When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Joshua's 5th gen. VS Trusty's 4th gen. PLANET OCEAN

Rolexman

Here's Joshua's:

Correct Planet Ocean Engraving on Clasp

Nickel Plated Swiss Eta 2824-2 Automatic movement,

Omega insignia on Rotor

Anti magnetic Cover,

Nickel plated Movement Holder

Sapphire crystal AR Coated

Water-resistant

Diameter 40mm

I also observe: Correct curved bracelet, nice pearl, correct engraved PO on case back, wrong Omega logo and bad 12, 9 and 6 font. The three lignes Co-axial-Chronometer-600/2000ft are spaced too close. Too faint date font.

21149-2231.jpg

21149-2232.gif

21149-2233.gif

21149-2234.gif

21149-2235.gif

Here's Andrew's

Swiss ETA movement 2824-2

Black Bezel

42.5mm with crown included

Rotatable Bezel

Sapphire Glass

Engraved Case Back - 100% correct

LOOK AT THE LATEST CLASP - Engraved with the 100% correct font of PLANET OCEAN

Curved Bracelet like genuine version

I read somewhere: PO on case back not engraved but etched, plastic movement holder and no Anti-magnetic cover or AR coating (edit: It does have AR coating).

21149-2236.jpg

21149-2237.jpg

21149-2238.jpg

21149-2239.jpg

21149-2240.jpg

I already ordered Andrew's because his dial is more accurate in my opinion and I think Joshua's case is too small (40mm)

Any other opinions??

Edited by Rolexman

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

DAMN mann....you have answered my question...thanks dude...thats really good comparison...since last nite I cant really sleep..coz..there are alot of PO watches outthere...and I dont really know how to compare which 1 is more look like the GEN...

anyway...how bout the Price? ..which one is cheaper ?..is the Thrusty is cheaper the one that you ordered?...nice one dude...good choice....

:)

Trusty's has a plastic movement ring an easy change out but something I don't like.. the braclet is also needs some work I think I am just going to swap it outfor a strap. But a very very nice rep. A little thicket then the 3rd gen from neil. Man I need to stop buying PO's hehehe

Any comparison on the orange ? :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I see that one is also available on an orange band with deployant clasp. I'd like both that and the bracelet if it's easy to change. B)

The hour marker should be squared, not rounded and the crown should be a bit longer. IMO Andrew's is much closer. But darn Andrew, why the cheapy plastic movement retainer?

Is there any advantage to having a plastic movement retainer over a metal one, or vice versa?

I think .... size is the same on both.

Joshua's is 40 mm excl crown (i think) and Andy's is 42.5 incl crown.

What are the sizes of the genuine watches? I'm pretty the larger size is 45mm, and the smaller is 42.5 or 43mm (not sure on this one).

Is there any advantage to having a plastic movement retainer over a metal one, or vice versa?

I do not think there is an dvantage between plastic and metal, It is just me, anal,,,you know :p

Seriously....I have three watches that I recieved not working at all. All the problems pointed to the plastic retainer. They were not properly seated when the caseback was closed that it was binding with the movement. I have to open the caseback and re seat the plastic inside. Where as if it is the metal retainer, it will not close if not seated properly. Just my experience.

Edited by HighDef

There is also another review on a 5th gen P.O. over at TRC. I'll post a snippet from the orignal post for those who don't visit there:

5th generation P.O. disappointing...

"The friend had seen pics of my 4th gen P.O. from Neil/TTK and loved it. The 5th gen was supposed to have a better caseback and better HE valve placement and correct 'Planet Ocean' engraving on the clasp.

So I sent my friend my 4th gen (with the bracelet cleaned and polished and oiled, sigh) and a little money back as he was leaving on vacation and wanted to have both the 1950 and the Omega. He was happy

Well today the 5th gen Planet Ocean arrived and it is IMHO a big disappointment.

The Omega logo that is a chrome applique on the genuine and my 4th gen is just white paint

The hands are too short and look 'cheap'?

The HE valve is the same as the 4th gen, no improvement

The crystal is very, very high domed and has no AR

The only things I can see that are any better than the 4th gen are that the clasp is engraved, the caseback is a bit nicer and the crown sits closer in when screwed in (that may actually be too far in though)."

NOTE: This is not my review...it is someone elses I cut and pasted from the other board. I am looking to buy one myself.

Edited by Fuzzy

i did a complet review of andrews po a month ago , but i may have forgot to post if over here so i will do so now for u

HEY ARCHIBALD , trustys is more correct on the size u were referring to , go read my post about it ok and it does have nice ar coating

never mind i already posted it over here and i did a more measureable review tonight on it, i thought i did lmao

u guys must have missed it , roflmao

i did this a while back but i guess it is like the old rwg people dont read here either lmao lmao lmao lol, im joking with u guys

here r some ar coating shots for u so u can see it has that blue/purplish hue to it , a very nice touch i might add

21602-2021.jpg

21602-2022.jpg

21602-2023.jpg

heres a movment shot for u as well

21602-2024.jpg

a pic of the date font more like how it really is , pretty good huh

21602-2025.jpg

i did a complet review of andrews po a month ago , but i may have forgot to post if over here so i will do so now for u

HEY ARCHIBALD , trustys is more correct on the size u were referring to , go read my post about it ok and it does have nice ar coating

Hmmmm...very interesting. Joe measured Andrew's version:

i measured it right at 42mm like 41.95 to be exact lol and right at 44.5 with crown , so pretty close to the genuine one

That makes me feel a lot better...I can deal w/ .5mm. Does anyone know if Omega's 42.5 is the width of the case or the bezel?

One thing that puzzles me is is that I can't believe the dealers would advertise a 41.95mm watch as 40mm..seems like they would be costing themselves some money. On the other hand, I've found over the years that when reps are slightly different in size from the gen, the makers tend to make them a little more accurate with less visible intentional flaws. This is a tough call.