When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone have watch confiscated or threatened at AD?

jomama

By -Tor: seems as though we've struck a nerve my friend "idiot", "braindead"? Who cares if they want to do so? Maybe things are different in EU. If I had Gen i would wear, but my gen Sieko doen't get me any attention if I want to look at watches.

I'l let you all know when I have one confiscated. It should be a humorous story. Unfortunatly, I don;t think it will ever be a story I have to tell.

By-tor is old school. What he considers the rules of the road, proper etiquette etc. for rep owners is not necessarily what everybody on this board thinks, I think he'd be the first to admit that. But a lot of members are old school and generally agree with his opinions, including me.

Yeah, maybe fooling AD's with your reps does make for a funny story. But I think "yeah, this might stir up needless confrontation and irritate other people, but it should make for an interesting anecdote" should probably not be the deciding basis for making your affirmative decisions in life.

By -Tor: seems as though we've struck a nerve my friend "idiot", "braindead"? Who cares if they want to do so? Maybe things are different in EU. If I had Gen i would wear, but my gen Sieko doen't get me any attention if I want to look at watches.

I'l let you all know when I have one confiscated. It should be a humorous story. Unfortunatly, I don;t think it will ever be a story I have to tell.

Eh!? Your not getting any attention because your wearing a Seiko to an AD so instead you wear a rep! What's the Sales guy going to think about your 'purchasing potential' when he finds out you're too cheap to wear an original of something.....well I supose you will get some sort of attention!

It's not your Seiko that dosen't get you any attention it's you! Smarten up, look the part, have a [censored], shave and a shower...its the way you look and act not the Seiko on your wrist that'll get the sales guys attention.

It's not your Seiko that dosen't get you any attention it's you! Smarten up, look the part, have a [censored], shave and a shower...its the way you look and act not the Seiko on your wrist that'll get the sales guys attention.

I always wear a Seiko into an AD when I'm going to try on watches. It makes sense as it shows you appreciate mechanical watches but need something more expensive. A Seiko Monster is a well-respected watch, and anyone that doesn't appreciate it (they don't have to like it) isn't going to be educated enough to give you actual information about the watch they're trying to sell you.

I went onto a dealers in Bangkok with my brother. His gen PO didn't get beyond a cursory glance, but a saleswoman complemented my Seiko - they assumed his gen was fake. It was rather funny. :D

If you're not getting any love from the salespeople, stick your nose in the air and talk louder, like stupid rich people do, maybe while employing a silly accent. If you're going to fake having money, at least be funny about it. If they're stupid enough to fall for a fake watch, they may be stupid enough to fall for the fake accent. :Jumpy:

The only thing worse than showing an AD how good our reps are is posting replica pics to a gen forum.

lol... You guys really need a specific watch to get attention from salespeople? I am 18 and had over 10 Omegas and many others on... over 4 times in the omega shop... no problems ever. They respected me like they should every customer..

Sounds to me like they 'respected' you because they saw you with so many Omegas :whistling:

Please don't confuse respect for hunger ;)

Eh!? Your not getting any attention because your wearing a Seiko to an AD so instead you wear a rep! What's the Sales guy going to think about your 'purchasing potential' when he finds out you're too cheap to wear an original of something.....well I supose you will get some sort of attention!

NRG: you are correct. It is the attitude that counts. I should add that I have been unshaven, constipated and wear no pants or underwear into the dealers. I will change this tactic going forward...good advice.

By-tor: I agree completely. I don't think anyone should bring reps to dealers with the intent to challange, fool or brag about it being a rep. Just stupid with no positive result. My point was sometimes if you have a high end watch on, you get a little more attention (at least in Scottsdale). I also think the risk of passively wearing a good rep in a dealer is overblown (in terms of confiscation). That was my point of the post; to find out if anyone actually had an "incident".

Thanks all. Fun reading.

My experience, most of the salespeople are idiots themselves. In any country.

I equate them to luxury car salespeople working the commision and knowing squat about even the most general of crown function operation. You either play the part that you can afford something or they want nothing to do with you.

Now the watchmaker, service people and technicians. That's a different breed and I don't try to pull anything (not like I ever have) over them in a Licenced Dealer or Jeweller.

Often very true. When I was in an Omega AD on thursday and asked to look at the LE 45 PO, the assistant showed us to seats, offered us coffees, and then went over to the cabinet. After practically climbing inside the cabinet (and easily a minute or more's deliberation), she called over another assistant, and had to be shown which watch I was talking about... Now, it could have been her first day, in which case I would allow such a lapse, but under any other circumstances, would consider it unacceptable for someone to not be able to immediately identify any product in their store a customer asked about. I wouldn't hold it against the assistant at all, but I do put it down to poor product awareness training on the part of the management...

:black_eye: Haha! Yeah, like a ride across the top of a display case....or through it. THIS IS SPARTA!!!!!!!!!

LOLLLLLLL -- Funny, off topic story

A year ago, my current wife had her first baby and it was a Cesarean ordeal. Our OB Dr. is the same OB that delivered my other four so I know him pretty well and I have his home phone number (relevant later).

After discharge, I took her home and took a hand ful of prescriptions to my closest Walgreens to fill - It's the same place I have had prescriptions filled for ten years or better which is also relevant later.

The Pharmacist was a little guy (from India I think) and I could hear him having an argument with some customers as I gave his assistant the scripts. Some lady was obviously very [censored] off - but I left the scripts which would be ready within an hour.

I came back, and was paid for the batch of meds, but noticed that I only had four things whereas I had expected five. The assistant went back to the box the put meds in and verified that she hadn't missed anything while I examined the meds she gave me. She returned to assure me that I got all there was, but by that time I had determined that the pain pills were missing. She went to ask the Pharmacist.

Arrogant little [censored] Pharmacist [enter stage left]

He came over with the script in hand saying he could not fill it because it was for a narcotic and the Dr. had not completely filled it out - all he put on it was her name (I have a very uncommon last name). I still had the release papers with me that explained the post cesarean cautions which I showed him and pointed out that it would be malprictice to send someone home after that kind of surgery with no pain meds - I suggested he give me the script and I'd fill in the information he needed.

No way.

I said fine, let's call the Doc and he'll verify that everything is OK

He said it was too late - after hours

I said call him at home - he said they didn't have a list of home phone numbers

I told him that I had the number - he said he couldn't use a number I provided

By now . . . and you gotta remember that after four kids, I have just been thru my first really difficult birth experience and my little wifey is at home waiting in pain for these meds that I had been waiting an hour for . . . Bill was getting a little bit [censored] off.

I told him, with all the calm I could muster, "OK, just give me the script and I'll deal with this"

He said, "No."

By this time there are a bunch of people backed up, all of whom are very keen to see how this little drama plays out, and I am trying very, very hard not to lose my temper with this little fookwit.

I said, "Fill it, or give it back, but my wife needs thos pills and I am not leaving without one or the other."

[censored] said, in an arrogant, patronizing way that just crawled all over me, "This is a defective prescription and I am not going to give it back to you."

Now, remembering that he has at least ten years worth of pharmacy records at his finger tips, and all our information (the very information that was not on the script) is right there, how fooking ridiculous is this - especially since he had just filled a prescription for a brand new member of our family, and knowing that no doctor is going to send a woman home after a C-Section with no pain meds.

I am not a, "They all look alike" kind of guy. I know the difference between a Hindu Indian, and a Muslim Iraqi, but that didn't keep me from "shock and aweing" his little ass.

Anyway, your "ride across the counter" comment reminded my why I no longer deal with Walgreens.

Bill

Bill,

I really "fookin" hate cliffhangers; you've gotta tell me how this ended as it reminds me of the [censored] pharmacists I dealt with after my wife had our first son. Not cesarian, but It's still mind-numbingly frustrating dealing with these f'in retail robots. Let's hear how it ended.

Bryan

LOLLLLLLL -- Funny, off topic story

A year ago, my current wife had her first baby and it was a Cesarean ordeal. Our OB Dr. is the same OB that delivered my other four so I know him pretty well and I have his home phone number (relevant later).

After discharge, I took her home and took a hand ful of prescriptions to my closest Walgreens to fill - It's the same place I have had prescriptions filled for ten years or better which is also relevant later.

The Pharmacist was a little guy (from India I think) and I could hear him having an argument with some customers as I gave his assistant the scripts. Some lady was obviously very [censored] off - but I left the scripts which would be ready within an hour.

I came back, and was paid for the batch of meds, but noticed that I only had four things whereas I had expected five. The assistant went back to the box the put meds in and verified that she hadn't missed anything while I examined the meds she gave me. She returned to assure me that I got all there was, but by that time I had determined that the pain pills were missing. She went to ask the Pharmacist.

Arrogant little [censored] Pharmacist [enter stage left]

He came over with the script in hand saying he could not fill it because it was for a narcotic and the Dr. had not completely filled it out - all he put on it was her name (I have a very uncommon last name). I still had the release papers with me that explained the post cesarean cautions which I showed him and pointed out that it would be malprictice to send someone home after that kind of surgery with no pain meds - I suggested he give me the script and I'd fill in the information he needed.

No way.

I said fine, let's call the Doc and he'll verify that everything is OK

He said it was too late - after hours

I said call him at home - he said they didn't have a list of home phone numbers

I told him that I had the number - he said he couldn't use a number I provided

By now . . . and you gotta remember that after four kids, I have just been thru my first really difficult birth experience and my little wifey is at home waiting in pain for these meds that I had been waiting an hour for . . . Bill was getting a little bit [censored] off.

I told him, with all the calm I could muster, "OK, just give me the script and I'll deal with this"

He said, "No."

By this time there are a bunch of people backed up, all of whom are very keen to see how this little drama plays out, and I am trying very, very hard not to lose my temper with this little fookwit.

I said, "Fill it, or give it back, but my wife needs thos pills and I am not leaving without one or the other."

[censored] said, in an arrogant, patronizing way that just crawled all over me, "This is a defective prescription and I am not going to give it back to you."

Now, remembering that he has at least ten years worth of pharmacy records at his finger tips, and all our information (the very information that was not on the script) is right there, how fooking ridiculous is this - especially since he had just filled a prescription for a brand new member of our family, and knowing that no doctor is going to send a woman home after a C-Section with no pain meds.

I am not a, "They all look alike" kind of guy. I know the difference between a Hindu Indian, and a Muslim Iraqi, but that didn't keep me from "shock and aweing" his little ass.

Anyway, your "ride across the counter" comment reminded my why I no longer deal with Walgreens.

Bill

Bill,

I really "fookin" hate cliffhangers; you've gotta tell me how this ended as it reminds me of the [censored] pharmacists I dealt with after my wife had our first son. Not cesarian, but It's still mind-numbingly frustrating dealing with these f'in retail robots. Let's hear how it ended.

Bryan

Oh I thought I did.

The little puke didn't understand that I was seriously willing to kick the living [censored] out of him over that script. Once I was on his side of the counter, he could hear me better.

The thing that amazed me was the fact that he didn't call the cops. I suspect that either he had no right to hold the script, or someone in management realized how that would look in the news.

You ever see that movie "fight club?" The part of the movie where they all decided to introduce people to the glory of a good punch-up by picking fights with total strangers (that they would deliberately lose) was the most insightful thing I have seen in a movie -- ever.

It's the same thing at a lot of homicide scenes. It's classic - Two guys, often in a bar, get into an argument. One guy gets mad, and the other doesn't understand that things are really serious until he's dead.

My apologies for hijacking the thread.

Bill

I wore my Corum Admirals Cup Ragetta to the AD once. The owner and I actually went out for lunch a couple hours later. His sales representatives were fooled, but he was not. He fell at first, but started noticing minor things after closer inspection.

Epoch:

What was the reuslt of the AD when he noticed? Did he get into it or was he [censored]? Not that it matters but curious. I dont think the generagl public, let alone dealers have any clue how good some of the reps are in the market these days.

Can we keep this to ourselves?? I don't want anyone else playing in our little secret :)

Speaking of ignorant sales assistants, when I was out ready to buy my gen speedy I obviously wanted the best deal, so I toured the various high end jewellers ready to deal that day.

In the first shop the girl behind the counter didn't know what a 'moon watch' was and started scrolling through her on-line catalogue while there was one in the display behind her!

She asked me 'was it the quartz speedmaster you wanted?'

At this point I politely excused myself and went to a shop that trained its staff well enough to deserve over

Epoch:

What was the reuslt of the AD when he noticed? Did he get into it or was he [censored]? Not that it matters but curious. I dont think the generagl public, let alone dealers have any clue how good some of the reps are in the market these days.

Can we keep this to ourselves?? I don't want anyone else playing in our little secret :)

Not at all. I was in there trying on watches and the sales representative asked to clean my watch. I took it off and he cleaned it and gave it back. Then I gave it to the owner to look at it. The story was that I took the watch in there because it was 'not keeping accurate time'. After a few minutes the owner called me to his office and pointed out the flaws. He was acutually impressed with the overall 'feel' and look of the watch. Basically, indistinguishable to the untrainded eye. After that we walked across the street and ate lunch..mainly I listened to his stories and we exchanged our list of favorite watches. I had told him that my wife had bought the watch for me while in Chicago. He just hoped I did not pay to much for it. It was a nice learning experience.

I believe that I have once been the intended target for an AD's confiscation.

It all happened a few months ago when I walked into a local Rolex dealership wearing my new (beautiful) Rolex Turn-O-Graph from Joshua. As I was switching it from my left hand to right hand, the guy behind the counter, let's call him Muhammed, noticed it. Interested, he started telling me what a great choice I had made to buy the TOG, that it was unique and original; his eyes obviously gleaming and ready to make a sale. You don't see many Rolexes in my little hick town (ottawa, canada) unless they're behind the counter of Muhammed's store!

He then asked for me to let him take a look at the watch. I told him that "after one incident involving a dropped watch, Im careful to pass it around." Dissapointed, he continued to try very very hard to sell me a Daytona. I mean really, he was treating me like Royalty so I guess maybe he bought it... but for a second there I was very nervous, as you can imagine...

thank you for listening