When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hello Rwg From An Oem/gen Obsessed Pam Nut…

Mojua

…hoping to expand my WIS knowledge and pick up some otherwise unattainable ‘grail’ REPS along the way…

I’ve only been here for about 24 hours, but my brain is already swimming with great info; from Pugwash, and V, and Rolli (insane EYE CANDY), and Flavor Flav, and Tourbillon1801, and The Zigmeister and others...so I thought I’d drop a line to say hi and thanks!

My membership upgrade is ‘pending’, but once I’m up and running I hope to become a contributing participant…as well as a gratuitous leacher of fantastic information!

Cheers from Boston!

Seriously Andy...I feel like a kid in a candy shop...call me naïve, but I didn’t even know ‘good’ reps existed until yesterday…I’ve seen the junky cheapos on ebay and I’ve seen the reps that were being scammed as OEM on the same site, but I had no idea there was a whole community of good folks dedicated to the craft of promoting/discussing this stuff…although I will admit it’s weird to see 203s for sale for 200 bucks!

Oh yea...don't you have a 111 on that same strap? call me a stalker, but as soon as i realized that you have a similar affinity for the 127, i started reading through your old posts. I'm no expert that's for sure, but I'm pretty OCD about PAMs, and I'm still coming to terms with the fact that no matter what, nothing's gonna be perfect...what can i expect though, at 3% of the cost of an OEM...heck, until yesterday I thought I was gonna have to settle for a recessed cannon pin. I’m still looking for sure, but for now, I guess the best I can hope for is a Davidsen Ultimate Fiddy with "broad dagger" regulator on the swan’s neck…which I’m not even sure exists….???

Oh yea...don't you have a 111 on that same strap? call me a stalker, but as soon as i realized that you have a similar affinity for the 127, i started reading through your old posts.

:D

My 111h is on several different straps. In fact, here's my Panerai strap collection.

199658-1954.jpg

You'll see by the height that there are only 2 26mm straps (fiddy-sized) while the 24mm straps are in abundance.

Maybe you're thinking of this one?

199658-1955.jpg

ahh, i see...mucho 24mm straps you have...i guess i was wondering how you were swingin the same leather on a 44mm and a 47mm...the one i was referring to is from a post you made on Jan 29 2007, 02:21 PM in the "help me choose" thread...they look pretty similar...both very nice! glad to know you didn't cut down a good fiddy strap to fit a 111...would have been sort of like an inverse Rad strap...i guess...but funky...cheers!

…although I will admit it’s weird to see 203s for sale for 200 bucks!

203? Did I hear someone telling '203'?

199707-1939.jpg

199707-1940.jpg

127 USD.

Yes, a bit weird. Especially considering that in the Sotheby's Hong Kong auction, Oct 2006, a 203 has been sold @ 77000 USD.

Rep stuff... :D

Welcome aboard, best wishes for you to enjoy this place as much as we do!

ahh, i see...mucho 24mm straps you have...i guess i was wondering how you were swingin the same leather on a 44mm and a 47mm...the one i was referring to is from a post you made on Jan 29 2007, 02:21 PM in the "help me choose" thread...they look pretty similar...both very nice! glad to know you didn't cut down a good fiddy strap to fit a 111...would have been sort of like an inverse Rad strap...i guess...but funky...cheers!

the pams started getting good almost 2 yrs ago. if you go with chrono models (no recessed pin) or specialty crown models 1950 1950 flyback regatta then the crown looks great its easy to get great out of the box reps. -

I have spent alot (not comparativly to gen of course) to have my 177h upgraded crown and AR coated. i have a few customs straps from one of our members V who travels finds leathers and sends them off to be custom made.

in the last year some "super" reps that are really good have started with other models- mostly IWC, Breitling and omega - with a few others here and there. - Its really quite crazy how good they have gotten. Lately with a new line of genuine Swiss 7750 reps where the Gen uses a 7750 - so, they have the same movement, they are made fromt eh same material, they look exactly alike - aside from the fact they were made on one side of china instead of the other - demands a high premium :)

we all just hope that we continue to stay under the radar so to speak and that our "high priced" reps (i.e. not 60 canal street crap) stays a relativly small market. for many of us, there would be no other way to own so many nice mechanical watches. ;) and almost all of the watches you will find here are due great respect and admiration in their own right - irrespective of the brand name

Seriously Andy...I feel like a kid in a candy shop...call me naïve, but I didn’t even know ‘good’ reps existed until yesterday…I’ve seen the junky cheapos on ebay and I’ve seen the reps that were being scammed as OEM on the same site, but I had no idea there was a whole community of good folks dedicated to the craft of promoting/discussing this stuff…although I will admit it’s weird to see 203s for sale for 200 bucks!

I think you will like it here, say goodbye to your wife/life LOL

And here is the PAM they never put into production but should of and is still my favorite of both gens and reps:

199813-1889.jpg

Enjoy the ride. You may find yourself buying fewer and fewer gens. ;)

holy cow...what the heck is that....looks like a mutant 162....NICE!

203? Did I hear someone telling '203'?

199817-1887.jpg

199817-1888.jpg

127 USD.

Yes, a bit weird. Especially considering that in the Sotheby's Hong Kong auction, Oct 2006, a 203 has been sold @ 77000 USD.

Rep stuff... :D

Welcome aboard, best wishes for you to enjoy this place as much as we do!

that's right my friend...you must either know Mr. Bonati himself, or be blessed from above.... the sweet, sweet Angelus movement....only 150 of those 203s in the world, and not all have even been allocated...$77k is probably actually cheap compared to what the 'right' buyer would be willing to pay....I'd say $127 is a pretty darn good price...all things considered.... :thumbsupsmileyanim: cheers!!!!

the pams started getting good almost 2 yrs ago. if you go with chrono models (no recessed pin) or specialty crown models 1950 1950 flyback regatta then the crown looks great its easy to get great out of the box reps. -

I have spent alot (not comparativly to gen of course) to have my 177h upgraded crown and AR coated. i have a few customs straps from one of our members V who travels finds leathers and sends them off to be custom made.

in the last year some "super" reps that are really good have started with other models- mostly IWC, Breitling and omega - with a few others here and there. - Its really quite crazy how good they have gotten. Lately with a new line of genuine Swiss 7750 reps where the Gen uses a 7750 - so, they have the same movement, they are made fromt eh same material, they look exactly alike - aside from the fact they were made on one side of china instead of the other - demands a high premium :)

we all just hope that we continue to stay under the radar so to speak and that our "high priced" reps (i.e. not 60 canal street crap) stays a relativly small market. for many of us, there would be no other way to own so many nice mechanical watches. ;) and almost all of the watches you will find here are due great respect and admiration in their own right - irrespective of the brand name

lI hear that phoband!!! like I said...I didn't even know these things existed until yesterday and I already feel like I'm in on some big secret...

that's right my friend...you must either know Mr. Bonati himself, or be blessed from above.... the sweet, sweet Angelus movement....only 150 of those 203s in the world, and not all have even been allocated...

Not all have been allocated?!? :blink:

Angelus 240: two of them have been recently sold en eBay, one @about 1000 Euros, the other @ somewhat more than 500 Euros. Quite cheap, considering that they usually sell @ 2000+ USD.

I missed both them. :D

Mojua-

It is a mutant 162. When they were initially considering the design for the upcoming 188 and 196 they made prototypes with two contrast sub-dials. IMHO, much more interesting than the final production models. Here are the reference shots of the prototypes:

199889-1860.jpg

199889-1861.jpg

And here is my other one without the subdial hands attached:

199889-1862.jpg

:D

My 111h is on several different straps. In fact, here's my Panerai strap collection.

You'll see by the height that there are only 2 26mm straps (fiddy-sized) while the 24mm straps are in abundance.

Maybe you're thinking of this one?

Pugwash> i suppose this is for a separate topic...but what is the average quality of rep leather straps like? i actually prefer then to SS....do most people just buy gen replacement straps in the end? cheers

oh and welcome to the forums Mojua, i am new here as well but you will find that the members are a great bunch, very helpful and they take pride in their hobby and protecting the trust relationship with the associated dealers

Pugwash> i suppose this is for a separate topic...but what is the average quality of rep leather straps like? i actually prefer then to SS....do most people just buy gen replacement straps in the end? cheers

Every strap I've ever received with a replica has been rubbish.

When you consider a good strap starts at round $30 and keep going up to $200, you can see why reps don't come with good straps. Almost everyone I know gets a strap at the same time as their watch. I've never worn a rep with the original strap for longer than a few hours (the out of the packet photography and testing, basically) before replacing it.

A lot of the straps I have retail for more than the watches they're put on, like a $130 strap on a $110 watch.

Every strap I've ever received with a replica has been rubbish.

When you consider a good strap starts at round $30 and keep going up to $200, you can see why reps don't come with good straps. Almost everyone I know gets a strap at the same time as their watch. I've never worn a rep with the original strap for longer than a few hours (the out of the packet photography and testing, basically) before replacing it.

A lot of the straps I have retail for more than the watches they're put on, like a $130 strap on a $110 watch.

thanks for the info

last question as i know this isn't the right topic to post it on

does your advice apply to the SS straps? i assume not or that they just that they dont last as long as gen? cheers

Edited by tester

does your advice apply to the SS straps? i assume not or that they just that they dont last as long as gen? cheers

No idea. I've never seen the appeal of steel bracelets on Panerais.

As far as I remember, there's something about steel and titanium being used on the gen and just steel on the reps, but I could be mistaken.