When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Letter From Customs, Need Advice

itseme

Hi @ all

so, a month ago my Davidsen fiddy was sized by the customs. Today i received a letter from the customs, telling me, that they found the fake watch.

They wrote, that i have to say yes that they will destroy the watch. also i have to pay 60 Swissfrancs for the admin cost. If i wont allow them to destroy the watch, they will give the infos (my address and the watch) to Panerai and they can make a "Strafanzeige" (complaint?) aganst me.

Also they have sent me a report from the "federation of swiss watch industry" wich is 17 Pages.

It includes very detailed pics from the davidsen fiddy and a comparison to the real one. I have attached a few pics from the raport.

So what should i do? Shoud i pay and firm that they can destroy the watch or should i write them that i never have ordered such a watch?

What could panerai do, if the customs will give them the infos?

Thank you & greets from Switzerland

itseme

PICTURES REMOVED

Edited by itseme

Sounds like customs has a lot of free time to file reports in that lenght. I'd call their bluff...pay nothing and deny everything. I'm sure Panerai would even bother following up any complaint...sound to me like they make 60 swissfrancs as a bonus and it's a way customs makes some extra money.

That's the rebel in me talking :D

First of all, by posting the pictures and description here, you have implicated yourself. If a Swiss customs officer is reading this board, he just put two and two together, and you have admitted that you ordered this watch.

Big mistake, as you have no way out of this now.

I suggest you erase your post, and make your decision in private.

This is an open forum, customs problems should never be discussed here. Really bad idea, and even more bad was that you just posted all the information any customs officer needs to find you guilty.

RG

Thank you for your advice. I think i will write them a letter, that i never ordered such a watch and i think its a mistake and i wont pay the administrativ taxes.

I think they cant to much. I mean i ordered a watch and not drugs,weapons or plutonium :-)

First i will ask my university professor who is a lawyer...

I removed the pics...

Greets itseme

But would that not make them ask for a receipt of a proper amount? And ask for customs fee according to that amount.

I mean, if I want ot pay $$$$$ for a rep - it's not their fault. It's their job however to collect money.

Play dumb. I trusted the guy and sent cash. Expected a genuine watch and customs bill when it arrived. There is nothing illegal in that. I'm not sure about what the Swiss law is, but it seems to me that you wouldn't want to admit that you had any intention to import counterfeit goods.

Play dumb. I trusted the guy and sent cash. Expected a genuine watch and customs bill when it arrived. There is nothing illegal in that. I'm not sure about what the Swiss law is, but it seems to me that you wouldn't want to admit that you had any intention to import counterfeit goods.

..... and what about if they ask him to reveal the seller data ???

Hi @ all

So what should i do? Shoud i pay and firm that they can destroy the watch or should i write them that i never have ordered such a watch?

itseme

PICTURES REMOVED

I don't know your system as well as I know ours, but I think the situation you are in relates to the distinction between seizure and forfeiture. I'll tell you how things work here.

Customs has the authority to seize any number of things, but once they have seized it, they cannot just keep or destroy it - that would be a bit too much like stealing. They must dispose of it one way or the other via some sort of forfeiture action - in other words, they must resolve the issue of possession.

If Customs seizes a watch here, they must account for it. It is your property, contraband or not, so they must tell you that they took it, why they took it, and what your recourse is, and give you an opportunity to challenge their position.

If it were me, I would not make any false statements of any kind - and I would not make any admissions either. I would just send them the check and forget about it. By the way, paying the charge is not an admission of anything.

I really do suggest that you refrain from following any of the clever, well intentioned, advice. Trying to get cute is a great way to make a little problem into a big problem. Here, making a false statement under these circumstances woould be a felony cognizable under Title 18 USC Section 1001.

Bill

I don't know your system as well as I know ours, but I think the situation you are in relates to the distinction between seizure and forfeiture. I'll tell you how things work here.

Customs has the authority to seize any number of things, but once they have seized it, they cannot just keep or destroy it - that would be a bit too much like stealing. They must dispose of it one way or the other via some sort of forfeiture action - in other words, they must resolve the issue of possession.

If Customs seizes a watch here, they must account for it. It is your property, contraband or not, so they must tell you that they took it, why they took it, and what your recourse is, and give you an opportunity to challenge their position.

If it were me, I would not make any false statements of any kind - and I would not make any admissions either. I would just send them the check and forget about it. By the way, paying the charge is not an admission of anything.

I really do suggest that you refrain from following any of the clever, well intentioned, advice. Trying to get cute is a great way to make a little problem into a big problem. Here, making a false statement under these circumstances woould be a felony cognizable under Title 18 USC Section 1001.

Bill

.... sounds wise to me.

Good advice. Don't forget ... they're right. You were caught doing something very naughty and the clean way out is to pay up and go quietly into the night. If you try to get out of it, you're then compounding things.

Give 'em the money. You don't want to mess with a government agency which probably sees itself as a protector of one of your county's main industries (which is also why a 17 page report, probably for every rep, is done.) I bet they will send your name and address to Richemont's lawyers.

It's is refreshing, though, to see a civilized country at work. The report is intended to prove the fakeness of the fiddy, a service and a warning to you. And they have to have the OP's permission to destroy it. In the US, some customs official would probably just take the watch home and you'd get a letter telling you you're supporting terrorists.

It's is refreshing, though, to see a civilized country at work. The report is intended to prove the fakeness of the fiddy, a service and a warning to you. And they have to have the OP's permission to destroy it. In the US, some customs official would probably just take the watch home and you'd get a letter telling you you're supporting terrorists.

ah ah... archibald I like your way of thinking !

Are you sure you're from Washington?

Hi @ all

so, a month ago my Davidsen fiddy was sized by the customs. Today i received a letter from the customs, telling me, that they found the fake watch.

They wrote, that i have to say yes that they will destroy the watch. also i have to pay 60 Swissfrancs for the admin cost. If i wont allow them to destroy the watch, they will give the infos (my address and the watch) to Panerai and they can make a "Strafanzeige" (complaint?) aganst me.

Also they have sent me a report from the "federation of swiss watch industry" wich is 17 Pages.

It includes very detailed pics from the davidsen fiddy and a comparison to the real one. I have attached a few pics from the raport.

itseme

PICTURES REMOVED

This is a real downer to read. I have been reading how tough Customs in Europe can be. I offer my sympathy.