When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Broken spring pin stuck in bracelet

LifeTrekker

I think Nanuq's idea of boing it up first is worth a try anyway, after all its the easiest and cheapest first attempt. If you Google Alum, I think it should be available from hardware stores. There are also a number of blogs which will tell you to protect steel, as it seems to be a well known solution for disolving stuck/broken drill bits in antique clock repairs. It disloves the bit, but doesn't attack the brass. However, I've never used or tried it, so can't confirm that.

On the other repliy from Automatico, we may be going a little off piste for a watch website and so I will only say that as a shooter of 57 years experience I think that tough gun controls, as we have in the UK, are part of the answer. No legit gun owner has any problem with that and there is absolutely NO need for any normal individual to carry a pistol, or own a military based assault rifle, except club based shooters or collectors. The problem is much more complex in America, as the culture is much more deeply rooted than anywhere I have ever encountered elswhere in the world. Nevertheless, another part of the problem is that the 2nd amendment just didn't eveolve in the same way as it did elsewhere to allow for changes in society. The last time I was in New York I don't remember being chased by a bear or Indians for instance. What it needs is the public and government to just take SOME action, rather than excusing it all the time and blaming it on mental illness!!

Anyway, it's not just the 2nd amendment that gets me going these days, you can include the morons that caused "sub prime" and crashed the banks and the UK economy in 2008 and the goons that forced Brexit. As for the social media and internet problems generally I couldn't agree more and avoid them as best as one can these days. he said writing a blog on an internet site!! I wrote a sci-fi book about that in 2014. It ultimately caused a level one extinction event and killed off the human race. Hey-ho, just be careful out there!!

That's why I answered Legend's question as to why my profile picture is what it is. Just seemed appropriate. Suggest the admin team would like us to now restrict these subjects to personal e-mails if anyone wants to continue the arguments.

We're pretty easygoing around here... the rules do say No Politics and Religion but we all pretty much ignore that. And we can, because we treat each other with respect and threads never devolve into insult matches.

You guys don't get chased by bears? My Mossberg 12ga goes everywhere in the woods with me nowadays, and I can honestly say I've never had to use it... but I was darn glad to have it.

We're pretty easygoing around here... the rules do say No Politics and Religion but we all pretty much ignore that. And we can, because we treat each other with respect and threads never devolve into insult matches.

That's good to hear, because honestly, most places around the internet are not like that. But If you guys are okay discussing the normally "forbidden" topics here, I'm game. But as you say, let's keep it respectful and civil.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yes we have bears and wolves in France, as well as 450 pound wild boar that will break your legs then disembowel you. So, I agree with Nanuq, if I were going out into that environment it makes sense to take a gun. The only difference is that all my weapons would be subject to fairly strict gun controls, but didn't stop me obtaining them.

I think ceejay's comment is correct. A 12 gauge is unlikely to stop a bear unless you happen to be standing right next to it with the muzzle resting on its head. I'm not trying that one!! I think something a little heavier is called for. In the case of the wife, a Barrett M107 50 cal is about the only thing that would stop mine, but then she is half Danish, so part Viking.

Anyway, it's a joy to see that humour is still alive and well. It's brightened up my week I can tell you.

Lifetrekker, I hope you get that pin out, otherwise all this has been futile!!

• Like 1

Qapla'!

(Success!)

The heat technique did the trick, but not with oil. I tried oil first and that didn't work. I tried water next, and that did. The rapidly expanding steam popped the end of the spring bar right out, almost like it was shot out of a gun. Now it's all back together and ready to go back on the watch. After a through soaking in baby oil that is.

Thanks for the help Brothers. I really appreciate it.9f872b8f62b17e82675ac7d6e13e81f4.jpg

• Like 1

Water or steam?

Thank you...

Basically, I soaked the bracelet in water under a vacuum for a few hours, and then under pressure for a few hours. I wanted to make sure the water made it in behind the spring pin. I then took it out of the water and froze it for about an hour. Next I heated the bracelet with a Blazer micro torch, and "Pop!" Out it came.

So, water or steam? Personally, I think it was the pressure caused by the water rapidly turning to steam and expanding as it was heated. So, yes.

• Like 1