it's a costly repair I may consider changing the dial to a yuki dial...does anyone know if it's compatible?

many thanks

No tutorial for reattaching a detached dial part that I am aware of. You can usually reattach using superglue or similar adhesive, but I would practice gluing small metal bits onto a practice plate before attempting it on your dial because it is VERY easy to get glue on the dial face. I have to say that the rep in the link is not very good, so you may be better off just replacing the watch with 1 from Trusty or Josh. To avoid throwing good money after bad, before hitting another BUY button, I would recommend that you do some research on whichever gen Daytona model you want & you might also check out By-Tor's Daytona reviews that should be available via the search function here on RWG.

& if you get glue on the dial, you are screwed - there is no way to fix it (without damaging the dial paint) other than replacing or repainting the dial.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, freddy333 said:

No tutorial for reattaching a detached dial part that I am aware of. You can usually reattach using superglue or similar adhesive

I strongly advise against using superglue inside a watch, the fumes will not only stain areas visible through the sapphire, they will cause problems with the movement also.

Use the correct watchmakers GS-Hypo Cement for re-adhereing indice, and badges back onto a watch dial, and take care to position correctly with the feet/holes (if any).

I'm referring to many a watch I have had on my bench where someone has used superglue inside a watch, and then sealed out up whgiulst the superglue is still not cured fully ;)  Leaves a right mess, and fogs up the underside of the crystal, and needs acetone to clean up.

Thanks Powermax.

I used the link as an example of what the watch looked like - I think mine is actually a better example and I bought it from Rochest at WatchInternational.

It is actually this one: http://www.noobwatch.com/replica-rolex-daytona-vintage-6263-silver-dial-mens-watch/

The crystal is domed on this watch. So should I remove the Bezel first and then Crystal? Do I need any special tools to do this work?

I am tempted to replace the dial with a more authentic one (with correct lettering etc) from Yuki. http://www.yukiwatch.com/catalog/item/9027239/10282041.htm

Has done this before?

If I'm going to open the watch etc, I might as well replace the dial with a better example?

I absolutely love this watch and wear it daily...it pretty much goes with everything and anything :)

that's a same...so looks like I'll need to get the watch opened up and the coronet stuck back on to the existing dial - which I like anyway, so not an issue.

I will reattach using cement (as advised).

My issues is how to I gain access to the dial? I need to remove the bezel and then the dome crystal (in that order)?

How do I do this without damaging it?

Hoping someone has done this themselves and can guide me.

I'm happy to pay to have this done (if cost is reasonable). Does anyone know of any watch repairers in London who would do this?

The most difficult part, assuming you lack the tools, will be refitting the bezel.

Depending on the construction of your particular rep watch, the bezel can usually be pried-off with a thin knife/blade. Sometimes, this can take some time if the bezel is tight or has been affixed with cement (cheap reps are often assembled this way). Just work the knife in a tiny bit in between the bottom of the bezel & top of the case. Move all the way around the case evenly &, eventually, the bezel will come lose & can be lifted off. Sometimes, it takes a few minutes, but, sometimes, it can take 30+ minutes. It all depends on the fit of your particular bezel/case. Once the bezel is off, the crystal, again, assuming it also was not cemented onto the case, should lift off (by hand) or can be gently nudged with the edge of the knife in the same fashion as the bezel (work slowly all the way around the crystal).

To reinstall, simply reverse the procedure - install crystal, then bezel. It is best to have a good caseback press & set of nylon 'pucks' that fit the perimeter of the bezel & perimeter of the caseback to press the bezel back on. However, if you are careful, you may be able to refit the bezel using an appropriately-sized pair of socket wrench sockets (or something similar - any round, cylindrical object with a smooth face that fits will work) & a vice. Just be careful to press gently, slowly & keep the watch centered in the vice so the bezel presses on evenly. Otherwise, if it gets pressed on unevenly, you are likely to warp it, which adds alot of additional headaches. Also, it should be obvious, but just to be clear, the cylinder you use on the bezel side (to press it onto the case) must not come into contact with the crystal as this will crack/crush it. You can probably find youtube videos that show how to press a bezel on to give you an idea of the process & make it easier to find substitutes for the nylon 'pucks'.

• Like 2