When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What Was The First Car You Owned?

TwoTone

1951 Chevy Pickup, purchased in 1972. It was old way back then. It was a US Forest Service retiree, forest green, with a low-low-low granny gear. I paid $300, and it burned 40 weight non detergent oil real bad. I had to park it on a hill to jump start it in the morning as the cold oil was too heavy for the starter. One really cold AM I ended up stalled at the bottom of my jump-start hill until the local police gave me a push with their cop car. I finally killed the transmission in early spring jump-starting it while being manually pushed after work by two co-workers. End of vehicle. Gas cost .29 9/10 per gallon, and you got a one penny discount with a fill up of a pick up.

post-241-1168647466_thumb.jpg

Fiat x19. It only ran when it wanted to. It looked but great but, talk about people unanimous in there advice, not one person said i should buy it.

Isn't that the one you need to pull the engine out to change the spark plugs?

My first car? I don't know. I'll tell you if I ever buy one. :D

1981 Olds Cutlass Supreme, V6. Emerald Green exterior, mint green cloth interior. Wire wheels. The A/c and heat didn't work, but I didn't give a crap. My biggest day was getting rid of the white walls and getting a set of BF Goodrich Sport ATs with the raised white lettering. I thought I was the coolest thing since Mendudo!

My very first car was a 1950 Desoto.

Ahhh....such warm and steamy memories :wub:

181993-7001.jpg

Those post-war babies (along with the Dodges and Chryslers) were built like tanks. Weighed tons. They could run right over a Ford or Chevy and you wouldn't even notice.

Fluid Drive (still) rules.

My first was a '75 Volvo 164E-4 speed manual with overdrive, black leather and electric windows. It was pretty quick for a heavy, safe car. Loved it. Good thing it was well built, I ended up rolling it-my friends started calling me the "Volvo crash dummy". Looked just like this one, except mine had metallic rust color paint.

182534-6816.jpg

pic borrowed from www.164club.org