When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rep Lemania Movements

stac

I'm officially hooked on Daytona's :whistling:

After much reading I'm more confused than ever...

I do know that I'm liking the vintage models. Paul has several that are self winding with a rep Lemania movenet. My question for the experts is simple...

is this movemt junk?

The Zigmeisters Lemania review The "Lemania" is considered to be a good movement.

I have a 6263 replica powered by the Lemaina, Venus 175 copy. It is a very very nice watch. Feels solid and sits lower on the wrist than the 7750 powered watches. Also, it is very smooth to wind. Recommended! :)

I have frozen the subdial@6 on mine. It is almost easy to do.. :p

221063-14442.jpg

is this movemt junk?

Robust, bomb-proof, everything you want from a chrono movement. The Seagull ST19 is an unsung hero, never getting its praise under its real name. It's Lemania this, Venus that, but never Seagull ST19.

ALL PRAISE THE MIGHTY SEAGULL ST19!

Sorry, I got a bit carried away. :D

Yes, buy any watch with one of these without fear.

221064-14441.jpg

I have two vintage Daytona's with the Seagull 'handwind' movement. Both have had zero problems. I too, like the fact that at 10mm thick they sit low and comfortable on the wrist, as opposed to the 7750's. The downside is the necessity of freezing the 6:00 sub dial...(If you care about it)

The Zigmeisters Lemania review The "Lemania" is considered to be a good movement.

I have a 6263 replica powered by the Lemaina, Venus 175 copy. It is a very very nice watch. Feels solid and sits lower on the wrist than the 7750 powered watches. Also, it is very smooth to wind. Recommended! :)

I have frozen the subdial@6 on mine. It is almost easy to do.. :p

221093-14432.jpg

Why did you freeze the subdial? I thought that was only necessary on the models with the mangled asian valjoux.

/Tim

Edited by Tim

Damn Seagull ST-19, a watchmakers' NIGHTMARE...never break, never cause problems, never see any for service...curse you Seagull !!!

Maybe I can sit alongside the Maytag repairman and we can share war stories.

:Jumpy:

Rob, while they make 7750s, you'll always have work.

Why did you freeze the subdial? I thought that was only necessary on the models with the mangled asian valjoux.

/Tim

The Seagull ST19 is a two-register movement, running seconds@9 and chrono-minutes@3. On the replicas which use this movement, as the Daytona and Omega Speedmaster, the subdial@6 is coupled to the hour hand and follows it.

In my mind it looks better with the chrono hour-hand pointing to 12, as it is correct as long as the chrono is not running past 1/2 hour. :)

This is definitely one of the best movements available in any watch. As Ziggy said, it just runs and runs, and it is smooth as butter to wind. It is not as pretty as some of the more expensive brands of chronos, but I think the build quality is on par with them. I have two of these movements and one is 5 or 6 years old and I never had any problems at all with it.

Search out the tutorial on freezing the hand in the lower subdial if you want the watch to look correct. This fix makes a very big difference in the appearance of the watch. The lower subdial on the gen version of these Daytonas is the hour chrono function and the 'Lemania' movement comes from the factory with the subdial functioning, instead, as a 2nd hour hand -- the hand keeps pace with the main hour hand, which screams 'fake' to anyone who knows anything about Daytonas. The fix involves removing the movement from the case, removing the hands and dial from the movement, and then removing one gear and permanently cementing another (the one that drives the subdial hand) in place. I do not remember the exact procedure, but that should give you the general idea. The fix will leave the hand in the lower subdial permanently pointing to the 12, which is the normal position for that hand on the gen Daytona when the chrono is not in use.

One oddity with the 'Lemania' is that you turn the crown CW to move the hands forward and CCW to move them backwards. This is the opposite of the way most movements work. Not sure why it is geared like that, but every one I have seen, including both of mine, work that way.