When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The New Credit Card Processing....

dak244

This is exactly how I feel. I liked how Paypal was an independent third party.

The only problem is, there are no guarantees with PayPal - check out this thread:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/Urgentpayment-Ca...led-t21585.html

You (and the dealer) could end up with no money, and you end up with no watch. There have been increasing numbers of problems with PP over the last 12 months. I think the dealers are getting to the stage they can't bear the losses any longer.

You've not watched many movies then. :D

ps. Did you see that youtube clip about American's and geography?

The claim was not victory it was "peace with honor" and no one in their right mind ever thought it was anything but a euphemism.

ps. yeah, i did. very embarrassing and certainly substantiating the view of the US centric American (being polite here).. on the other hand, whenever I see or read a piece like that, I cannot help but wonder if the respondents were cherry picked... i.e. how many people did they need to interview in order to get to the people they featured.. how many people answered intelligently and were not included etc... it is very easy to edit a piece like that to get to a desired outcome... That is the problem with generalizing... for instance I would NEVER use a clip like this to suggest that the British Military is incompetant because it is a generalization:

Than again, we did elect Dubya i mean that truly is embarrassing.... sh!t, here is a man who bragged about never setting foot ourside US soil before hew was elected... There is just no suitable justification for electing Dubya. Anyway sorry about the thread crapping

So I looked a little, but didn't see much information on the new credit card processing Josh and trusty will be doing. Is anyone else besides me a little worried about using your credit card to purchase reps? Is this completely safe?

First, I feel a little uncomfortable, with all the customs issues lately, leaving a paper trail (a long and easily spotted one at that) behind me on every purchase. I know that paypal was very similar, but I just feel like it is easier (maybe not??) Secondly, as much as I trust our dealers (and I do ALOT) I still just haven't stomached putting my credit card out there. As it is they use the "cookie-cutter" software, and I have no idea how easily hacked their sites are.

So to sum it up, I am not trying to say its not safe or that I know anything more about the topic than anyone else, I was just throwing it out there for discussion to see if anyone else was having the same hesitations/thoughts as I was......

Well first remember that it is not illegal to buy or own a reproduction, at least in the US. It is only illegal to convey (i.e. sell) the replicas. Not sure what it would be if you tried to convey it as a gift....hummm. Your biggest risk is that Customs will impound the merchandise and you loose your purchase price. But that is not even a consideration here, because the dealers we use back up their sales so that if a watch is impounded they mail you another. Big deal.

A suggestion if you are worried about Credit Card fraud is that a couple of my cards have something called "Shop Safe". A neat little feature and worth grabbing an extra card to get it if necessary. It used to be an MBNA faeture but I think Bank of America is running Shop Safe now that they bought out MBNA. In any case, you tell it to create a new card number for yourself and you load it with the amount of money you need and voila--a one time use credit card number with a credit limit you set. I used it a lot.

But to be honest, I really wouldn't worry about any of the dealers here offering to take CCs directly. If you read back they've had an uncounted number of opportunites to swindle people out of their money. They have been nothing but above board and honorable.

/Tim

Edited by Tim

Well first remember that it is not illegal to buy or own a reproduction, at least in the US. It is only illegal to convey (i.e. sell) the replicas.

Importing them into the US is also illegal. It's called smuggling. So, ordering from China would count as smuggling, with regard to trying to get counterfeit goods through customs and with regard to trying to avoid the tax.

You've not watched many movies then. :D

ps. Did you see that youtube clip about American's and geography?

I dont think Ive seen any Vietnam glorification movie lately.

As for the youtube clip, there are stupid people everywhere. Its just getting easier to (and more profitable to) film them. I lived with Europeans at a University in Australia who railed on American's knowledge of geography.... that was, until I quizzed them :rolleyes:

What is hte catch with E-gold since very few mention it?

No-one knows if they actually have the gold. They could just up and away with everyone's money.

Read up on them and you'll see they've had a few problems before, mostly to do with the way the brokers are franchises or something silly.

No offense meant to any dealer that is using CC processing....but I would be hesitant to pass my details on......what if the gateway processors server got hacked......or if you're sending details direct to the dealer.......anything can happen.......!

I keep hearing the same old mantra...'it's not illegal to buy reps'........maybe not yet in your country......but look at Italy and France now......you get your ass reamed with huge fines.....what if suddenly YOUR government decided that instead of going after the supply....why not kill the demand......suddenly you could find yourself as a target.......the best way to conduct this business is with an eye to anoniminity......and keep it under the radar as much as possible......Moneygram / WU etc etc....are very efficient and anonymous........if you have access to 'one off' Visa cards....then that's ideal.....but no card registered to you on a permanent basis.....JMHO.

Anonymity works for me . Clearly the way to go. WU looks good. Discretion in this case definitely required.

Importing them into the US is also illegal. It's called smuggling. So, ordering from China would count as smuggling, with regard to trying to get counterfeit goods through customs and with regard to trying to avoid the tax.

Pug, technically you may be right, but practically, it doesn't affect buying from China. A recent call to my CC company questioning the use of credit cards for Chinese/Asian purchases (of course, they knew what I was talking about), they responded that they had no problems with "purchases" from China and the same CC protections exist.

As for the smuggling issue, Americans are "smuggling" approximately 1 hundred thousand items a WEEK,via credit cards according to US sources. "smuggling" being purchases from Asia. Anyone gone to jail yet (other than domestic resellers)?

It's obvious that the cc companie's love the business........and we won't be fugitives :thumbsupsmileyanim:

this is a repost from the other credit card thread (which isn't getting any love these days -- silly to have two threads -- i seemed to have picked the wrong thread to post in)...

i've been meaning to ask in one of these threads -- how do yall feel about a bank wire as an option -- is it better or worse in terms of disclosing information than a credit card processor? apparently washington mutual here in the states has free international wire transfers....

anybody know the answer to this one? to be honest i don't have a clue....