When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage Daytona

jeff g

post-22-1174676730_thumb.jpgpost-22-1174676661_thumb.jpg

I have been looking for this watch for a long time. I remember last year seeing a few wrist shots from one of our members, and I was hooked. Had to have one.

SS Bezel - Silver Dial

Searched high and low, even tried to get in touch with DW (Who evidently has the best case)...but to no avail. Finally found one.

I am stoked. Hope these shots are ok...new camera.

Enjoy.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 6263....

Yes, it is a wonderful replica.

I have the version with the bombproof Seagull ST-19, Venus 175 copy.. And frozen subdial@6 (the Porsche 928 is time-appropriate for the 1982 serial number on this watch.. :) Wear it well!

221980-14232.jpg

221980-14233.jpg

Yep... Manual wind 6263 is a fantastic watch.. Very understated to be a Rolex.. I would wear mine more often, if the gen had not been so expensive. In the end Omega PO and Tag Heuer are more belivable and up-to-date.

222009-14201.jpg

The 6263....

Yes, it is a wonderful replica.

I have the version with the bombproof Seagull ST-19, Venus 175 copy.. And frozen subdial@6 (the Porsche 928 is time-appropriate for the 1982 serial number on this watch.. :) Wear it well!

My goodness, I wish I could get one like that... :wub:

By the way, the 2 pics above were taken prior to movement and hands swap. The crystal though is T21, and the tube/crown is OEM.

There is no doubt that the 1st generation DW had the best bezel engraving/font.

I should tell you all that I never wear my DW's anymore. After dropping all that money, time and frustrations on these watches - I lost interest in wearing them. It's funny how things happen like that. Anyhow, I remain a collector so they will remain with me until the bitter end. And they are, at least, lovely to look at :)

*edited for spelling errors

Edited by Eunomians

It's funny how things come in and out of favor. I guess that's the life of a WIS. Once a project is completed, it's time to move onwards to the next 50 or so projects :lol:

I've always wanted to handle a Daytona 7750 or Seagull-powered unit in person. Do you guys remember the Extra Extra Daytonas? I almost went for one but, at the time, I could not justify dropping such a large amount of $$$ on a rep. I would really like to check out an Extra Extra Daytona one fine day for historical/evaluative purposes.

Hey Ubi, is the EE 6263 larger than OEM/DW? I can't remember.

I look forward to some pics if/when the EE gets a new movement ^_^

Well, since folks are diggin' all these fine vintage Daytonas - how about some more pics! These are older images... I have newer ones stored on a drive that I can't access at this moment.

223687-13710.jpg

223687-13711.jpg

223687-13712.jpg

223687-13713.jpg

223687-13714.jpg

223687-13715.jpg

223687-13716.jpg

223687-13717.jpg

223687-13718.jpg

223687-13719.jpg

223687-13720.jpg

Ahh yes, thanks for reminding me why I was going crazy over picking up one of those EE Daytonas. It was thee most accurate at the time. What a fascinating historical piece in the rep world.

I remember the intense debate I had on whether or not to pull the hefty hefty trigger on the EE. It was not a cheap watch, but man did it look sweet. Especially when it was all dolled up with the box, tags and stickers. Wow.

Best regards

freddy- DW's are still around... I think. I'll need to ask...

EE's are no longer around, I believe. These do come up on occassion on the secondary market, however. If I come across any prior to reaching the market, I'll let you know...

Thanks, Randy. Do you have a preference between the two -- DW and EE -- and why?

I am looking specifically for a black dial non-Oyster PN with button pushers. I have a really nice Venus/Lemania (whichever) based rep, which is very good except that the lower subdial cuts into the white outer bank of the dial so there is no black border between the bottom of the sub dial and the black portion of the dial, and the case is too thick (it is probably the same case used for WM & MBW Sea Dwellers) and does not have asymmetrical pushers. If one of these DW or EE models (with asymmetrical pushers and correct dials, etc) are still available, I would be very interested.

I just thought of something -- The pre-Daytona Rolex chronos sold by Josh and Andrew and some others have thinner cases and 19mm lug spacing. With the exception of asymmetrical pushers, these cases are probably pretty close to correct for the PN Daytona. Have you (or anyone else) tried to fit a Venus/Lemania movement into those cases?

Thanks, Randy. Do you have a preference between the two -- DW and EE -- and why?

Think it all depends on what your end goal is.

DW is nice for two reasons- 1) the model with the mystery (misery) movement can be easily changed out for a Swiss V23- All you need is the movement and the right hands. Upgrade the crystal crown and tube with gen, and you have a very nice watch that should last a very long time with regular servicing. 2) If you go with a V72 case kit from DW, it's also a pretty straight forward swap, though each case/movement fitting combo may have it's own specific nuances that might not apply to another similar DW case/movement combination (it's never always guaranteed that these things will go together hassle free, so expect a little massaging to get everything to mesh together).

The EE is nice as I believe it to be a similar case to the DW V72; I have not tried fitting a V72 into one just yet, but I suspect it should work. The downside to replacing the 7750 clone movement with a V72 is that you'll have to source a new dial, hands and caseback to get everything just right. If you plan on keeping it as a 7750, then you're set.

I myself went with a DW watch with mystery movement swapped to a V23, but that's because I already had the watch and the cost for the V23 just couldn't be passed up :) If I were to do it all again, I'd probably go with a V72 case from DW and add the movement. It would require less footwork tracking down the parts needed for the swap, and you'll end up with a nice Cosmo with as near original movement as possible ticking away under the caseback :)

Well, the EE simply has a taller caseback to accomodate the rotor. Otherwise, the dimensions are quite similar.

One thing about the DW mystery movement case- The rehaut is taller since the V23 and mm are a bit thinner in profile vs. the 7750 and V72. This must be a result of the 12 hour counter function not being present. So, ultimately, you want- 1) shallow rehaut 2) low profile case back 3) crown in-line with pushers 4) asymmetrically spaced pushers 5) 37mm diameter case (not counting the crown) 6) 19mm lugs.

The case that fills those requirements the closest is the DW V72 case kit (or the one from Dinh)...