When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

More New Handmade Straps

savage_here

Well guys, I finally got enough spare time to make a couple of new straps.

The first one I think is best suited for PVD Pams. It's a very soft leather and it's a yellow/gold color. I stitched it with black thread and did the sides in a black dye and then hand burnished. Because of the softness of the leather, the edges are not beveled. Here are the specs:

24/24

123/77

4.5mm thick

Not punched yet

The second strap is one I initially made for myself for my 217. It's out of the same hide as the fully-stitched strap that I posted a while back. Because of my scrawny wrist, the buckle end ended up being just a few mm's too long for me and the buckle hit me in a funny place. So, I never punched it. This has beveled edges and is hand burnished. Here are the specs:

26/26

138/78

4-4.5mm thick

Not punched yet

As always, my straps are 100% double-needle hand-stitched.

Lastly, I have selected three new leathers for my next three straps. Let me know what you think...

Thanks for looking.

Scot

221747-14277.jpg

221747-14278.jpg

221747-14279.jpg

221747-14280.jpg

221747-14281.jpg

221747-14282.jpg

221747-14283.jpg

221747-14284.jpg

Wow! Nice work, Really like the first one. This thing about Panerai is a killer, first you want more than one watch, then it's the straps. Where does it end? Is the strap for sale?

Both straps are sold, sorry. I am finishing a stitchless version of the first strap, I only have the keeper left to do.

Thanks for looking.

Scot

awesome straps :wub: best amateur home made Ive seen here!! Ever!! :v:

pls tell details about what V asked, also pls add a little about the beveling methods you used

I sent V a detailed pm about the burnishing method, but I forgot to save a copy to my sent box. V, would you just post my reply to you? If he doesn't get it posted in the next couple of days, I'll recreate the reply.

Thanks so much for the compliments.

Scot

V, would you just post my reply to you?

Of course my friend :)

The burnishing really depends on the leather. First, the most important part is to start with a nice clean edge. When I cut the width of my straps, I use a rotary cutter and this gives me the cleanest edge I've been able to achieve.

Then, if the leather's firm and not too hairy, I bevel the edges. Then I apply some Gum Tragacanth and allow it to just dry. Moisture content of the leather is very important and it's really hard to tell when you have the "sweet spot". Then I use a canvass cloth that's been impregnated with beeswax (natural color). You start rubbing fairly vigorously until the leather heats up and the fibers start to lay down. You may find in this stage that you can't rub both ways and get a good slick edge. You may have to work one way or the other and just rub in that direction. Once it's slick, I use a product called Tan-Kote to finish and seal the edge so that it wears better. If you don't do this, you'll have to re-burnish sometime down the road when it roughs up from taking it on and off.

Now, if the leather is soft and/or hairy. Then you have to improvise a bit. On the gold/yellow strap this was the case. I used some leather dye that has a bit of acrylic in it. I couldn't bevel the edges b/c the leather was too soft for it to look good. Once the dye had dried, I used a wooden burnishing bit (that I made) on a dremel tool to do the first pass. I made the bit out of lignum vitae which is a very hard hardwood. Used the lowest speed on a variable speed dremel. Then when it was fairly smooth, I used the canvass cloth like previous. Again, finishing it off with the Tan-Kote. I was going to redye after the first pass b/c a little of the black came off and the natural color of the leather started just poking through. But, I kind of liked the look, so I left it alone.

It's really labor-intensive and somewhat of a pain, but the results are worth it to me anyway.

• 9 months later...
Any new Savage straps for the new year? :D

Sure, I've got some. I'm sorry I don't get to post much here...busy, busy. Since I don't have a dealer section I'm a little unsure of the etiquette for posting my straps. I don't want to break the rules.

Feel free to pm me and I can email you pics. In the interim I'll try to figure out the best way to post them. Can somebody tell me if it's ok to just post in the general Panerai section?

Thanks.

Savage

Since I don't have a dealer section I'm a little unsure of the etiquette for posting my straps. I don't want to break the rules.

You and Tootall should. And V. The latter posts his straps in the Panerai thread, so I'm guessing you can too.

(Beautiful strap, Peepshow! Love the billiard balls shot)