When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Modding Gens?

flavor flav

am i hurting or helping resale if i ever decide to sell these?

Most likely, but it depends on how you were going to resell them.

Your best bet for resale value would be to replace the crystal with an OEM one and get that ARed. That way, if the eventual buyer complains, you can just pop the original crystal in and make it as-new.

Most likely, but it depends on how you were going to resell them.

Your best bet for resale value would be to replace the crystal with an OEM one and get that ARed. That way, if the eventual buyer complains, you can just pop the original crystal in and make it as-new.

or i can buy a replacement if they complain. i will probably never sell them anyway..

i just looked at a replacement crystal from ofrei (they are both the same crystal both watches) $149 anti-reflective crystal factory part......... maybe the newer ones come this way??? this is the obvious route i will be going. i'm exited now :thumbsupsmileyanim: i'll post pics of my "modded" gens!

i'm very sure now that i've seen them at AD's with AR :thumbsupsmileyanim:

the SMP's original crystal does not have the blue tinge. Ofrei's crystal will also not have the blue tinge. It is however, stated "anti-reflective" because it does filter out or at least absorb most of the reflection.

Well said MB. I am starting to wonder what the heck is with this obsession with 'visible' AR coating to the extent that people want to risk ruining their gens by adding it. Is it pushing the same buttons in some people as pimp-limo tinted windows on their cars, I wonder??!!

It is about time people stopped assuming that AR=purple/blue tint=good.

What next - adding bling stones to the bezels, perhaps?!?!

Well said MB. I am starting to wonder what the heck is with this obsession with 'visible' AR coating to the extent that people want to risk ruining their gens by adding it. Is it pushing the same buttons in some people as pimp-limo tinted windows on their cars, I wonder??!!

I equate it with guys who use those "Cool Blue" halogen headlights, trying to make people believe that they have HID's. All form, and no function.

It's also interesting that when members show off their AR in photos, they use picture taken at extreme angles, which show the MOST glare and reflection. To me, the perfect AR shot wouldn't show the crystal at all...there'd be nothing but dial...

It's also interesting that when members show off their AR in photos, they use picture taken at extreme angles, which show the MOST glare and reflection. To me, the perfect AR shot wouldn't show the crystal at all...there'd be nothing but dial...

Without the glare, there's no other way of showing it. Go take a photo of wind and just show us the actual wind, or take an underwater shot of water ...

Without the glare, there's no other way of showing it. Go take a photo of wind and just show us the actual wind, or take an underwater shot of water ...

That why I said that the perfect shot would show nothing but dial. The purpose of AR is to eliminate reflection, and allow the dial to be viewed more clearly.

When companies like Hoya want to sell photographic filters, they typically show pictures taken with and without the effect of the filter...The intention is to impress the buyer with what is not in the picture...The same would apply with AR.

I equate it with guys who use those "Cool Blue" halogen headlights, trying to make people believe that they have HID's. All form, and no function.

If the gens (Omega PO and Breitlings to name a few) have this coat, then surely applying an AR coat with the tint makes the replica more accurate! This is what modding is all about, and would therefore explain why more and more people are seeking to find this service!

I assumed that all heavy AR coatings produced some kind of tint due to the way it refracts the light?

Applying it to a gen that doesn't have an AR coat is a different kettle of fish, but its all down to personal taste! I hate the glare produced by my watches that don't have AR!

This isn't meant to come across as an angry reply, very hard to phrase things with expression over the internet as we all know! :victory:

James

If the gens (Omega PO and Breitlings to name a few) have this coat, then surely applying an AR coat with the tint makes the replica more accurate! This is what modding is all about, and would therefore explain why more and more people are seeking to find this service!

I assumed that all heavy AR coatings produced some kind of tint due to the way it refracts the light?

Applying it to a gen that doesn't have an AR coat is a different kettle of fish, but its all down to personal taste! I hate the glare produced by my watches that don't have AR!

This isn't meant to come across as an angry reply, very hard to phrase things with expression over the internet as we all know! :victory:

James

well not if the genuine models do not have the blue tinge. Then you are making the original less accurate.

Like r1cco and avitt have already stated, the purpose of AR is in fact to make the dial clear at all angles. The blue tinge i guess is to block out further light rays as it gets filtered out by the dark tinge but I still think normal AR is good. I mean, when you look at people's glasses, they are also ARed, but most of them don't have the blue tinge.

well not if the genuine models do not have the blue tinge. Then you are making the original less accurate.

I was referrring to the reps being made to look lik the gens with the AR. You are completely correct though, adding AR will make it less accurate. This is where personal preference and long term plans for the watch come into it. I think I would leave it as it is.

the reason i want the AR is i hate the white glare from the crystals. i'm used to wearing my gen PO where most of the time the crystal looks invisible! i don't need a tint or want a tint! genuine AR will reflect bright objects very softly in a purple or blue tint but not glare. the dial then stands out more without the ugly glare... i would not expect anyone who has never owned a genuine watch with double AR to understand the point.....it's not a tint....it makes the crystal almost invisible and the hands and dial become more clear and nice to look at.. :victory:

i would not expect anyone who has never owned a genuine watch with double AR to understand the point.....

That's a bit patronising! This has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not someone has owned a gen. I have a rep Breitling Seawolf with a double AR coated crystal, which a fellow board member has described as indistinguishable from that fitted to the genuine as he has owned both!! Plus, the gens you are talking about don't have it, so the 'genuine spec' argument is irrelevant.

Double AR coating is both a matter of taste and a rather silly development (covering an almost scratch-proof crystal with a relatively more vulnerable coating). Owners of genuine POs are actually removing the outside AR - usually after it has taken a knock and scratched.

I know exactly why you want to do it, but IMO its a situation where the practical pitfalls outweigh the visual benefits. It is overkill for the sake of vanity and makes the watch more vulnerable to appear 'damaged'.

The analogy with aftermarket tinted auto windows is a good one - sure they look 'cool' in some peoples' eyes, but it's just a plastic film that is vulnerable to scratching.

The analogy with aftermarket tinted auto windows is a good one - sure they look 'cool' in some peoples' eyes, but it's just a plastic film that is vulnerable to scratching.

Here another analogy: Double AR is like tinting your car windows...on the inside and outside!