When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Alpha Submariners

TeeJay

You could always buy one and let us know how you make out.

But I'm almost 99.9% sure that it's a CN case just like all of our other CN cases. 28+mm dial (gens are around 27.2mm), probably a 30.5mm crystal not 29.5mm like in a gen 295C, shallow rehaut.

But I'm almost 99.9% sure that it's a CN case just like all of our other CN cases. 28+mm dial (gens are around 27.2mm), probably a 30.5mm crystal not 29.5mm like in a gen 295C, shallow rehaut.

I have an Alpha sub and a GMT. Quite good actually...esp for the cost. The bezel inserts are the same size. The cases are a little thinner than our better RLX reps. I don't believe there is enough case material to resize the crown tube hole for a gen tube. Yes...shallow rehaut. You would be better off getting a C-OMEX sub...mine has a thicker case and deeper rehaut than my best rlx sub rep with ETA. But, you can't count on anything since the factories change these things without any notice.Also, my C-OMEX vintage explorer will take a gen tropic 22 crystal. These match originals better than Alpha...see http://www.eta2836.com/ETA2836.com/html%20folder/c-omex.html

Rumours? You mean FlipLock's trolling?

That's the other name for it ;)

I could, but if it wouldn't accept the Tudor dial, I'd be left with an entire watch I wouldn't want. I've already got a decent Submariner, and no use for a clone (it would never see wrist time) but if it would be a suitable donor, it's certainly a better option than buying a decent rep and using that as a case donor ;)

I have an Alpha sub and a GMT. Quite good actually...esp for the cost. The bezel inserts are the same size. The cases are a little thinner than our better RLX reps. I don't believe there is enough case material to resize the crown tube hole for a gen tube. Yes...shallow rehaut. You would be better off getting a C-OMEX sub...mine has a thicker case and deeper rehaut than my best rlx sub rep with ETA. But, you can't count on anything since the factories change these things without any notice.Also, my C-OMEX vintage explorer will take a gen tropic 22 crystal. These match originals better than Alpha...see http://www.eta2836.com/ETA2836.com/html%20folder/c-omex.html

Thanks for the tip, Olivia, I definitely think one of the C-OMEX subs would be a better case donor. I can't seem to see any prices on the site, what's the usual asking price?

That's the other name for it ;)

I could, but if it wouldn't accept the Tudor dial, I'd be left with an entire watch I wouldn't want. I've already got a decent Submariner, and no use for a clone (it would never see wrist time) but if it would be a suitable donor, it's certainly a better option than buying a decent rep and using that as a case donor ;)

Thanks for the tip, Olivia, I definitely think one of the C-OMEX subs would be a better case donor. I can't seem to see any prices on the site, what's the usual asking price?

You'll have to email eta2836 to get prices. There should be an email link at the site.

I could, but if it wouldn't accept the Tudor dial, I'd be left with an entire watch I wouldn't want.

Have you measured your Tudor dial? And if you don't have a set of digital calipers, Harbor Freight sells them for a reasonable price. If you're fretting over buying a $100 watch, you're not gonna want to buy a $400 vintage MBW, which may be your only viable option. Gen dials are smaller than rep dials. Vintage MBW's and gen 1680 Rolexes run in the 26mm range. A 16800 dial, I just got is 27.2mm. The rep dial on a TW Best sub is 28mm+. It's going to be a challenge to fit the 16800 dial in the TW Best case, w/o seeing daylight. Everyone else who has built a Tudor sub has used an MBW case, as I recall.

I have a C-omex sub and will measure it tonight, but I already know that it is a CN case because I put another 28mm CN dial in it already. I'd love to fit my 16800 dial in it with the shallow rehaut, cause 16800's had shallower rehaut because of the 3035 movt, but it's the same old deal- gen dials are too small.

Have you measured your Tudor dial? And if you don't have a set of digital calipers, Harbor Freight sells them for a reasonable price. If you're fretting over buying a $100 watch, you're not gonna want to buy a $400 vintage MBW, which may be your only viable option. Gen dials are smaller than rep dials. Vintage MBW's and gen 1680 Rolexes run in the 26mm range. A 16800 dial, I just got is 27.2mm. The rep dial on a TW Best sub is 28mm+. It's going to be a challenge to fit the 16800 dial in the TW Best case, w/o seeing daylight. Everyone else who has built a Tudor sub has used an MBW case, as I recall.

I have a C-omex sub and will measure it tonight, but I already know that it is a CN case because I put another 28mm CN dial in it already. I'd love to fit my 16800 dial in it with the shallow rehaut, cause 16800's had shallower rehaut because of the 3035 movt, but it's the same old deal- gen dials are too small.

I'm not sure of the size of the Tudor dial, as I have not actually sourced the dial I would want yet. The cost of the watch is not the issue. It doesn't really matter what it costs, as long as it will be suitable for what I want to do with it. If the more expensive watch is required, that's what I'll have to get. My concern is buying any watch as a case donor, and it then not accepting the Tudor dial, because I would not wear an Alpha Clone, nor would I actually want another Submariner, as the one I have is perfectly good, so either way, I would be left with a watch I would never wear. My concern is purely about part compatability so I don't order the wrong thing, the price is an irrelevence. If I can use a cheaper watch as a case donor, then that will be preferable, as I don't like spending money if there is a cheaper alternative, but wouldn't hesitate to buy the more expensive watch if that is all that will be suitable. My view has always been "it costs what it costs" :)

Thanks in advance for measuring the C-OMEX :)

" I have a C-omex sub and will measure it tonight, but I already know that it is a CN case..."

My C-OMEX is a TW case...it is heavier and a little thicker than the CN cases on Subs. The bezel is also a little thicker. But, I bought mine about 3 years ago. Oh, and it has lug holes and the RLX markings between the lugs.

Edited by olivia

C-omex dial 29.00mm

TW Best sub dial 28.45mm

CN sub dial 28.42mm

inside ring of C-omex sub case (CN)- 27.51mm. Mine has lug holes and no case markings, around 2 yrs old.

gen Datejust dial- 16000 series- 27.86mm

gen 16800 sub dial 27.38mm

gen 16610 sub dial 27.25mm

gen 1680 sub dial 26.48mm

The 16800 dial is small, but will just barely fit inside my TW Best sub case. I didn't measure the inside ring of the TW case, but my guess is that it's around 27.2mm. That means you have .18mm to hold the dial in place and keep it from hitting the crystal. It's gonna be a tough fit, because if the dial isn't perfectly centered in the case, there will be "daylight" showing on one side or the other. Hopefully the movement ring will be a tight fit and in gluing the dial to the movt, it's got to be exact.

There's no doubt this stuff is always changing. Look at lug holes, they've all but disappeared in the last two years (except on the vintage models, of course). It would be great if CN or TW would make a 1:1 case where the dial and bezel insert would fit w/o mods.