When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Seiko Oxygen Countdown?

diggs

The recent diver 200 posts got me interested in a monster. While watching a few on ebay waiting for a good deal I noticed the 200 Oxygen Countdwon model which looks interested. Any of the Seiko collectors have any input or should I stick with the monster?

that's just the 'bullet' version of the SKX 007/009 style 200m divers. i have no idea where 'oxygen' came from in the listing unless it's a translation problem and refers to the divers countdown bezel? they were popular when they first came out and the uncommon color chapter rings make for some cool frankens. the lume is not as good as a monster (almost no other seiko is) and not quite as good as the plain 007/009 divers. mostly just because the bullet shaped markers are smaller. same case and crown and bezel and hands and bulletproof 7S26 movement as the classic 007/007 divers :)

if you like the orange/back/white combo best, go for it :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I love the +/- 15 seconds a MONTH in the description :) I think more than a few things are lost in translation. This watch is admired for its value on the Seiko/Citizen board. This watch LOOKS like it's a moded 007 in some ways. I would echo what longshot said, if the color combo does it for you, it would be hard to argue with a purchase...........pull the trigger :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I love the +/- 15 seconds a MONTH in the description :) I think more than a few things are lost in translation. This watch is admired for its value on the Seiko/Citizen board. This watch LOOKS like it's a moded 007 in some ways. I would echo what longshot said, if the color combo does it for you, it would be hard to argue with a purchase...........pull the trigger :thumbsupsmileyanim:

i didn't see the /-15 seconds a month :black_eye: :black_eye:

the 7S26 is actually about a 10/15 second a day movement. i've had a couple dozen 7S26 (and date only 7S36 movement) watches and about 10 seconds a day is what you can hope to get. they are a very simple and robust mass produced movement and eben when regulated to run better do not tend to hold that for very long. but they will also run a very very very long time without servicing, a very long time! this watch isn't a modded 007, it is an 007 ;) with a different dial and chapter ring and bezel insert. parts bin marketing at it's best!

I like this modded SKX007. Maybe you like it too.

the "poor mans marine master" :)

• SKX171 dial with bordered indicies
  • ti samurai hands
  • white on black day/date wheels in arabic
  • bill yao bezel insert

i almost built one, then just bought a marine master :D

yes, my most expensive gen is a seiko...

I am really loving these Seiko Dive watches more and more. Didn't have a great appreciation or knowledge of the genre until recently, but since purchasing the Black Monster and fitting both the SS bracelet and the various rubber straps available for this watch (these watches), I am really loving the different models.

Especially in comparison to some of the other available inexpensive divers out there.

Real quality and great looks for an inexpensive watch.

I highly recommend the 200 meter series. As often stated by other Monster owners.. the Lume on the Monster is unreal.

FUN.

I just got into these seiko divers myself. These are great watches to be obessed with, first because of the price. But there are also some very cool mods that one can do, (for ex. that's a very nice one evildee), and they even have a history and sort of cult following. I thought my wife would be more excited that I'm into an inexpensive brand for a change, but she just looked at me like, oh this is great?

I think either one would work. The size listed on the bay model is 40, so the monster is a bit larger at 42. Also, I would consider the lug size, the bad news for me is that the monster's lugs are 20, but the 007s are 22, which is better.

Actually Usil..I just ordered a SF in white...but also a Monster in Orange. There is just something about the Seiko's..rugged a total beater watch...whereas the SF assuming it's really waterproof...just looks too classy to be outside washing cars or working in the yard...let alone doing some casual diving. JMO Now the Seiko will be my first Gen :D

I just ordered the SF in white yesterday. It looks to be as promissing as my ultimate PO which I loved to wear up until the quality issues made me send it back. I do like the Seiko, however, so maybe it will go into the next purchase round for consideration.

Usil

This whole issue with the 'Waterproof' reps is a troubling one for me. At this point I would not consider wearing a rep watch in the water. Time will tell. So to speak.

For the money the 200m Seiko dive watches cannot be beat. I mean come on... a 140.00 bucks? How can you beat that?

Although the SF is a beautiful watch, I would never wear it in the water, even the shower, much less diving. And besides, my Black Monster at 42mm with the SS band is one nice looking watch even on my skinny wrist, it wears really well for a 42.

One thing too, as far as the gen vs. rep datewheel alignment issue, I notice that on the monster there is not a 'perfect' alignment every day. So I suppose that detracts from its looks? I don't think so. Just look at Pug's photos of this watch, what a beautiful piece.

I just picked up a new Black Monster off the bay ($128). After having found the Seiko/Citizen forum, and seen some of the Mods there, I'm going to send it off to Bob Thayer, and get it customized. His prices seem very reasonable. His communication is excellent, and his reputation is solid. He is US based. Attached a few pics from his site to get your blood going :whistling: His site very much worth checking out if you want to make that monster or 007 "your own".

Seiko Mods by Bob Thayer

229520-12470.jpg

229520-12471.jpg

229520-12472.jpg

229520-12473.jpg

229520-12474.jpg

229520-12475.jpg