When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Real?

cavi

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ETA-2824-2-AUTOMATIC-Movement-DATE-3H-NICKEL-PLATED-SWISS-GENUINE-/131679755106?hash=item1ea8b99b62:g:DbYAAOSwrklVJVVT

What do you all think?  Real 2824 or chinese?  I am trying to get a new movement for my wife's explorer and honestly most of the seagull 2824 are $90 on ebay and this one is not much more than 200 so I might consider at least having a real deal if you all feel it is legit.

That's a lot to pay for an old movement- plus it probably needs a service.

And the seller says it's new- that doesn't seem right to me- that pointer on the balance isn't a current eta feature, plates are rough- I'd personally stay away and look for a better example

Agree with the above, its a lot for a NOS old 17J 2824.

100% correct. Even those these movements are technically brand new, after 10+ years( not sure when ETA switched to 25 jewels, but I feel like it's been over 10 years) they are going to need a service. You need to factor that into the price.
My experience has been that unless you are buying a movement that is no longer produced like the ETA 2846, by the time you buy the donor watch, pay for shipping, then pay for shipping to a repair person, then pay for a service, you would be better off buying a new movement. Another caveat, unless the donor watch is NOS, there is no guarantee that the movement will require just a service. If parts need to be replaced, the costs can multiply quickly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk