When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Does anyone know how to print little stickers without background? Dial-Refinishing-Kit comin up

Yeah. White ink on a clear background. I tried lots of ways to do this until I went blind. But I'm pretty stubborn too. Will have to take some time off one of these days to try again. Also raised text, another monkey wrench in the ointment. I had some foil tape that gave a good chrome or gold effect when run through a laser printer, but I don't remember if it was raised or not. It was pretty cool. I still got it around here somewhere. But spending too much time buying reps to get back into the graphics stuff. I think if somebody had access to real printing machines and stuff, it probably wouldn't be too much of a problem, but I think we're basically talking desktop publishing stuff here, laser printers and inkjets. Maybe we're taking this too seriously. :cc_confused:

Please excuse my ignorance if this sounds silly, but could you use a high quality ink jet printer and print the dial on a CD/DVD label (they come in either gloss or matte finish, peel off and self-stick, and once applied they do not come off)? You could reprint (2 or more times) over those parts that need to be raised and then apply lume as needed. When complete, just peel and stick to a dial blank. With a scanner and photoshop, I would think you could copy and reproduce any dial exactly.

You could reprint (2 or more times)

For this to work the print would have to be in the exact same spot 3 times or more. There is not any printer available that could do it. There is no room for error since the print is so small. You would end up with a blurred fat type even if it came close. The only way to do this is to silk screen the dial with proper ink.

Please excuse my ignorance if this sounds silly, but could you use a high quality ink jet printer and print the dial on a CD/DVD label (they come in either gloss or matte finish, peel off and self-stick, and once applied they do not come off)? You could reprint (2 or more times) over those parts that need to be raised and then apply lume as needed. When complete, just peel and stick to a dial blank. With a scanner and photoshop, I would think you could copy and reproduce any dial exactly.

It's the raised ink and resolution that gets you--Printing 2 times is 100% doable, but not with a home inkjet and for that matter not w/ the same kind of printing technology the second time as the first. Which printers have the capability to print 2 times within 1/2800 of an inch of the first time? Not many. Plus you need specialized software. Plus you'd need to coat the paper so enough ink sits on top w/o spreading out. Try feeding the same printed DVD label through your inkjet twice and you'll see what I mean.

I'm not trying to talk anyone out of anything, and I've already wasted the time figuring this out, but belive me--I wouldn't do it over again. Spend the time and money finding a rep friendly screen/pad printer--you'll be glad you did.

If someone really did buy a dial printing machine--I have some .EPS files you might be interested in. Please PM.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have read this post with interest, so I did some more research and found a Silk screen Printing Kit, I bought it to check it out and although I havent actually burned an image yet (everything still new) I believe it would be of more use to somebody with the image file he wishes to print, the kit comes with black, red & yellow ink, I paid 50 bucks for it and believe me it is an interesting process.

:fishing1: