When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My New Purchase, A Red Sub...

Omega

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a very beautiful watch, Omega and the post was a fun read. My own intention - looking at the pictures when opening the thread - was gen. As Ubi said later... too many gen parts to make sense as a rep. I would however invest a couple of bucks and buy a new 127.

My envy shall haunt you.... :bleh:

Wow, first time to read this thread! I thought it was just another of those guessing games which I'm not very good at. :p

For the record, I would have guessed gen or an MBW with a butt load of OEM parts and one fantastic aging process. On these guys, without opening her up and checking the serials between the lugs it's sometimes difficult to know for sure.

Fantastic watch, Omega & congrats! Nothing beats the genuine article and the pride of ownership that goes owning a piece of history, specially such as this. You may have to change your forum signature now. :lol:

Enjoy!

For the record, I would have guessed gen or an MBW with a butt load of OEM parts and one fantastic aging process. On these guys, without opening her up and checking the serials between the lugs is sometimes difficult to know for sure.

The crown was centred vertically in the guards. That's a sure mark of a gen. :D

The first thing that striked me as "gen" was the correct red SUBMARINER font on the dial. I have never seen aftermarket or rep dial like that. The text and font is significantly smaller than on the rep 1680 (red).

The first thing that striked me as "gen" was the correct red SUBMARINER font on the dial. I have never seen aftermarket or rep dial like that. The text and font is significantly smaller than on the rep 1680 (red).

...and if you have a gen red Sub dial, it's a certainty you have a gen watch, because ... well, the dial is the hard bit to get.

There is absolutely dial printing variations. There were 3 dial makers at the time making dials for rolex.

Stern, Bey and Singer. Each with differences in manufacturing, printing, etc.

well there you go than. I came to the party late missed this last night, but was going to guess rep only because the red lettering on the dial looked off to me... but ubi is the man...shows what i know...