When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Boycott the Asian7750

2sweetau

Ok, I'll try spending a bit more time here reading then.

If you manage to have a popular uprising, and it can happen, and your boycot works, what do you think will happen? Will they just stop making chronograph replicas altogether or will they start putting Quartz in the next gen of SuperReps?

If the dealers are fair dinkum, the pressure from the dealers to the makers should get them to address the all major issues with this movement once and for all. if what the people state here is correct and the movement is indeed fine provided its serviced before use... then it should be done before sale. if the price goes up... then so be it but atleast the comsumer is getting what they expect to a degree.

its understood that anything can happen... you still may very well get a watch with a perfected A7750 that is DOA or may break down after within 6 months but atleast the percentages of that happening should replicate acceptable rates of success seen with almost all other movments seen in replicas. Most people assume a small amount of risk with ANY movement but at the moment, the RISK involved in buying this movement with the track record and together with the cost of the watch is way too high.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the dealers are fair dinkum, the pressure from the dealers to the makers should get them to address the all major issues with this movement once and for all.

I don't see how this can work.

The issue with the movement is that it's shipped dry or badly lubed. There's no way without opening it of telling if it's well prepped or badly prepped, and prepping it badly is cheaper. If you want a working 7750 without issues, it's dead easy: Buy your favourite chrono and pay the extra to have it serviced. If you're not prepared to pay the extra, you'd not be prepared to pay the premium demanded by the dealer for a guaranteed pre-serviced movement.

If you don't want to run the risk, or get it serviced, then by all means boycott it. However, I think it's a bit too much to persuade the whole board to boycott it, because I and many others have had no/very little problems with the movement.

"many others", You mean the minority dont you??

Service .... do you mean before any use??? sounds like the movement should not be sold but our trusttworthy dealers because its not fit for use... maybe for the great good of all and not the minority that inroads are made for this movement future production.

The pitty of it is that DOA watch doesnt get a chance and this happens way to often with this movement. it's clear that this fine movement that realises on alot of hope and the responsibllty of the owner to "fix it" for intial use to get it working they way it should be sold.

Correct me if I am wrong guys, but quality of asian movements has always INCREASED, not decreased. Particularly the 7750.

I am convinced they are slowly getting this figured out until they reach roughly the same level as the swiss. Slowly getting the precision necessary, better machinery, etc. I think it just needs time and will come on its own.

Service .... do you mean before any use???

Sure, why not.

Just pretend the watch is delivered unfinished and you have to pay a bit more to finish it, unless you don't care.

Correct me if I am wrong guys, but quality of asian movements has always INCREASED, not decreased. Particularly the 7750.

Correct.

I don't see how this can work.

The issue with the movement is that it's shipped dry or badly lubed. There's no way without opening it of telling if it's well prepped or badly prepped, and prepping it badly is cheaper. If you want a working 7750 without issues, it's dead easy: Buy your favourite chrono and pay the extra to have it serviced. If you're not prepared to pay the extra, you'd not be prepared to pay the premium demanded by the dealer for a guaranteed pre-serviced movement.

In reality does the movement have a chance without a service? using that defense, then why trustworty dealers sell a watch without a service which is required. The words here to concentrate on are "trust" and "required".... if the watch will not work without pre-use service.. do not sell it if your trustyworthy. Otherwise it looks like dealers know they will sell more watches for a price that does not reflect the true cost of what the owner must pay before they will have a watch that will work. Remember, we trust alot here and the trust for this movement is not returned in kind. It needs to fixed as production level otherwise its not fit for sale and it should not be the owner job to get it working they way it should in the first place.

Edited by 2sweetau

Do we have any figure to base that this said movement is really that bad? Say,,10 per 100? 20 per hundred? I have 3 with the older 7750 that is is working great. I use these watches about 5 times a month. I just do not play with the chrono.

It needs to fixed as production level otherwise its not fit for sale and it should not be the owner job to get it working they way it should in the first place.

Good luck with that. You see two identical looking watches and one is $300, the other is $500 and you're told they're both identical inside but one's been oiled. Would you pay the $500?

Most customers would pay the $300 so the dealers aim for that.

Do we have any figure to base that this said movement is really that bad? Say,,10 per 100? 20 per hundred? I have 3 with the older 7750 that is is working great. I use these watches about 5 times a month. I just do not play with the chrono.

I have four 7750s, one is serviced. All work fine.

This is the serviced one:

217405-15316.jpg

Sure, why not.

Just pretend the watch is delivered unfinished and you have to pay a bit more to finish it, unless you don't care.

Correct.

unfinished product for sale??? not adverised that way and if it was "a bit" more, the manufactures/dealers can do they for the greater good for all.

Almost everything improves with time but this movement has been "improved" (many times) without success at the expense of many. It should just be alittle fairer to all and we are getting perfect looking watch but who cares if your are sold something thats "unfinished".

Good luck with that. You see two identical looking watches and one is $300, the other is $500 and you're told they're both identical inside but one's been oiled. Would you pay the $500?

Most customers would pay the $300 so the dealers aim for that.

then be honest about it upfront for the sake of all. Your A7750 movement does not have a chance untill you finish it off at your cost.

Who is your dealer?

i do not stick with one person.... i give everyone a go and do not have a preference ... i believe most offer similar levels of service from the very cream of the crop to the dealers that many regard as just ok. Are you a dealer Pugwash??

"many others", You mean the minority dont you??

Service .... do you mean before any use??? sounds like the movement should not be sold but our trusttworthy dealers because its not fit for use... maybe for the great good of all and not the minority that inroads are made for this movement future production.

The pitty of it is that DOA watch doesnt get a chance and this happens way to often with this movement. it's clear that this fine movement that realises on alot of hope and the responsibllty of the owner to "fix it" for intial use to get it working they way it should be sold.

Of the 9-7750 reps I've owned 2 have had issues, one was a daytona @ 6, then other runs about 2 minutes slow a day. The rest run like champs. Fathers gen hamilton with ETA 7750 runs about 4 minutes slow a day after 1.5 years.

many others", You mean the minority dont you??

Im not quite sure where you have got your figures from, or whether it is due to your misfortune that you feel that people who have a working 7750 watch are in the minority? The newer 28k movement have been looked at by our resident expert, and he says that the quality of the movement is almost on par with an ETA. The problem is that sometimes they can be shipped very very dry. This is the problem.

If a watch arrives DOA, then your dealer will sort it out, if they don't I wouldn't buy from them again!

The Asian 7750 does what no Asian movement could 5-7 years ago, bring real chrono functions to the replica world. I had a rep collection that once included watches like the Speedmaster with a chrono second hand that was the running seconds and faux chronos. These were the norm. The fact that it is such a good copy of the 7750 that it can be cleaned and oiled and will run like a champ is a fantastic bonus. I think the line of expectations here is getting blurred. Remember what we are buying. I think the fact that it works as well as it does is something to be grateful for.

If the cost effectiveness of buying what is essentially a $90 retail priced movement that needs a $200 service makes no sense to you just remember, your $300 Swiss ETA will need service eventually too.

The Asian 7750 does what no Asian movement could 5-7 years ago, bring real chrono functions to the replica world. I had a rep collection that once included watches like the Speedmaster with a chrono second hand that was the running seconds and faux chronos. These were the norm. The fact that it is such a good copy of the 7750 that it can be cleaned and oiled and will run like a champ is a fantastic bonus. I think the line of expectations here is getting blurred. Remember what we are buying. I think the fact that it works as well as it does is something to be grateful for.

No doubt but...

If the cost effectiveness of buying what is essentially a $90 retail priced movement that needs a $200 service makes no sense to you just remember, your $300 Swiss ETA will need service eventually too.

It will probably be 18 mos to 3 years or so before you service the the ETA at which point you may have to had to service the Asian movement a second time.. Either way, you are paying for one more service cost for the Asian movement.

That is true

Well Said ! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I'd probably never buy a watch w/ the old asia 7750, both because you have to have the cannon pinion slippage problem fixed as soon as you get it and because it runs @ 18k, but the new asian 7750 needs neither service or boycott in my experience. I'm 5 for 5--all keeping decent time w/ acceptable if not great power reserves.

As more reps come w/ movents from asia thanks to ETA's wising up, more of us are just going to have to implement the rule many collectors already follow: When a high end rep is delivered it automatically gets serviced. I bet the majority of us already factor an improved strap into the cost of any rep, and a beautiful strap can cost almost as much as a movement service. Now there's an idea...we ought to boycott rep straps...they turn out to be POSes a lot more often than the new asia 7750 does, that's for sure.

Something else to remember is that as time goes no the quality and reilability of the Asian 7750 will improve. Think bactk to the early 70's and Japanese cars like Honda, Toyota, ect were considered a joke. 20 years plus and no one was laughing anymore. Now I am not saying it will take 20 years but in the forseeable future we will have Asian 7750's that are much better in quality and reliability, the only way the makers will get there is by making watches and that means that we will continue to accept that we may get watch with problems..........practise makes perfect!!

P.S. I have had trouble with the Asian 7750 when it 1st came out but the new high beat versions are much better.......but I don't use the chronograph function on any of them!!

TimeShare