When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

You saved me!

pman

Hello everyone. I'm very fortunate to find this place. I was about pull the trigger on a watch but you guys saved me. I would have had a terrible experience and written the whole thing off.

I have an original Baume & Mercier Capeland Chrono automatic that I just love. I'm now looking to expand my collection without breaking the bank. I've got two questions.

1. I'm looking for a watch that won't break in the short term. I know there are no guarantees. Are there certain brands that seem to be more accurate and longer lasting than others? For example, Panerai? Or, is it that everyone on the baord just loves the style?

2. I've noticed that there are a lot of watches on the replica sites that the trusted dealers on the board don't carry. Is there a reason for this? Are the replica sites selling an inferior product?

Thanks again for all your help. Any advice for someone just starting out is greatly appreciated.

Pat

Welcome Pman...

regarding question one.

If you purchase a rep with an ETA movement and have it serviced about once every 5 years, there is no reason it shouldn't last you a lifetime. After all, ETA is a real swiss movement....

We have folks on board who can assist you in this (ZiggyZumba and RBJ)

Take a look at the Watch Repair section and read up.

Number two.....

hmmmm... I guess you'll have to ask some dealers here as to why they don't carry specific brands.

1. I'm looking for a watch that won't break in the short term. I know there are no guarantees. Are there certain brands that seem to be more accurate and longer lasting than others? For example, Panerai? Or, is it that everyone on the baord just loves the style?

ETA Submariner. :)

ETA is one of the better movements available, but there are others as well. And even the Asian (generic) automatics used in many of the lower priced reps offered through the board can work reliably for many years. Read the forums and learn about the movements. Then, read the forums and learn about the dealers. In the end, I wouldn't trust a lot of sites to deliver the movements that they came are in their reps (genuine hand-assembled Swiss ETA....yea, sure, right). But if Joshua, Andrew, Neil, Eddie or River says this is the movement, then they are staking their hard-earned reputations on that statement.

As for the number of styles that are available through the board, realize that certain brands and models are more popular than others. Consequently, the rep factories are only going to take pains to reasonably rep the brands and models that will sell the best. Less popular models may contain parts (hands, cases, etc.) that were actually produced for another model.

That is not to say that only the more popular models are accurately repped, or that these are the only models you ought to consider. If you like a watch and are convinced that it is reasonably well made, then go for it. The world would be pretty dull if people only wore Blue Seamaster Pros or Black Submariners. Feel free to express yourself and explore your tastes.

quality of reps i've been getting has been going downhill, so my collection is starting to change into all ETA (replacing bad chinese reps with ETA movement ones, I've found often gives you more correct markings on the watches as well for whatever reason I have little clue, cuz when I got into all this I was able to order choice of asian or swiss movement without harming the appearance of the watch) I guess it all comes with luck though because as I recall, bricktop's ETA 007 SMP which I saw he sold to another member is one of the worst looking reps I have ever seen, unless it was just a bad photo..

Since you found this site...stick with our dealers...forget all the other rep selling sites...

their prices are way to expensive...quality isn't even close to our dealers watches...and the best thing is that you will recive what you pay for!

and be prepared to spend a lot...because rep hobby is a very expensive one!

about the quality of the reps...read around the forum..you will find every possible answer...

and now...WELCOME...enjoy your stay...

and...HAPPY HUNTING!

Thanks everyone. I'm looking forward to the experience. Is it proper etiquette to contact people via private mail when inquiring about a wathes for purchase?

Everyone Except Neil (TTK)

TTK requires e-mail with the number listed on his photograph.