When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Another failure

export

Bought for my Father for Xmas, lasted one week before a crown fault meant the date wouldnt adjust , oh and the back was loose and no o ring etc.

Got a replacement, this lost about 2 mins a day and after a few weeks another crown fault in that the hands move when you are screwing in the crown ! and when its screwed in the hands dont move.

So now after 3 months two faulty watches.... I'm losing my faith in these reps, for

Edited by export

export -- Sorry to hear about your bad luck. You did not indicate which dealer you got the watches from, but, with a few select exceptions, reps are not made to the same quality standards that the major brands are. So you have to choose between a Seiko or Swatch for quality and longer life or a rep for status and ? life. Also keep in mind that mechanical watches require regular servicing every several years. I can say that I have collected dozens of reps over the past 20 or more years and have only had a few problems, and most of these were fixed or replaced by the dealer and without experiencing further problems.

With the above in mind, you should check out the Dealer section here and try either Josh or Andrew. Both are good dealers and tend to stand behind the watches they sell.

Most veteran members on these boards would recommend that you always purchase ETA watches. I own 50% asian, 50% eta. Luck is definitely part of the equation, but when it comes to asian it is definitely a crap shoot. For the additional 100 bucks you are spending on the eta models of the same watch, your odds of failures dramatically diminshes.

I too had a similar problem with an asian sub I got from one of our best dealers (at least he used to be considered one our best), the date wheel quit working after wearing the watch TWICE.

However the reason I bought the asian was to judge the looks of the watch. After the failure of the asian i reordered the same watch in the eta, and it is working well today.

Try it you'll like it.

Asian movements are considered throwaway movements, it's cheaper to put a new movement in there than it is to fix it, plus you can't get parts. Maybe for 25 pounds you could buy a Miyota 8215 and have it installed in your rep, maybe a little more. Like everyone says, otherwise, stick w/ ETA's- they're more dependable and can be serviced and repaired.

I've had a POS bottom-of-the-barrel Sub (you know, the ancient kind with the display back, tinfoil-thin bracelet and wrong EVERYTHING) and it runs better than all of my watches, including my Seiko kinetic professional diver. I'd never wear the thing, but it's been running perfectly for 5 years. So go figure...

• 2 weeks later...

ok thanks for the info, I guess I'm just finding the ,crap shoot thing, My first rep was a very odd moon watch that had a quartz movement and looks bit different, but I love wearing it and its lasted 5 years +.and still going strong, I put a pic on = now what do you think? it used to have tachy dial but I cleaned it off when it got scratched. - Yes you may hate it!!!!!! but as a watch I do like it,!!

My Zenith rep lasted one day before the date wheel stuck, still I got a replacement, which lasted 4 years and still going, my Submariner Asiam going well apart from the crown thread unscrewing after 2 years, fixed with glue!. Now its the fathers Subm which is this topic, hopefully the third one will last a bit better - just its a bit embarassing as he was so pleased when I got him it from Xmas and took it to the golf club to show his friends, they prob wonder why it keeps disappearing. Still he has a couple gen omegas to wear in the meantime.

So it looks like asian movements arent really worth it. Ill try ETA or even quartz one in future

post-3080-1176047748_thumb.jpg

thats exactly what happen to me with the cheaper asian movements. and may be

quality too due to the price... since then i always buy the ETA reps.. there are

a few dealers who sells them at a reasonable price compare to the asian movement

reps. check them out before buying ... its only few dollars more.....