When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need members advice!

ajoesmith

Hi Guys

Ive been member here for a while and over on TRC for over a year. Ive loved watches for a long time before reps, and well i suppose you could say im an enthusiast.

I would like to buy a new rep but not sure which one to buy.

I dont want the Hublot BB, Breitling Steelfish, IWC pilot? chrono, Panerai Ferrari (although very nice). Im not a fan of Rolexes either.

Here are my reps so far:

Breitling Chrono Avenger Old style with good bezel and pearl, currently waiting for an ETA 7750 to swap for the Asian movement.

Cartier Tank, ETA 2000

Franck Muller Conquistador ETA 2892 black dial

IWC GST Titanium - just installed with Gen dial

Omega

Seamaster SMP Bond, old style from closed factory

Seamaster Bond with special dial - I asked members a while back about it and nobody knows, seems like its a one off and im the only person who has one, a real keeper!!! http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=20306&hl=

Planet Ocean Black

Speedmaster Schumacher legend, white dial with black subdials - Gorgeous watch, highly recommend it, simply beautiful

Speedmaster moon, Seagull venus 175 copy

Panerai

PAM 27 ETA 2892 with Soprod power reserve - Nice!!

PAM 29 ETA 2892, although in pieces and lacking a GMT hand - If anyone can help id would be most grateful

PAM 63 ETA 2892 GMT

PAM 89 Titanium GMT anthracite Dial

PAM 92 Arktos, not received yet but on the way

PAM 90 asian power reserve, not received yet but ill swap the case for a standard 44mm PAM case without the date pusher.

PAM 212

Tag Heuer Link Chrono blue dial

Ive also previously owned:

Omega orange PO, Iwc Ingenieur SS, PAM 253, IWC aquatimer, PAM 111, PAM 183, PAM 192...... and others

Any ideas as to what i can get next?? Id like anythig with an ETA 2824/2836/2892 or asian chrono. mostly under $250 - $300

Ive been looking at the IWC Ingenieur AMG Titanium

Any other suggestions??

Thanks

By the way, please dont ask if any watches are for sale.

Here is a watch I have only seen on King's website. It is the Cartier Santos 100 on a bracelet. Awesome looking watch and quite accurate. I will be picking one of these up for myself shortly. I am surprised we haven't seen more of this. Also you didn't mention that you have the Breitling EVO or that you don't want it. If the Cartier doesn't float your boat then the EVO is the next logical choice IMO. I have the Ingy chrono non-AMG and love it. It is a bulky thick watch though and can be difficult to wear at times.

post-1628-1175785106_thumb.jpg

post-1628-1175785137_thumb.jpg

post-1628-1175785153_thumb.jpg

Adding to your collection is such a personal thing even I don't know sometimes what I will add to mine until I have given it a lot of thought. Clearly you are beyond the stage of having just a few you like to wear or maybe you have not yet made the culling to that level. Buying pesonal items and I include cars, is never buying what you need but buying what you want. So if I were to guess I would suggest the following:

1. The Vacheron Constatin Overseas has tickeled my fancy for quite a while. Classy and in line with the size of your other watches so it does not look out of place.

2. The IWC Ingenieur also falls into this category and similar to the same reasons for #1.

3. The Breitling Bentely GT - new back version looks nice. And if you like the two tone look, see Trusties trimmed in gold. A very nice looking watch that really stands out for the Bentley. I have no two tones but every time I compare all the Bentleys, this one stands out as the best looking. Size is nice too.

That is my suggestions.

Usil

Edited by Usil

Yes i have considered the Breitling Evo but i like the Chrono avenger more and going to put an ETA 7750 in it so not going to bother with the Evo

As for the VC overseas i actually had one a while ago and liked it but didnt really give it much wrist time.

I realize that buying a watch is a personal thing and can only be decided by the person but there are so many nice watches these days its hard to choose.

Im still heading towards the IWC Ingenieur AMG unless anyone has other suggestions??

Also i dont like gold watches or square cases (look too big), so the cartier santos 100 is out

First of all you have a beautiful collection. High quality reps. Good job.

with all the controversy I feel awkward making this recommendation, but honestly the watch that's getting the most of my wrist time is the B&R from J/A.

I wasn't sure I was going to like the watch at all..... honestly I bought it knowing the movement wasn't the best (but I trust J/A will send me a new movement cheap if needed). Once I got the watch it just stayed on my wrist. months later, still on my wrist.

I saw on Josh's site that the rubber B&R strap is coming out. Another plus.

Finally, I'm going to drill my case out and put real hex bolts in where they are drawn in now to make it near perfect.

First of all you have a beautiful collection. High quality reps. Good job.

with all the controversy I feel awkward making this recommendation, but honestly the watch that's getting the most of my wrist time is the B&R from J/A.

I wasn't sure I was going to like the watch at all..... honestly I bought it knowing the movement wasn't the best (but I trust J/A will send me a new movement cheap if needed). Once I got the watch it just stayed on my wrist. months later, still on my wrist.

I saw on Josh's site that the rubber B&R strap is coming out. Another plus.

Finally, I'm going to drill my case out and put real hex bolts in where they are drawn in now to make it near perfect.

I have thought of the B&R but its huge!!!!!. I saw it at the local jewellers and it would just look silly on my wrist.

Have you given the LV Tambour a look?

Ken

I have but only for a split second as its a LV

LV is a brand that i simply dont like. I hate the ladies handbags because of the crap LV design and i really dont understand why they are so popular.

So basically i dont like LV so even if they release a really beautiful watch but it says LV, i wont buy it.

I think im not alone here.......

I have but only for a split second as its a LV

LV is a brand that i simply dont like. I hate the ladies handbags because of the crap LV design and i really dont understand why they are so popular.

So basically i dont like LV so even if they release a really beautiful watch but it says LV, i wont buy it.

I think im not alone here.......

I got custom spotted lizard straps made for my wife and I on our LV's. I love it.

as for the BR being too large.... hmmm. I wear it with a 7.25 inch wrist and I love it.

Damn, all this talk about the IWC AMG Titanium - I just saw one from a forum member (TRC) listed for 145 Euro (worn only a few times) and just snapped it up.

I will let you know what it is like when I get it and send a few shots.

Usil

Edited by Usil

I would go with the PAM 063. I had the Ti GST but the rotor was way too loud and the crown too loose. Try on the IWCs before you buy. Yes, they are accurate. That doesn't mean you will love them.

?????

I already have the PAM 63 and the IWC GST Ti

anyway think ill go for the Ingenieur AMG Ti

Thanks

?????

I already have the PAM 63 and the IWC GST Ti

anyway think ill go for the Ingenieur AMG Ti

Thanks

I think the Ingenieur AMG Ti is a super watch. There is something about the Ingenieur in Ti that makes that watch real special. But you already know that with having the GST ;)

Hi Joe....

I recently bought the TAG Carrera Steel Chrono for my brother... that is a great watch... with one of the best rep-bracelets I have seen so far. The movement (new Asia7750 / 28.800) runs smooth and it is a beautiful but not fancy watch.

Joe, you should stick to the super reps. Is there a specific reason that you're deciding at this point to stear clear of any of the newer watches, other than the titanium Ingy?

I might've missed it, and if it's a stylistic thing, whereby none of those watches hold any appeal for you from an aesthetic standpoint, then I understand completely. But if it's a pricing thing, or if it's a moral stance as a result of the whole cartel thing- I think you might be doing yourself a disservice by taking these off your list. I also should qualify my comments by saying that I'm not looking to try to incite any tangent conversation about any of the recent crazyness, but am rather trying to understand your buying decision criteria.

If I were you, my list would be:

1) HBB

2) Breitling Evo Ultimate

In terms of your happiness when you get it on your wrist, I think these two would have the most impact on an experienced collector like yourself. That being said, maybe you're trying to avoid the asian chronos, which I can understand- even if I think you should just get it serviced anyways and not let that stop you....especially where the HBB is concerned.

But I digress.

The watch you should get is: THE STEELFISH!!!

Yup. That's the one you should get. Your previous specifications be damned. You don't want an asian, which is hard to argue with, but you do have a breity in your collection, so you obviously don't dislike them as a brand- and that's the one you should be looking at.

I'll leave the dial colour up to you! :lol:

Guest chronomat123
If I were you, my list would be:

1) HBB

2) Breitling Evo Ultimate

I agree. The Asian mov't in the HBB poses significant reliability questions. Get the BCE Ultimate. It's available in TT, SS, ina wide variety of dial options.

I just lost my long reply, which of course I find *delightful*, but my post was basically an attempt to clarify the nature of the modification made to the 7750 for the HBB. My understanding was that it was a couple of transfer gears that wouldn't really impact the movement that much, from a stress standpoint.

A lot of people are talking as though this is a seconds at 6 movemen we're discussing here. BigRedJoe on the darkside who does mods even said that a couple of dealers privately told him to stay away from the HBB, and yet at the same time made a recommendation for the BCE.

It doesn't make sense to me. The Zigmeister indicated that the 7750 with the HBB layout shouldn't effect movement reliabililty. Who is right on this?

The seconds are still at 9 with the HBB, and I believe that's by far the most critical to the stability of the movement.