When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

One more reason to wear a replica...

automatico

Although these people were probably all wearing genuine watches.

Couple get #rob in #losangeles during #dinner - YouTube

CBS 3: Two Rolex Watches Valued at $37K Stolen Off Pedestrians b Three Armed Robbers in Philadelphia...

https://t.co/yA39cosnSE

Saw a guy at a watch show years ago wearing a rlx Prez without a clasp...all screw links.  I asked about it and he said:  "I live in NYC."  'nuff said.

With Rolex prices skyrocketing, it's always a good idea to keep a rep handy and leave your expensive watches at home. The other reason I like reps more and more is because if you tear them up, it's no big deal. Last weekend when I went hunting I wore a MBW 16610 in lieu of a gen 16800. I used to think of the 16800 as my beater, but alas no more- that watch is now worth $8-10K- crazy!

• Like 2

No kidding.  This one was my go-to watch for 20+ years and went everywhere with me.  Now it's worth more than my parents paid for their house.  Darnit.  Now it lives in a safe.  I miss it.

snowy.jpg

• Like 1

I agree, beauty should be enjoyed not hidden away. This one has 3 others that are each worth more sitting in there with it.

That’s why I built this, so I can still enjoy the vintage vibe, without worrying about wearing it.

efe95ca4848f63770748a1a8b2827a05.jpg

" Last weekend when I went hunting I wore a MBW 16610 in lieu of a gen 16800."

Were the MBW 16610 watches as good as their 55xx models?  I do not know anything about them.

I wonder if they might have been the same case/dial/bct as 16610 models from other modders/TDs from a few years back...WM9 for example.

The MBW 16610 came out around the time the WM9 first showed up. It was not gen like bezel const, but I was able to buy the parts to make it gen like. Crystal compression ring, flat washer, click spring and finally a bezel that fit. It is WR to 3 atm which is all the tester I have access to will do. Originally it had a noobmariner dial and hands but I got a WM9 dial and hands which have good lume. I also put a Clark’s crystal in there.

Thanks for the reply!

"It was not gen like bezel const, but I was able to buy the parts to make it gen like."

My sapphire 16610 types all have the crystal pressed into a plastic gasket with bezels held on by 'spring wires'.  Not oem spec but it works.  I can't tell they are made this way by a casual look-over but a '10X exam' would probably let the cat out of the bag.

I have a few GMT/submariner types from 2014 or so and they might be made differently, don't know.

"It is WR to 3 atm which is all the tester I have access to will do."

I use a Bergeon 5555/98 and it is also made for 3atm but supposed to be Ok to 6atm.  I put a Schrader valve in the cap in place of the pressure relief valve and pump it up over 90 psi using an air tank and it has held together so far.  Before that I had a Bergeon 5555 and the dome cracked using the same method.  The 5555/98 has a thicker dome wall.

Something else I use the 555/98 for now and then is to blow crystals out of rlx cases to keep from prying on bezels.  Remove the movement, allow for a slight leak at the crown (trial and error), and pump 'er up.

I sometimes use a Bergeon 5011 air pump to pop pressed in MG crystals out of watches with plastic gaskets.  It also takes the fun out of removing crystals in front loaders with acrylic crystals like the old dress type Benrus, Wyler, Omega Rustmasters etc.

Here are the specs on a 5555/98 and they also have a 5555/10 but they sure are proud of it ($$).

• Air pressure system. Tests up to 3 ATM (safe to 6 ATM).
  • Plexiglas cylinder with double seals.
  • Dimensions: 245X150X310mm.
  • Stable cast metal base.
  • Opening diameter: 64mm.
  • Capacity: two watches.
  • Made in Switzerland.

Waterproof Tester Bergeon 5555/98 (jewelerssupplies.com)

Waterproof Tester Bergeon 10 Bar 5555/10 (jewelerssupplies.com)

Waterproof Tester Upgrade Kit Bergeon (jewelerssupplies.com)

Bergeon 5011...

Bergeon - 5011 - Watch Crystal Air Pump | Jules Borel & Co.