When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken 1665

hemicuda

These watches amaze me. What would happen if a Rolex AD got one of these in for service? Would they still take out the 8lbs sledge hammer and destroy it?

Case serial won't match the movement serial, especially if the case says "Polex" :whistling:

Possibly remove the movement from the case and let an independent watchsmith service it (if they'll take it)

But service will be expensive unless you can service it yourself or The Zigmeister is your next-door neighbour :D

In Holland no problemo with that, a lot of watchmakers, in Germany you can buy all the Rolex spareparts online, cheap...

Also a lot of watch-markets with a lot of spare parts, again from German sellers.

Jack

that's what I said :D "But service will be expensive unless you can service it yourself"

Personally I don't feel comfortable servicing a 30 year old gen Rolex movement worth a thousand bucks,

otherwise I'd be ebay bidding like crazy :rolleyes:

Nice watch Hemicuda! You've done a great job of assembling a nice set of parts into a classic watch. Hope you're able to enjoy it for at least a while.

BTW, Falco, I wouldn't think servicing a 1570 even over in Europe would be that expensive. It's a common movement, they're all over the place, were in production for over twenty years, parts are still available and any good independent watchmaker with a microstella balancing tool should be able to handle it. My watchmaker here in the USA charges me under $150 for cleaning and servicing, no parts.

Nice watch Hemicuda! You've done a great job of assembling a nice set of parts into a classic watch. Hope you're able to enjoy it for at least a while.

BTW, Falco, I wouldn't think servicing a 1570 even over in Europe would be that expensive. It's a common movement, they're all over the place, were in production for over twenty years, parts are still available and any good independent watchmaker with a microstella balancing tool should be able to handle it. My watchmaker here in the USA charges me under $150 for cleaning and servicing, no parts.

Oh no alligoat, you shouldn't have said that... :D

Now my dark side has convinced me to buy 1570's :akuma:

How will this end??? No holliday money for me this year :rolleyes:

Well Falco, obviously you wouldn't be the first or the last person to build a franken... They are nice, but I have a hard time putting a $900-1000 movement in a watch that from a collectors point of view isn't correct. But remember, you can't touch a legitimate 1665 for under $6000 and it might be even more than that these days. And an MBW case is nice, but the engravings suck big time!

Polex and an L serial # and the fact that they used laser etching to do the engraving all detract from the final product in my mind.

Now, if you could find an original case, then putting a 1570 in it would be a whole different matter in my mind and worth the expense. Otherwise, I'd stick w/ what you did on your 1680, put the gen parts on it and put a 2846 in it. And with the $1000 you save, you could do a 1665 up right also (w/ an ETA, of course)!

• 1 month later...