When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I Was Supposed To Go To Cologne/koln

V

I decided to go for a weekend to Cologne/Bonn in the middle of February and I do not know which city i should decide to go...

Don't want nightlife, to go to clubs or party.. We like with my wife to walk through the cities historic centres and good restaurants...

Any help would be much appreciated....

Cologne is the city you will want to visit.

You will enjoy it.

Somehow I found it to have a southern comfort... very unusual for a northern city.

You wont want to miss the Museum Ludwig, the Römisch-Germanisches Museum and the Wallraf-Richartz-Museum.

Cheers,

Marco

Thanks Marco.. much appreciated :D

Yeah cologne is a nice city especially for shopping... think i have a restaurant guide left from my last stay in cologne...

If you are interested in special things drop me a PM...

Yeah cologne is a nice city especially for shopping... think i have a restaurant guide left from my last stay in cologne...

If you are interested in special things drop me a PM...

Thanks.. I guess i did the right choice with Cologne... It was a quite cheap combo (flights-hotel) and I thought it will be nice to spend the weekend with my wife.

I will buy some guides but i will let you know if i will need any inside tips ;)

Thanks.. I guess i did the right choice with Cologne... It was a quite cheap combo (flights-hotel) and I thought it will be nice to spend the weekend with my wife.

I will buy some guides but i will let you know if i will need any inside tips ;)

Anytime :lol: what kind of food do you prefer and in which price range?

Anytime :lol: what kind of food do you prefer and in which price range?

In our weekends we usually go Saturday night in a very good restaurant (50-60 euro per person) and on the other occasions we try to find good traditional restaurants ;)

My wife doesnt like very much meat but we are both open to our choices. For example in Prague there was a greeat traditional restaurant only with meat and we enjoyed it in full :D

In our weekends we usually go Saturday night in a very good restaurant (50-60 euro per person) and on the other occasions we try to find good traditional restaurants ;)

My wife doesnt like very much meat but we are both open to our choices. For example in Prague there was a greeat traditional restaurant only with meat and we enjoyed it in full :D

I'll check it out and give you a few hints... ;)

Here a few restaurants you might like - i would suggest that you book a table at most of the locations...

I would especially suggest the Vendome (menu is a bit pricy) and the Hanse Stube... but i'm sure you'll find a great place to enjoy some delicious food :victory:

Let me know where you have been and how you liked it :whistling:

Excellent.. thanks a lot my friend...

Here a few restaurants you might like - i would suggest that you book a table at most of the locations...

I would especially suggest the Vendome (menu is a bit pricy) and the Hanse Stube... but i'm sure you'll find a great place to enjoy some delicious food :victory:

Let me know where you have been and how you liked it :whistling:

Any help would be much appreciated....

Hi V...

Yup Marco, Thor and others already mentioned the "hard" facts...

Nevertheless dont forget Cologne is something like the GAY-CAPITAL of germany ;)

Quite similar and comparable to cities like San Francisco - US or Kopejsk - Russia...

So have fun... protect yourself and be aware of public toilets! :)

(Especially when George Michael walks around)

Regards (the other) George

Well to be honest it doesn't bothers me... I have been to Brighton.. the GAY CAPITAL of UK and its not that bad.. They mind their own buisness and that's good..

On the plus side being chosen by the gay community means that it may have some more artistic flare than other cities which is not bad. :)

Hi V...

Yup Marco, Thor and others already mentioned the "hard" facts...

Nevertheless dont forget Cologne is something like the GAY-CAPITAL of germany ;)

Quite similar and comparable to cities like San Francisco - US or Kopejsk - Russia...

So have fun... protect yourself and be aware of public toilets! :)

(Especially when George Michael walks around)

Regards (the other) George

Hi V,

you did the right thing not to come to Bonn :lol:

I do live in Bonn ( about 5 miles away from downtown ), but Cologne is definitely more exciting.

Cologne has a very nice shopping district with losts of different stores, cloths, electronics and not to forget some really nice watch stores like WEMPE.

A MUST is the cathedral. They offer tours in different languages where you get to know some pretty impressive information about the architecture and how they build this cathedral in only 600 years :o

If you wanna go and see a show or a musical, watch out for "Gaudi Zelt" or for the "Köln Arena".

You could also take a boat trip in the evening on the river Rhein including nice food and a beautiful scenery along the river.

"Früh Kölsch" is also something you might wanna see. It is a big beer brewery, always crowded, where you can enjoy Colognes finest beer along with some little dishes.

One of my favourite places for dinner is the "Mongo's". Look here. It is a mongolian grill. You make your choice between six different sauces and then you have a huge selection of fish, all kinds of meat, vegetables etc. You just put everything you like in a small bowl and have it cooked right in front of you. You can do that as much as you want to. Choose a different sauce, choose different meat....

It is just very relaxing and the selection is just incredible, even for vegetarians.

"Champs" is kind of a sports bar in the middle of downtown. Steaks, burgers and nice deserts along with a couple of tv screens for your entertainment.

And don't miss a visit to one of those little pubs in Cologne. The people in Cologne are extremly friendly and liberal ( no surpeise as it is suppose to be the gay capital of Germany). I bet it won't even take 5 minutes and you find yourself in the middle of a nice conversation.

The zoo in Colonge is also worth a visit.

Cologne has really a lot to offer that you could easily spend a few weeks there. So if there is anything I can do for you, just shoot me a PM.

Regards

Moppel

Wow.. now RWG is even better than a Tourist guide..

Thanks a lot for your time to tell me this Moppel... I will sure check them out :victory:

Hi V,

you did the right thing not to come to Bonn :lol:

I do live in Bonn ( about 5 miles away from downtown ), but Cologne is definitely more exciting.

Cologne has a very nice shopping district with losts of different stores, cloths, electronics and not to forget some really nice watch stores like WEMPE.

A MUST is the cathedral. They offer tours in different languages where you get to know some pretty impressive information about the architecture and how they build this cathedral in only 600 years :o

If you wanna go and see a show or a musical, watch out for "Gaudi Zelt" or for the "Köln Arena".

You could also take a boat trip in the evening on the river Rhein including nice food and a beautiful scenery along the river.

"Früh Kölsch" is also something you might wanna see. It is a big beer brewery, always crowded, where you can enjoy Colognes finest beer along with some little dishes.

One of my favourite places for dinner is the "Mongo's". Look here. It is a mongolian grill. You make your choice between six different sauces and then you have a huge selection of fish, all kinds of meat, vegetables etc. You just put everything you like in a small bowl and have it cooked right in front of you. You can do that as much as you want to. Choose a different sauce, choose different meat....

It is just very relaxing and the selection is just incredible, even for vegetarians.

"Champs" is kind of a sports bar in the middle of downtown. Steaks, burgers and nice deserts along with a couple of tv screens for your entertainment.

And don't miss a visit to one of those little pubs in Cologne. The people in Cologne are extremly friendly and liberal ( no surpeise as it is suppose to be the gay capital of Germany). I bet it won't even take 5 minutes and you find yourself in the middle of a nice conversation.

The zoo in Colonge is also worth a visit.

Cologne has really a lot to offer that you could easily spend a few weeks there. So if there is anything I can do for you, just shoot me a PM.

Regards

Moppel

• 4 weeks later...