When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Eta 2824 Or 2836 For A Gen Datejust Case?

vmena

I've always used 2824 mov. for franken projects when using a gen datejust case (15000 or 162XX) following Randy's instructions in an old thread about his franken projects. Now I've seen some comments (sorry not remembering who and where) about using directly 2836 without needing a spacer, and also many datejusts reps are using the ETA 2836. DO you know if 2836 is better than 2824 for this type of projects?

Correct. I went with a 2824 in my project (16234 early 90's X serial case) as the position of the stem lined up center in the tube. The 2836's that I had tried positioned the stem too far back towards the caseback, and hence the stem was not centered.

Different model ref's may require different ETA's due to the movement used in the original (i.e. 1570, 3035, 3135, etc). If you have one or both ETAs on hand, it's a simple matter of placing the movement and dial into the case to see where the stem lines up in the tube.

I've always used 2824 mov. for franken projects when using a gen datejust case (15000 or 162XX) following Randy's instructions in an old thread about his franken projects. Now I've seen some comments (sorry not remembering who and where) about using directly 2836 without needing a spacer, and also many datejusts reps are using the ETA 2836. DO you know if 2836 is better than 2824 for this type of projects?

If you are planning on using the date, the stem will not line up with a 2836-2 in a modern case for 3135. I haven't tried in a 3035 case, but have heard they fit. I've used 2824-2 in 3135 case, as well as a 2834-2 (removed date function) in a 3135 15200 case for a franken-king. Right now I am using a custom size 12.5''' 2892 movement from ETA for a franken-just. you will need a spacer between dial and movement in order to align the stem though, as the movement is thinner. The bonus is, the extra room you have between the dial and movement will allow for a genuine datewheel overlay.

Right now I am using a custom size 12.5''' 2892 movement from ETA for a franken-just. you will need a spacer between dial and movement in order to align the stem though, as the movement is thinner. The bonus is, the extra room you have between the dial and movement will allow for a genuine datewheel overlay.

Wouldn't this make the hand posts too shallow relative to the dial face, causing the hands to be too close (perhaps even touching) to the dial? Or is there enough 'wiggle room' to allow for this?

SR

Wouldn't this make the hand posts too shallow relative to the dial face, causing the hands to be too close (perhaps even touching) to the dial? Or is there enough 'wiggle room' to allow for this?

SR

You have to replace the fourth wheel, cannon pinion, and hour wheel. It is extra work, but I have had to do this with a 2824-2 as well. I had to order a hand fitting height taller to work on a datejust. For the 2892, the ideal fitting height is 3, but you have to order them for a 2893-2.

I've used the 2836 in my two frankejust projects with the 16013 and 16014 cases. These are the cases for the 80's Datejusts with the 3035 movement and the plastic crystal. The stem on the 2824 was too high, so I used the 2836 and it lined up correctly with the case tube and crown.