When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New to hobby, question on BP Daydate

Timzerofive

Hi all, I just ordered a BP DayDate from trustytime after reading for a few days on this forum.  Just scratching the surface on learning about this hobby.

Im wondering if anyone can suggests some basic "mods" or fixes they would do to the BP watch.

I've read suggestions on switching bracelets to having a watchmaker tune the movement.  Any advice would be appreciated, as well as any suggested repair facility (I'm in SoCal).

Heres the spec of what I've ordered.

RDD0200H - DayDate 40mm SS/SS Blue Roman Flut BP A2836 Mod3255

Basel World 2016 New Launched!!! 
40mm DayDate Ref 228206!!! Ultimate Supreme Version!!! Produced based on Genuine Watch completely Dissected!!! New design 2 piece end link President Bracelet, Invisible Etched Crown at 6.00 within Crystal!!! 
Updated Asia 2836-2 movement with engraved Bridges & Rotor!!! 

MOVEMENT:
 Asia ETA 2836 Automatic Movement, 28,800bph, 25J with modified bridges & rotor like genuine Calibre 3255
CASE DIAMETER: 40mm (1 : 1 dimension against Genuine)
THICKNESS: 12.5mm 
DIAL COLOR: Blue Dial, Roman Markers
CASE MATERIAL: Solid Stainless Steel 316L 
BRACELET: New Style 2 piece end link President Stainless Steel Link Bracelet with Single Fold Deployant Clasp
FRONT GLASS: Sapphire Crystal, Same Thickness and Height above Bezel as per the Genuine, Invisible Etched Crown on Crystal at 6.00
BACK GLASS: Solid caseback
BEZEL: Fluted Bezel
HACK MOVEMENT: Yes 
CLASP TYPE: Hidden Rolesor Clasp
DATE INDICATOR: At 3:00 

OTHER REMARKS:

Waterproofed to 30m direct from Factory

First of welcome to the forum and please keep us updated on your journey. I probably know less than you about Day Dates, so I will leave the advice to others. There are a couple of guys I can think of who are known for modding these and both are Stateside, there are also a few guys in the US who would be able to help with repairs.

• Like 1

Just received the watch today.  That was fast!  Here are some pictures of the watch along with a side by side with a gen vintage daydate I have.

Any advice would be appreciated.  I'm thinking the bracelet and the crown is what I would like to switch first.  Any suggestions on tuning it up?  

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_9713.JPG

It's not going to be easy finding a bracelet, especially a WG one- really not worth it IMO. Changing out the crown would be easier, but this is a new model and I'm not even sure which crown it takes. And again, not really worth finding a WG crown. An ss crown might be the 24-603-0 possibly and what if you had to change out the tube with it? That could be another can of worms.

Enjoy your new watch and keep reading! If you were to try to mod a vintage rep, it would be easier to find parts for it.

• Like 2

On 3/16/2017 at 11:33 AM, alligoat said:

It's not going to be easy finding a bracelet, especially a WG one- really not worth it IMO. Changing out the crown would be easier, but this is a new model and I'm not even sure which crown it takes. And again, not really worth finding a WG crown. An ss crown might be the 24-603-0 possibly and what if you had to change out the tube with it? That could be another can of worms.

Enjoy your new watch and keep reading! If you were to try to mod a vintage rep, it would be easier to find parts for it.

Thanks for the tips.

"And again, not really worth finding a WG crown."

Agree.

I had a nos 'two dot' WG 6mm crown and sold it a while back after not needing it for 20 years.  The fellow who bought it told me good used examples were going for $100 to $150 at the time so imho a WG gold crown might be off limits because of the price of the crown compared to the price of the watch.  If I remember correctly, the WG crown cost about $60 new while YG crowns were $35 at the time, they always cost more than YG and even more now.

Something else...my WG crown was the older style with a gold cap crimped over a nickel silver body so the new 'monoblock' style with a solid gold body to match a newer model watch would probably be even more $$.  I looked through all my 'take off' crowns and did not find one used WG crown in case I missed one.  Matter of fact, I have never owned or worked on a WG rolex.  Probably never will.

Twenty five years ago when a used YG single QS Prez went for around $7k, a WG model would strain to bring $5k or $6k.  Passed on a 'four digit' plat DD for $4k back then.  Dumb.  Times have changed...100% hindsight. 

Btw, I always thought a monoblock was an Amal carburetor.  You can spot them because the crankcase (and the ground under it) is wet with gasoline.  We called them 'monofloods'.    :pimp:

If the cork gasket in the fuel cut-off valve on the tank leaked gas into the carbs (as usual), sometimes you had to remove the spark plugs, put the bike in gear, and push it backwards to blow the gasoline out of the cylinders before you cranked it because the needles and seats always leaked.  If the bike had been parked a long time you had to remove the drain plug from the crankcase and drain the gas/oil out.  They were dry sump so a half pint of Castrol would fill it back up  (owned a couple Norton Atlas and a Tri-hump or two).                      

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, sacsah1 said:

It's just an Asian 2836 most likely. Remove that stupid deco plate unless it add weight to your watch

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

It is - Updated Asia 2836-2 movement with engraved Bridges & Rotor!!!

Could you point out which screws might do the trick to remove the plate?

Typically there's something on the balance that allows you to adjust the timing- however, that tab on the bottom of the balance bridge doesn't look very adjustable from the picture. At that point I'd say you need to go to a watchmaker and see if he can do something- if it's an easy fix, it's a $10-20 deal. If not, you may have just learned the pitfalls of the A2836-2 converted to look like a 3135.

18 hours ago, alligoat said:

Typically there's something on the balance that allows you to adjust the timing- however, that tab on the bottom of the balance bridge doesn't look very adjustable from the picture. At that point I'd say you need to go to a watchmaker and see if he can do something- if it's an easy fix, it's a $10-20 deal. If not, you may have just learned the pitfalls of the A2836-2 converted to look like a 3135.

Thanks.  I've been trying to find someone in socal.