When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

(Update) Help! Problem.... King & Chinese Post

boncovi

I bought a Tag Heuer Carrera Chrono (Red Hand) from her on 24/01.

She shipped with Fedex and I got it after 3 days. When I open the package, I saw that mechanism was faulty and red hand was misaligned.

I talked to King and agreed to send the watch back for change, but I talked to Fedex, UPS, DHL to send it to China, and they gave me minimum 68 USD shipping rate from TURKEY to CHINA.

I talked to King again, agreed to send it via National Post. I put it in a small box, then a bubble envelope, sealed it and put tape on the seal and sent on 30/01.

10,20,30 days passed, she didn't receive it. Registered letters can be tracked from the Internet but Turkish post show only the points in Turkey, international tracking is not available.

I asked her to check the post office with the tracking number, and today she mailed me this:

"hi,i get from post office.but post office said when it arrive .the package is was opened.and only paper.the watch not in it.

i can show you the airmail show me 's message.so i don't know how to do now?"

I am so sad i wasnt expecting this, and dont know what to do. letter was not insured, only proof I have is the paper they gave me from the post office, and the web site saying that the letter left Turkey in good condition, 3 days after I sent it.

I paid 240USD for it, didn't wear a single day.

I think someone from the post office ripped the envelope and took the watch. Or it was opened at the customs to control, and when they saw the watch, tag heuer, they thought it is genuine, and took it. I cant think any other probability.

I wrote back King to push the post office, but dont know what to say. I paid 240 usd, got nothing, she sent me a watch for 240 usd, now it is missing.

What would you do, or how should we handle this? I have no idea, Please help

Edited by TwoTone

Im sorry to hear about this! Stay in contact with Kng, she will be experienced to know how to handle this, and she is one of the best dealers there. Hang on in there, hopefully things wil work out!

For next time (hopefully won't happen again) you send a watch make sure it's contents are insured, and send it via recorded delivery.

Im sorry to hear about this! Stay in contact with Kng, she will be experienced to know how to handle this, and she is one of the best dealers there. Hang on in there, hopefully things wil work out!

For next time (hopefully won't happen again) you send a watch make sure it's contents are insured, and send it via recorded delivery.

Hi, thank you very much, I hope she will handle it..

I sent it via registered (recorded) mail, but due to technical insufficiency of Turkish post, it can only be tracked inside Turkey. it says "Package left Turkey, item received in good condition" as last record.

Registered letters are recorded at every point they arrive, receiver signs the record paper when receiving the package, so I think they might find in which point it was opened. but then? how will she prove there was a watch in it? it wasnt insured due to customs risks.

Well, waiting for her reply

Worst case scenario, I'd write it off. There is some risk associated with trading in reps, and shipping any valuables for that matter. If it happened to me, I'd offer to pay the dealers cost for a new one. Assuming it is something like a 50% markup, $375 is still a bargain--especially if you can work it so that since the watch is costing you more, the dealer agrees to closely QC the watch they send to make sure it is perfect. Where else are you going to get a Tag Heuer rep for that price except from one of our dealers?

/Tim

No need to double-post.

I am so sad i wasnt expecting this, and dont know what to do. letter was not insured, only proof I have is the paper they gave me from the post office, and the web site saying that the letter left Turkey in good condition, 3 days after I sent it.

Was the weight written on the package or the receipt?

Worst case scenario, I'd write it off. There is some risk associated with trading in reps, and shipping any valuables for that matter. If it happened to me, I'd offer to pay the dealers cost for a new one. Assuming it is something like a 50% markup, $375 is still a bargain--especially if you can work it so that since the watch is costing you more, the dealer agrees to closely QC the watch they send to make sure it is perfect. Where else are you going to get a Tag Heuer rep for that price except from one of our dealers?

/Tim

Well, it's complicated. I would insure the package, but both of the watches I've received from king were marked as "toy doll" with a value of "5 usd" written on the box, it is to avoid any possible customs taxes etc. therefore I sent it uninsured.

If I pay %50 price which is 120usd more, it's not my fault, I didn't lose the watch, why shall I pay extra? and also, wouldnt she have to check it well before sending? this could be prevented. well, im not putting the blame on king, it may happen, but from her side, she sent a watch and couldnt get it back, why would she send me a new watch at her own expense?

If you can show that to King, explaining that the package was lighter than when it left, she'll believe you.

I don't think that there's something about trust between me and king, I was curious asking once three days if she received it or not.

Let's say she believes me, if I ask her to send me a new watch, it's not her fault, why would she send a new one? but on the other side, I sent 240usd and got nothing, it's not my fault also, why would I lose that money? that's the problem.

what do you think she should do?

what do you think she should do?

If it were me, I'd ask for a replacement free of charge. I'd not get it, and I'd haggle for as much as possible.

You should have received a working watch, but this is the rep world. You may have to settle for the fact that you will end up paying half for a replacement. It's what happens when you don't pay insurance: It's cheaper until you need it.

If it were me, I'd ask for a replacement free of charge. I'd not get it, and I'd haggle for as much as possible.

You should have received a working watch, but this is the rep world. You may have to settle for the fact that you will end up paying half for a replacement. It's what happens when you don't pay insurance: It's cheaper until you need it.

Seeing king's packages marked as "toy doll $5" I intentionally sent it uninsured, to avoid customs risks, otherwise I would.

Well, I'm waiting for king's reply. We'll see...

King wouldn't have been happy at all if he'd have insured it because she would have had to pay import charges, whenever a watch has to be returned to a dealer they always ask the sender to put a low value on the package, as you probably know unfortunately you cannot insure a package for more than the value stated on the customs form.

King wouldn't have been happy at all if he'd have insured it because she would have had to pay import charges, whenever a watch has to be returned to a dealer they always ask the sender to put a low value on the package, as you probably know unfortunately you cannot insure a package for more than the value stated on the customs form.

Excatly.

People always talk about fast shipping and processing times, quality of the watches, accuracy etc. in the dealer review section.

I think, "good customer service" is not what they say there.

things like mine happen once in 100 order, or twice.. or even more.. "good customer service" should be rewarded depending on how a seller handles these issues. If you leave no dissatisfied customers, then your service is good.

Well, not a single person has said bad things about King, and me neither, I'm sure she'll handle it. Still waiting a reply..

Just to mitigate future risk in similar situations, is it possible for you to locate a local watchmaker/repair shop who can help resolve such problems (rather than having to send the watch back)? You can then negotiate with the dealer as far as payment for the repair goes, and you no longer have to risk shipping/customs/transit headaches.

Just to mitigate future risk in similar situations, is it possible for you to locate a local watchmaker/repair shop who can help resolve such problems (rather than having to send the watch back)? You can then negotiate with the dealer as far as payment for the repair goes, and you no longer have to risk shipping/customs/transit headaches.

Yes, first I took it to a local watch shop, authorized service of Rolex, Omega, Tag Heuer and Seiko. No suspicion that the repairman was bad. Told him it is a rep, and the red hand is misaligned, also the buttons stick and don't function sometimes. he didnt even open it, looking with a loupe out of the glass back, said: "mechanism is faulty and stuck, if i open it, it may become worse or completely non-functional" and recommended me to return it.

If it was a small fix, I wouldnt hassle with all of those. :(

Yes, first I took it to a local watch shop, authorized service of Rolex, Omega, Tag Heuer and Seiko. No suspicion that the repairman was bad. Told him it is a rep, and the red hand is misaligned, also the buttons stick and don't function sometimes. he didnt even open it, looking with a loupe out of the glass back, said: "mechanism is faulty and stuck, if i open it, it may become worse or completely non-functional" and recommended me to return it.

If it was a small fix, I wouldnt hassle with all of those. :(

I think this watch smith was polite....maybe he doesent like reps.

I agree with Ubi here. I had a spoilt 7750 movt (for a Bentley GT) which was beyond repair, so requested that Jay (Silix) send me a replacement movt, instead of the whole watch, for my watchsmith to replace. Less risky that way...

Sorry to hear about your predicament, just hope that King can, just for this time get a replacement just for you. -_-

Sorry to hear (and read) another sad story with defective watches send and replacements that never come through.

You are not the first one my friend. It has happened before (with other dealers too) and it will happen again.

In similar cases there only two things you can do:

1) Find a rep friendly watchsmith to get the watch fixed and have the dealer to pay back the diferrence if the amount is significant.

Finding though such

2) Send the watch back ... as you did.

Well in this case .... and after reading your story ... is all King fault.

King is a very nice person and normally does note let clients down.

But again ..... she (or her distributor) has send out a defective watch

I'm not going to comment on all aspects of this....but here's some things you should know....!

1. Sending watches back and forth is a RISKY business,...and should be done only as a last resort.

2. It's better to find a local watchsmith.....NEVER EVER TELL THEM IT"S A REPLICA....let him tell you.....!

3. If you can......take the movement out of the case......if you can...remove the hands and dial......taking a movement to a watchsmith will produce a less negative reaction......if you can't remove the hands and dial....tell the watchsmith that you bought the movement on Ebay and want to check it over before using it in another project watch.

Never ever if you can avoid it send back an expensive rep.......I always ask members to send back Noobmariners,.....because they're relatively cheap to replace...but i wouldn't take back any $200+ watch.......better to have it repaired locally...or thru someone on the board.

I am very sorry too to hear another sad experience.

1. I think we all need to follow TTK's and other advice: find a local watchsmith. But that ain't easy at all.

2. But first, our dealers MUST do QC before they send out our orders. In 100% of the cases it will avoid the problem of sending the watch back as no non functionning watch should ever be originaly shipped of course.

In your situation, you are not faulty, King is because she did not check the watch prior to let it go from China.

It is does normal that a new one is sent to you.

In other situations, like after a year the watch stops, and you decide to send it back to China, it's your responsability.

Cheers

Stephane