When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage datewheel and Movement

cib0rgman

the other day I received a brochure from Jules and Borel, I was browsing thru the pages when I found this movement that has a date wheel that looks very much like a Rolex vintage date wheel.

I was wondering if someone can comment on this. I am not sure what type of movement is, but the date wheel looks really good.

Thanks for your comments.

228255-12755.jpg

the other day I received a brochure from Jules and Borel, I was browsing thru the pages when I found this movement that has a date wheel that looks very much like a Rolex vintage date wheel.

I was wondering if someone can comment on this. I am not sure what type of movement is, but the date wheel looks really good.

Thanks for your comments.

228264-12754.jpg

Maybe...but I can tell you from personal experience that buying Chinese movements from Clockspares or Ofrei and getting them to fit in replica cases and fitting replica dials and hands is not an endeavor for the novice watch tinkerer. I was dissatisfied 4 times out of 5. As for the movement, yes, the wheel looks wide enough to fit in the date opening on Rolex dials. Whether it is centered, whether you can mount the dial or fit the hands is up for grabs. The date wheel overlays used in most replicas that match font and centering are a rare item. There are some dark "psst...hey you...I got some for ya..." shadowy links to obtaining them but I've never taken the plunge. I don't think they are an item you can just purchase one of.

Most of what we are seeing is the DG2813 these days, the watch right above it in the catalog. It's the movement in Josh's Beginmariner and a bunch of other watches. It's a chinese miyota copy, so to speak.

I'm not sure which rep watches use the ST6D. The hand sizes on it are oddball, so I don't know where you'd get a set of hands. If you're buying the watch movt strictly for the datewheel and as an experiment, no big deal. $13 is cheap. But like crys says, it probably wouldn't be an easy chore putting it in a watch unless it was a direct swap out for the same movement.