When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just Got This Back From Rsc In Nashville. New Crown And Tube Installed....come See...lots Of Pictures...

Justasgood

OK,

WM Red Sub came to me with OEM spring bars, poorly worked CG's, bad non-OEM tube/crown and the bezel gasket glued to the insert. The Crystal compression ring had been knicked (to give some friction to it) and the OEM127 crystal was in need of replacing.

So, I worked the case and tried to make the CG's look decent. Tapped the case and installed an OEM tube and triplock crown. Also, added gasket under crystal compression ring when I installed the new OEM 127 crystal as well as fixed the tension washer. It works like the gen now. won't turn unless you apply downward pressure and turn. Removed the bezel pearl and tried my hand at ageing the insert a bit.

The watch has been serviced and is keeping time at +3 secs/day. New caseback gasket installed, bracelet sanded polished sanded polished brushed and re-installed with new OEM springbars. Really worked on making the case look it's age. The bracelet sucks and I am in search of a quality rep period to this watch.

Enough of the alphabet soup.....here are some pics......still need a better insert and or vintage pearl. Anybody?

First, a family and friends pic...

180799-7360.jpg

Now, on to Big Red...

180799-7361.jpg

180799-7362.jpg

180799-7363.jpg

180799-7364.jpg

180799-7365.jpg

180799-7366.jpg

180799-7367.jpg

180799-7368.jpg

180799-7369.jpg

180799-7370.jpg

180799-7371.jpg

180799-7372.jpg

180799-7373.jpg

180799-7374.jpg

180799-7375.jpg

180799-7376.jpg

180799-7377.jpg

180799-7378.jpg

180799-7379.jpg

180799-7380.jpg

180799-7381.jpg

180799-7382.jpg

180799-7383.jpg

180799-7384.jpg

180799-7385.jpg

Oh yeah,

Here is my 5513 that is currently being traumatized....

180799-7386.jpg

180799-7387.jpg

180799-7388.jpg

180799-7389.jpg

180799-7390.jpg

Whew! Thanks for looking and thanks in advance for your critiques and suggestions.

Praise and attaboys are never frowned upon.....

Kurt

i think you will find that he was making a joke with this.

the only result from actually submitting to RSC for work would be a confiscated watch and a nasty lawyers letter :)

for the CGs, try removing more material from the outside rather than the inner edge. people always hack away here and open then up too wide and square them off too much when really its the outer where the majority should be removed. they need to be thinner but theres not alot i can think of to reinstate the inner curve on the red sub. the cgs are much closer to the modern subs as i can see from the photos but certainly better than standard thats for sure. a little bit of coaxing should get them even closer id think.

for your 5513, if you plan on keeping it seriously consider looking for a replacement dial. you can get gen ones for the 5513 for a few hundred dollars depending on condition and that will really improve the watch. theres probably some ok rep ones out there too.

ive one of these watches here and the dial is woeful. its nothing like a gen gilt dial but just looks like cheap yellow print before you even get onto the terrible font

with this staying inplace, theres no point doing any other work to the watch IMHO unless you just want to use up spare time. it really is that bad. the crystal could do with a change out too on the 5513.

edited to say, post above was made while i was typing. i didnt just not read it :)

Edited by thewightstuff

i think you will find that he was making a joke with this.

the only result from actually submitting to RSC for work would be a confiscated watch and a nasty lawyers letter :)

for the CGs, try removing more material from the outside rather than the inner edge. people always hack away here and open then up too wide and square them off too much when really its the outer where the majority should be removed. they need to be thinner but theres not alot i can think of to reinstate the inner curve.

for your 5513, if you plan on keeping it seriously consider looking for a replacement dial. you can get gen ones for the 5513 for a few hundred dollars depending on condition and that will really improve the watch. theres probably some ok rep ones out there too.

ive one of these watches here and the dial is woeful. its nothing like a gen gilt dial but just looks like cheap yellow print before you even get onto the terrible font

with this staying inplace, theres no point doing any other work to the watch IMHO unless you just want to use up spare time. it really is that bad. the crystal could do with a change out too on the 5513.

edited to say, post above was made while i was typing. i didnt just not read it :)

Ok just curious, I know the guy who runs the only RSC in nashville and he has worked on reps... although he actually had no clue (I didn't enlighten him either). If he had touched this one I was going to give him [censored] tomorrow.

BTW the watch looks great!

heres a quick edit of the cgs on my 5513. case has hardly seen any polishing since its 1962 issue.

i'll take proper pics of both this and my 5512 when im home later in the week if anyones interested in some pics to help them get their cgs closer.

Please do post those pictures. I'd love to see more of that crown guard, from all angles.

no that im doubting you but i find it incredible that anyone who handles rolex (and some other brands aswell) would be fooled when a rep was physically put in their hands.

beyond that, he would in most cases open the watch up unless the only job was an insert replacement at which point it would become spectacularly clear that it wasnt real if it hadnt already.

the only real conclusion is that he knew but didnt mind doing the work. im sure he will love the fact that you said he had worked on reps in the past though ;)

you had better hope big brother isnt watching

Edited by thewightstuff

no that im doubting you but i find it incredible that anyone who handles rolex (and some other brands aswell) would be fooled when a rep was physically put in their hands.

beyond that, he would in most cases open the watch up unless the only job was an insert replacement at which point it would become spectacularly clear that it wasnt real if it hadnt already.

the only real conclusion is that he knew but didnt mind doing the work. im sure he will love the fact that you said he had worked on reps in the past though ;)

you had better hope big brother isnt watching

We are friends so I don't see any issue; we talk watches & reps. He does NOT have an AD, he just does services for a fair number of them. I don't exactly go in to try on a rolex sub, I go straight to his bench. He makes his money from me off work, not sales.

You are correct he didn't open it up; I couldn't get my tag link chrono bracelet to come apart so I dropped by to have him fix it really quick. I know him well enough that your conclusion is incorrect; although opening the case would have revealed it instantly. I just didn't bother telling him this one was a rep (I take him both). Sharp & nice guy, this one just slipped under the radar. No big brother here, I am friends with the guy.

Thanks to all for the critiques and commentary. My watchmaker....also a very good friend, had no idea the Red guy was a rep. This man has been a watchmaker (Rolex Certified) for over 15 years. He helps me out with parts and tools and sells everything to me at 10% above cost.....except bezels dammit.

Thanks again and a BIG shout out to The Tigers of LSU kicking Da'Irishe's aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssssssssssssss.

Geaux Tigers!

Now, back to perfecting my craft.....

Sharp & nice guy, this one just slipped under the radar. No big brother here, I am friends with the guy.

if he didnt notice then i guess he most probably doesnt see many of those watches or take too big in interest. to assume someone is a WIS just because they work on them is sometimes an assumption too far i suppose.

just going by my own experience, i wear either a 5513 or 5512 daily and can sniff a rep a mile away (dodgy pics excepted chrono ;) )

put it in my hand and it becomes laughable.

by big brother, i meant in the orwellian sense. someone from rolex prowling this would loose him his rolex account for parts reading this. you think im joking, lets just say that independents with still active rolex order accounts are thin on the ground and rightly protective of them. one small slip, even selling a bezel insert can loose them their access.