When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Genuine Swiss ETA Movement (Hmmmmmm)

DongHo

Apologies if you have read this before, but I have posted a similar thread on another forum.

My questions (to those with greater experience than moi) is whether or not the replicas offered by the like of Josh, Andrew, etc with Swiss Eta movements (2836-2, 2824-2, etc) are really Swiss Eta movements?

I have read lots of threads from various sources all making contrary claims to one another. Some say that the movements are genuine Eta, others say that they are all just Asian copies of Eta movements.

If anyone who knows the truth, I'd be mighty glad to know the answer.

Cheers

Apologies if you have read this before, but I have posted a similar thread on another forum.

My questions (to those with greater experience than moi) is whether or not the replicas offered by the like of Josh, Andrew, etc with Swiss Eta movements (2836-2, 2824-2, etc) are really Swiss Eta movements?

I have read lots of threads from various sources all making contrary claims to one another. Some say that the movements are genuine Eta, others say that they are all just Asian copies of Eta movements.

Cheers

Ahhh grasshopper...but do you know a Swiss ETA is really made in China??????? So actually all Swiss ETA's are Asian made!!!!!

Confused....join the crowd!

More and more in the shell game of movement provenance, performance is going to be the bottom line, not actual ETA lineage.

My 4th gen PO from Andrew is advertised as having a 2824-2 movement in it. I cracked the back, because it was running +3 seconds a day, and I adjusted the timing by 1/2 of one notch. While in there, I looked around with a 5x Jewlers loop. All the markings were right where they were supposed to be. After 3 weeks, in the winder, on my wrist, we are running +1 seconds a day. At this point in time, if someone told me it was an "asian copy", I would say................thank you sir, may I have another!

Cheers

I can only respond based on my own experience. I have a rep rolex day date that was sold as a swiss eta 2836-2. I decided to have the watch serviced and my watchmaker commented on the high quality when I picked the watch up. I think he was actually surprised at the extremely high quality for a replica watch stating that most reps that he sees are junk. He also seemed surprised that I got such a high quality watch for so little money. I asked if the watch had an eta movement and he confirmed that fact. I can't be sure, but I think that he would know the difference between a copy and a genuine eta.

I can only respond based on my own experience. I have a rep rolex day date that was sold as a swiss eta 2836-2. I decided to have the watch serviced and my watchmaker commented on the high quality when I picked the watch up. I think he was actually surprised at the extremely high quality for a replica watch stating that most reps that he sees are junk. He also seemed surprised that I got such a high quality watch for so little money. I asked if the watch had an eta movement and he confirmed that fact. I can't be sure, but I think that he would know the difference between a copy and a genuine eta.

I wouldn't bet on it and I predict more confusion and less origin certanty as we move into the ETA shortage era. Even Ziggy stated in his recent teardown of the Chinese 2824 copy that it was tough to see any differences, (except for the absence of an ETA hallmark), right down to the machining marks. As I stated earlier, I think once we get used to the Chinese providing movements that are 99% accurate copies of ETA's and performers of ETA quality, naming them "swiss movements" is going to mean less and less.

No R11co, i was speaking to the brother of a freind who knows an Invicta sales rep (real knowledgeable chap i hear) and he assured me that they were 100% Chiss made, maybe some get a swinese make over, Cote de gangzu stripes and so on, I am a bit of an EAT snob and i want to be sure that mine are 100% gen Chiss, all the dealers are aware of this and am happy that i pay an extra premium for assurance on its origin. :crazy:

I wouldn't bet on it and I predict more confusion and less origin certanty as we move into the ETA shortage era. Even The Zigmeister stated in his recent teardown of the Chinese 2824 copy that it was tough to see any differences, (except for the absence of an ETA hallmark), right down to the machining marks. As I stated earlier, I think once we get used to the Chinese providing movements that are 99% accurate copies of ETA's and performers of ETA quality, naming them "swiss movements" is going to mean less and less.

You're probably right, and it will matter less and less as well. Johsua has ultimate planet oceans with chinese copies of eta movements for a little over half of what the genuine eta sells for.