When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Count For The Group Ar Run

flavor flav

For those who have talked to me about the next run, the deal is the following:

Any crystal with cyclops can ONLY be coated single sided. The reason is the following: The durable coating (used for double AR) is an extremely high temperature process which will melt the crystal cement and make a mess in the coating chamber. Therefore we must use a non-durable coating that cannot be touched with bare hands which is applied at room temperature. And it can only go on the inside of the crystal.

So, what this also means is that crystals with cyclopes MUST be collected for a run all to themselves and can't be combined with runs of double sided crystals. In the run currently underway we do have some getting single sides coated, but they don't have cyclopes so we're using the durable coating on those.

There should be no difference in anti-reflective properties between the durable and non-durable coatings.

Any crystal with cyclops can ONLY be coated single sided.

Therefore we must use a non-durable coating that cannot be touched with bare hands which is applied at room temperature. And it can only go on the inside of the crystal.

There should be no difference in anti-reflective properties between the durable and non-durable coatings.

That's good news. I was afraid that an ar coating for crystals with cyclopses wouldn't work. At this time I would be intersted in a second run with 2 cyclops-crystals and probably two normal crystals.

Another question: I am planning to get a Railmaster XXL ar coated. As far as I know the crystal is just a mineral crystal. Will that high temperature ar coating work on this?

That's good news. I was afraid that an ar coating for crystals with cyclopses wouldn't work. At this time I would be intersted in a second run with 2 cyclops-crystals and probably two normal crystals.

Another question: I am planning to get a Railmaster XXL ar coated. As far as I know the crystal is just a mineral crystal. Will that high temperature ar coating work on this?

Mineral crystals are not a problem. The only potential problem will be if we try to coat a sapphire crystal that has a mineral cyclops attached, or mineral cyrstal that has a sapphire cyclops attached. In these cases we might see Newton's rings, so it is going to be best to ensure that the cyclops and the crystal are of the same material.

More info on Newton's rings here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_rings