When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Right Price For These Gen Parts?

BMWrolex

I want to start a project soon - getting an MBW and putting gen parts on it (prob sub or sea-dweller not sure yet). I'm looking around on ebay (the best place to find gen parts right?) and I see that people are selling gen dials for $300... Is that a right price? I would expect a dial to run in the $600-$700 range... What do you people think a gen bezel or crown would cost? I'm guessing a gen band 316L probably gonna be in the $1000 range... sounds about right?

just what I was looking for... two questions though:

im curious to how you can tell the difference between rep springbars and gen springbars.... is there much difference (physically and visually... i mean cmon a springbar is a springbar or no)?

Also, i noticted that you included the ETA movement. Did you buy your MBW and scrap out the stock movement with a new one?

Ubi.

Is not really pricey the only problem is where to get the parts, I have been a member of the replica group since 2005, I really have problems finding these parts

Genuine insert $100

Genuine 78360 bracelet (580 ends and 93150 clasp) $450

It would probably be wiser to invest in a modern MBW because it is easier to find gen parts for modern subs?

I can't see being able to find a dial for a red sub or the old bracelet for one on ebay anytime soon...

You guys think modern is the way to go? I just worry about getting the MBW and not being able to find any parts

It would probably be wiser to invest in a modern MBW because it is easier to find gen parts for modern subs?

I can't see being able to find a dial for a red sub or the old bracelet for one on ebay anytime soon...

You guys think modern is the way to go? I just worry about getting the MBW and not being able to find any parts

Genuine parts do no fit modern MBW 16610 without some mods. But I'm still looking for a genuine insert for my modern 16610 and no way... Ubi... :) any one lost in your "parts warehouse"? or just a little gen pearl... it's like a never ending history. This is the only thing I need to make my MBW looks like the gen (like...)

its been my experience that gen parts requiring some mods are required for vintage mbw too. though the extent of many of the mods are small..ish as with the moderns

one point to think about is that its been my experience that gen dials pass right through the opening in the case rather than sitting against the inside edge.

modern gen parts are definately mush easier to get hold of in the open market thats for sure too. theres many vintage parts now that are becoming a real pest. its arrived at the stage that people are buying whole watches just to get one part, in particular a tritium hand or lume dot for their own watch.

as for looking for a gen red sub dial on ebay. i wouldnt hold your breath. there wont be any gen dials of this ilk appearing on there anytime soon. a gen dial would also be well and truly into 4 figures too.

its been my experience that gen parts requiring some mods are required for vintage mbw too. though the extent of many of the mods are small..ish as with the moderns

one point to think about is that its been my experience that gen dials pass right through the opening in the case rather than sitting against the inside edge.

modern gen parts are definately mush easier to get hold of in the open market thats for sure too. theres many vintage parts now that are becoming a real pest. its arrived at the stage that people are buying whole watches just to get one part, in particular a tritium hand or lume dot for their own watch.

as for looking for a gen red sub dial on ebay. i wouldnt hold your breath. there wont be any gen dials of this ilk appearing on there anytime soon. a gen dial would also be well and truly into 4 figures too.

Agree wholeheartedly. Vintage collecting if you have to scavenge parts is becoming harder and harder, unless you have either plenty of time or money or preferably both on your hands. Of course, the challenge that presents is what makes it such fun.....ok well sometimes at least :black_eye:

Personally, I always keep my eye out for certain models which look like they've spent a week at Uncle Bob's Boot Camp up in frozen Alaska, with an view on whether either movement or case can be salvaged from the wreckage. Even those are fetching crazzzeeeeeee prices though <_<

Hmmmm... I have found that minimal work was needed to get the gen parts to fit my watch. The only items that needed to be slightly worked were the lug holes (which I didn't do, as it was already done for me when I bought the watch) and slightly expand the end links to fit against the case. Otherwise, everything else fit perfect- No modification needed for the crystal, tube, or insert. But... The CG's need further work on mine. Something I may or may not get around to one of these days. To me... They don't really bother me that much :)

As for the movement- I changed the movement out in favor of a slow beat ETA 2846 as the beat was better matched to that of a genuine 1570/5 (21,600bph v. 19,800bph).

With regards to the springbars- Yes, there are two ways to tell if they are genuine or aftermarket. The first is tension. Gen springbars are very firm in tension, and pressing the ends in requires more effort than aftermarket. This is the advantage, as with genuine bars, you never have to worry about them failing, even after numerous R & I's. The second is quality of material. The gen bars are much more durable in material. It is difficult to bend them without a fair amount of effort. Aftermarkets tend to be a bit more flimsy at the tube, and will cave/collapse with some moderate pressure.

As for finding parts... Yes, it can be very difficult on the secondary market. Even my usual suppliers (who are running low on their existing old stock) are finding that parts are in very short supply, though they still have a good amount of what I need (but not everything). Most, if not all ind. watchmakers have been officially cut off from the RSC's with whom they held accounts with. Parts are still out there... But as RSC's have started to turn collectors away for service, it could get messy out there on the secondary market as competition may be fierece; among us, and with genuine collectors (though most will have their own sources for parts off market).

I still maintain that the MBW vintage is the better platform to modify from; most notably the 1665 SD. Parts just seem to fit better, gen dials will go in without trimming, etc. The 1680 requires a little more work- So, for a prospective buyer, it all depends on the amount of work he/she is willing to put into the watch, and how much they prefer one over the other. The modern Subs are nice, but finding the right case can be an issue (we all know the problems there), and then of course, modifications have to be made in order to fit genuine parts. I've only built one 16610 that I feel is worth keeping...

190002-5084.jpg

And putting this one together was a bit of a fluke. It took some work fitting a genuine insert, and I farmed out the tube installation. There are two things I absolutely despise doing- Tube installs and lug drilling. I can do both... But prefer not to :) Personally, I think the 16610 is too much hassle (I'd rather build another Daytona) :p