When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How About A Super Dome For $60?

TJGladeRaider

If you check for a T-39 Super Dome on EBay, you will find a guy selling Clark OEM replacements for $60.

That seems like a hell of a lot to pay for an aftermarket so I talked to the guy and he assured me that his Rolex replacements were far better quality than the typical vintage watch crystals that sell for about $8 each and he pointed out that he sells those same crystals for about that same money.

After talking it over with Randy, we decided that I should be the guinea pig, so I bought one. As soon as I opened the package, I saw that it was nothing like the cheap crystals. It looks a like more like my Gen 127s in the way it refracts light.

(BTW Pug, whatever else you do, be sure and get a gen 127 for that white sub - you cannot believe the difference)

The crystal snapped down TIGHT on the watch case, and then the retaining ring was a perfect fit. Tight, but not ridiculous.

post-223-1170989307_thumb.jpg

post-223-1170989316_thumb.jpg

post-223-1170989325_thumb.jpg

I am going to order some more for the rest of my watches.

Oh, BTW, if anyone was interested in that MBW Red Sea Dweller I posted a week or so ago . . . fuhgedaboudit!!!!

Bill

So, the consensus is that I should get one?

http://stores.ebay.com/Clark-Watch-Parts only seems to have the superdome and not the flat T-39 for the great white. Maybe I should go for a Superdome and pretend my single-red dial was swapped out for a white dial during a service, like another user suggested. :D

Ideas?

That looks terrific, Bill & a damn good find! :thumbsupsmileyanim: I've seen these before but wasn't sure about their quality. Thanks for clearing it up for us.

I was also blown away when my 1665 arrived with the new crystal installed.

Pug, it's the best single improvement one can make on these watches. B) A vintage acrylic pearl on your inserts would be a darn nice improvement as well.

Sorry guys, but a noobie question. I recently got a MBW DSRD. Are you saying that this new superdome is better than the one on the MBW? If so, then I got to get one. Thanks.

This is what Bill is saying. He would know as he's got half the world's MBW watches. :victory:

I picked up a flat T39 from Helfands in Florida, for like $20 and it even had the tiny beveled edge around the top perimeter. Gorgeous piece and CHEAP. Here it is compared to a gen SD39 and an aftermarket SD39 I was testing.

I've contacted Helfands to see if he can ship to Europe. I see he also stocks an after-market 127 ...

If I'm getting the flat 39 for $10, plus pricey postage, I may as well get a 127 chucked in for an extra $10. :Jumpy:

I am curious whether either the clark or helfends super domes for the DRSD come with AR coating, or, if not, would it make sense to do a nice AR on both sides before installing it? I am assuming that my optician can do the AR coating--same as what he uses on my glasses--or is the AR coating on the crystals different for some reason. THX.

A couple of quick answers... Helfands doesn't sell the "Superdome" copy, they sell the flat-top T39. While I prefer the look of the SD, the Helfands crystal looks darn nice too.

As far as I know there has never been a domed acrylic crystal on a vintage Rolex that was AR coated. But... I gotta admit, while unusual, it might look pretty cool too.

Cheers!

oh, i agree that the vintage crystal were probably never done with AR--that probably also applies to PAM 127, etc. that were modeled after vintages. I am not a purist in trying to make the rep look like a genuine vintage, that is kind of futile in certain regards. However, I think a two-sided AR job on a superdome would not only improve the visibility/reduce reflection associated with the thick crystal, but also improve aesthetics. Anyone else want to weigh in?

oh, i agree that the vintage crystal were probably never done with AR--that probably also applies to PAM 127, etc. that were modeled after vintages. I am not a purist in trying to make the rep look like a genuine vintage, that is kind of futile in certain regards. However, I think a two-sided AR job on a superdome would not only improve the visibility/reduce reflection associated with the thick crystal, but also improve aesthetics. Anyone else want to weigh in?

Can you AR coat Acrylic?

Can you AR coat Acrylic?

you bet. with an organic material (like acrylic) you can put down an anti-scratch treatment that improves scratch resistance by as much as 10x. Next comes the AR coating, and if you want you can follow that with a moisture repellant. you end up with a high durability and high visibility under most conditions, and if you've relumed it, great night visibility to boot. this kind of functionality is exactly what polex had in mind when the watch was designed, they just didn't have some of these coatings, etc. available at that time.

Edited by Watchwatcher